Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐺
#1
Decided to take a run over to the peanut fields last night in hopes of showing a friend (Brandon) a good time. Brandon 29 years of age loves the outdoors and he also loves guns. He just bought a nice pistol but has never shot an AR before, nor has he looked through nightvision. His hunting time has been limited to the average tree squirrel, he has never shot at a medium size or big game animal. In my book I would call Brandon a pretty GREEN hunter. Nothing against being a green hunter, everyone has to start somewhere. Needless to say, I think he is off to a good start after last night.
We met at my place and I gave Brandon the ol one/two on how to operate my equipment then off we went. Once we unloaded the golf cart and loaded our equipment on it we set out to my honey hole, 2 big huge peanut fields with a dirt lane that devides them in two. As I was driving I told Brandon to fire up the spotting scope. I always get a kick out of the responces I hear once someone sets their eyes to these scopes. Like everyone else he was totally amazed at what he could see on a pitch black night. I got set up in my spot and jumped up on the back seat of my cart to gain a little elevation and right off the bat I spotted a yote. I whispered to Brandon to grab the Grendel and climb up next to me. I lowered down the bipod onto the rooftop of my cart as he turned the scope on and found the yote. Brandon was standing next to me and I could feel him shaking like a leaf on a tree.�� I asked if he had a shot and he said he did so I told him to take it. Off the saftey went and down went a yote. 125 paces later and this is what we found.
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2061/83li.jpg
We loaded up the cart and headed to the next field and I spotted about 5 or 6 hogs rootin up this farmers peanuts. We stalked up on this group from down wind and I set Brandon up 40 yards from them. I put out the trigger sticks and he positioned the Grendel on them and he sure let loose. He knocked down three of the five and was just about to jump out of his shoes. Here are a few pics.
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4637/kdr2.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3603/vfyv.jpg
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2484/xhsq.jpg
As we were finishing up our set I decided to glass the field and spotted another loaner pig around 500 yards away. I whispered to Brandon to grab the Grendel as I grabbed the trigger sticks. This hog looked pretty big from that far out but he was working his way towards the woodline. We were still downwind or really a crosswind and started towards that sucker. I knew at the pace we were going that we would not make this happen unless we picked up the pace. I let Brandon know we goota pick up the pace so we started off running in hopes of cutting this pig off before he hit the woodline. As my luck would have it we got within 80 yards and I set up the sticks again as Brandon laid up the Grendel on them. This pig stopped for just a second and Brandon let the 123gr SST loose. That pig went down like an elephant, front legs then back legs, never another move. Brandon put that round right in the side of his head. Check out this monster. Brandon is 6' at 190lbs.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2443/k3cb.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5701/7cmy.jpg
As we were celebrating this big hog kill we could hear what sounded like a waterfall. The wind picked up and a few sprinkles started to fall as a bolt of lightning sounded off in the distance. I said we gotta get out of this field. I grabbed the sticks and Brandon grabbed the Grendel and we were laughing all the way back to the cart as the rain was right behind us. We loaded up the truck and set out for home in a downpour of rain.
All in all I think Brandon got off to a great start, and that country boy sure can shoot. I was impressed!!!!
Reply
#2
Sounds like fun to me. Thanks for posting.
Drifter
Reply
#3
That hog is a freaking beast! Brandon did a nice job of cleaning up the nuisance critters, and for his first time on an AR? Lots of win in this thread.
Reply
#4
Shivesy, nice work=can we plan a trip southbound to hang with you, & yours for a wknd? We realize that you are not an Outfitter--yet we can work a deal out.

Maybe Drifter could show up on this Piggie trip?
Reply
#5
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Best,
PA
Reply
#6
that hog was a bruiser! Great story and thanks for taking the time to share the photos. Job well done, I'm sure the farmers appreciated the herd thinning
John 11:25-26
Reply
#7
Another Grendelite is born in a baptism of blood. Very nice report, thanks.
Reply
#8
Shivesy,

Fine work again! I believe Brandon has been broken in properly! Grendel use, check. Night vision, check. Target rich environment....quintuple check.

Great job bringing a new big game hunter into the fold!!!
Reply
#9
Well written story made my heart pound the way you told it. Think all of us would like to go with you to look over that peanut field!
Reply
#10
Good times!

That yote looks like it had a haircut.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)