Posts: 22
Threads: 4
Joined: Jan 2014
I had no idea the ordeal it would take to own a grendel. I still have yet to even fire mine yet. first it started with even finding a barrel. After waiting a few months the AR stoner barrels came in. I bought one from midway and before I had a chance to gather all my parts we find out about the chamber problems. So I ended up sending it back and buying a shilen barrel. I knew factory ammo was tuff to find at the time. So I figured no problem I would just load my own for it. I haven't added any new stuff I load for in the last couple years so for what I had been loading for I had plenty of powder and bullets. In that time I hadn't paid attention but reloading anything is now insanely hard to find. What I do find is overpriced and expensive I found some 8208 XBR yesterday 28 bucks a pound. The only 6.5 bullets I could find are 120 amax, I didn't know how sucky a bullet this is for the grendel. This bullet has to be seated over a 1/4" deeper in the case to even work. The grendel doesn't have extra compacity to give up. At every turn I run into a problem. just wanted to vent.
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
120's work just fine. They do need to be shorter but not .25". Most Hornady factory ammo is 2.245", the 120's run fine in my rifle at 2.200". As for powder the prices have been high for a good while now and probably not likely to drop. I can get well over 200 rnds out of a pound so 14ยข/rnds or less is not that bad.
I would say you are one that shouldn't own a Grendel, just follow the herd, buy a .223, or 6.8 SPC. The Grendel is not worth it for you.
Bob
Lead Chucker
Unregistered
I have 2 of the stoner barrels & although they do have a short throat they are very accurate. I also have a Satern cut rifle barrel. All will shoot under a inch with reloads. If u want a box of the nosler 123gn CCs PM me I'll cut you a good price.
Posts: 713
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2014
I just had one made by PF and I never have to worry about anything. No problem owning a Grendel at all. BANG BANG!!
maverick5582
Unregistered
I will take all the 8208 XBR I can find for 28 bucks a pound.
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
I have to disagree with Bob. Don't lose heart, the journey, while frustrating at times, is worth the traverse. When I started w the 65G, I ordered an upper from AA (2 months before the tragedy at Sandy Hook) & waited impatiently for 10 mos for delivery - having been promised 4-6 wks. In the meantime, I found some spare parts here and there and assembled a couple of additional Grendels. I collected brass as I could, and projectiles and powder when available. Squirreling away the Hornady 123g SST factory ammo was a slow process but it shot (from my rifles) like a laser.
In the process, I discovered that I enjoyed gun smithing and, in halting steps, built 3 Grendels, a Beowulf, a 300BLK, a 223, and a (large platform) 6.5Creedmoor. My son, age 14, caught the bug and just finished his first solo build. I met the good people of this forum and learned that I could turn to them for advice, counsel, and commiseration (thanks again to bwaites and LR52).
So, my advice is, take heart. Collect the bits and pieces as they come available (in particular grab whatever 123SST Hornady you can find). Your rifle will - if you are like me - shoot as well as or better than any you own, and well to the limits of the marksman wielding it.
I understand your frustration but, be assured, it will be worth it eventually.
Posts: 22
Threads: 4
Joined: Jan 2014
stokesrj Wrote:I would say you are one that shouldn't own a Grendel, just follow the herd, buy a .223, or 6.8 SPC. The Grendel is not worth it for you.
Bob
thats funny your kidding me right?? at this point I am in too far. I just didn't realize what I was in for. The problem getting ammo and in particular even reloading supplies wasn't what I anticipated. I don't mind having to order my supplies but when stuff flat out isn't available thats a problem. I also didn't think I would have a problem with the barrel and bolt. Its just been a while since I needed any powder or bullets, I don't load 223 much because its still pretty cheap for factory stuff. I am not used to going to the gun store and they have only odd ball bullets and 3 powders that I would never use like 50 bmg or something.
hidesert cowboy Wrote:I had no idea the ordeal it would take to own a grendel. I still have yet to even fire mine yet. first it started with even finding a barrel. After waiting a few months the AR stoner barrels came in. I bought one from midway and before I had a chance to gather all my parts we find out about the chamber problems. So I ended up sending it back and buying a shilen barrel. I knew factory ammo was tuff to find at the time. So I figured no problem I would just load my own for it. I haven't added any new stuff I load for in the last couple years so for what I had been loading for I had plenty of powder and bullets. In that time I hadn't paid attention but reloading anything is now insanely hard to find. What I do find is overpriced and expensive I found some 8208 XBR yesterday 28 bucks a pound. The only 6.5 bullets I could find are 120 amax, I didn't know how sucky a bullet this is for the grendel. This bullet has to be seated over a 1/4" deeper in the case to even work. The grendel doesn't have extra compacity to give up. At every turn I run into a problem. just wanted to vent.
