Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Tried A Little Night Shooting
#5
When I went through rifle training for my PD to be issued a rifle we did a night shoot. I ended up being issued a Colt M-16 A1 with semi auto FCG. We shot prone from 50 yards and we were paired shooter/observer. On command the observer would illuminate the Target with his rechargeable Mag-Light. I had put a tritium front post on my assigned rifle and we were shooting at man size shilloettes. I had an obivious advantage as my group was all nicely center high chest and everyone else target looked like it had been shot by buckshot. We also did some varied distance shooting from the dark onto illuminated targets.

This training is even different than low light pistol/shotgun training as there your a lot closer and doing a lot more moving. I guess since the Department didn't issue weapon mounted lights we did not conduct any very low light CQB training for the rifle like we did with the pistol and shotgun. I am a firm believer in having a light mounted on any rifle or shotgun that maybe used for defense or late night animal control. I even put lights on my rimfire training rifles.

Fortunately the wind tends to die down at night in my area as long as a front is not coming through. You never realize how much situational awareness you loose unless you train and work in those conditions. Our training was very rarely cancelled because of weather, maybe for close lightening otherwise you trained.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Tried A Little Night Shooting - by PredatorDown - 11-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Tried A Little Night Shooting - by lead chucker - 11-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Tried A Little Night Shooting - by kbarnes12 - 11-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Tried A Little Night Shooting - by PredatorDown - 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Tried A Little Night Shooting - by VASCAR2 - 11-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)