Ah but that is the joy of Grendel builds and ownership. That which doesn't kill us makes
us a better more knowledgable man. Troubleshooting grendel issues make you a better more knowledgeable man and more able to solve your AR related issues on your own.
Ammo is able to be found more frequently. Academy as well as other place are having it in stock more often.
Well happy Grendeling.
Tango
hidesert cowboy Wrote:thats funny your kidding me right?? at this point I am in too far. I just didn't realize what I was in for. The problem getting ammo and in particular even reloading supplies wasn't what I anticipated. I don't mind having to order my supplies but when stuff flat out isn't available thats a problem. I also didn't think I would have a problem with the barrel and bolt. Its just been a while since I needed any powder or bullets, I don't load 223 much because its still pretty cheap for factory stuff. I am not used to going to the gun store and they have only odd ball bullets and 3 powders that I would never use like 50 bmg or something.
Yes, I'm kidding you, the point is that anything worth while takes some investment, the Grendel is no exception. I also had some surprises when first starting with the Grendel many years ago, got though them, no problems since.
Bob
I think cowboy may have hit on a truth. Grendel owners must be a bit mascochistic at heart. We set ourselves up for failure when we bought into the idea that the perfect cartridge would supported by the industry.
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Grendel guys are like car guys. We start with a project that seems like an easy fix but turns into a challenge that wont end until it is solved. We are just hard wired that way. That is what makes these projects fun. On second thought hm2 clark may be right about being masochistic.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
hidesert cowboy Wrote:The problem getting ammo and in particular even reloading supplies wasn't what I anticipated. I don't mind having to order my supplies but when stuff flat out isn't available thats a problem. I also didn't think I would have a problem with the barrel and bolt.
This issue was relative to many/most calibers for many many months. Right now factory Hornady SST ammo is everywhere. Powder and projectiles are coming back in my area anyhow...
I've only had pleasure owning the Grendel. There's a reason why I'm building 3 more as we speak.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
One for Thursday, one for Friday, one for...
Posts: 370
Threads: 15
Joined: Oct 2012
03-22-2014, 07:54 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM by Joseph5.)
I guess I have been fortunate. I ordered an upper from Alexander Arms and after waiting 12 months I canceled that and started looking for parts. In a month and a half I was able to purchase a Sun Devil billet reciever set, a lower parts kit, Lilja barrel, Wilson Combat Trim Rail Forearm, adjustable gas block, and QD scope mount, Maxim complete BCG and spare bolt, fifteen hundred 6.5MM Hornady bullets - 95gr VMAX, 100gr AMAX and 123 gr SST, and 2 boxes each 123 AMAX and SST factory Hornady ammo. In the years time I was waiting for the AA upper I was able to buy 12 pounds of powder and 4300 primers. I have the rifle completed except for putting the barrel on the upper reciever which I will hopefully be able to get accomplished in the next month or so. The worst part is I am in the process of moving so I have no where to set up my reloading equipment at this time and probably won't for several months. I had an unexpected job change that lead to me moving and being able to buy all of this stuff in a short period of time. Plus the new job is better all the way around for me and my family. Now if I can just get my house sold :^) If anyone wants to move to Ryegate Montana I will make you a screaming deal on a house!
Looking at very good groups will make the frustration go away.
heinz57grendel
Unregistered
I live in an area where there are three grendel owners competing for powder, bullet's, and loaded ammo. We have kept each other informed on availability and we trade. This is more of a brotherhood than a frustration. We buy all 6.5 bullets we can find and all 8208 and cfe to keep the grendel fed. I don't see this with other cartridge owners.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
heinz57grendel Wrote:I live in an area where there are three grendel owners competing for powder, bullet's, and loaded ammo. We have kept each other informed on availability and we trade. This is more of a brotherhood than a frustration. We buy all 6.5 bullets we can find and all 8208 and cfe to keep the grendel fed. I don't see this with other cartridge owners.
Give the internet a shot for supplies.
Posts: 246
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2012
I would like to echo what some others have said, hang in there it's worth it. It is a very interesting caliber/round especially in light of the performance you get from such a relatively small cartridge. More importantly it is fun to shoot and accurate. It has all but made put up my large frame ARs or at least leave them in the back of the safe.
|