Hey y'all. I thought it would be cool to check out everyones hunting rigs. What vehicle you use for hunting, what you carry while in the field, how you harvest animals, stuff like that.
Being an avid off roader i started building a truck specifically for hunting. I carry three knives with me everywhere i go, bone saw, food for 24 hours, weapon, ammo, flash light, side arm, and a few other items.
What do y'all take? What kind of vehicle? What do you pack?
LT.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
I am heading away for the day tomorrow to an area I chase rabbits in the morning and goats in the afternoon.
Toyota Landcruiser will carry me and my gear which is simple in that rifle and ammo, and standing tripod with knife and pack for the rabbits then rifle and ammo with Stoney Point sitting height detached bipod, knife and hockstraps, for the goats. Have rangefinder and camera in side pockets but that is about it. Carry abiout the same for deer as I do for the goats but it is minimal gear type hunts. May have a few extra's in the truck but dont get carried away with 'stuff'.
Von Gruff Wrote:I am heading away for the day tomorrow to an area I chase rabbits in the morning and goats in the afternoon.
Toyota Landcruiser will carry me and my gear which is simple in that rifle and ammo, and standing tripod with knife and pack for the rabbits then rifle and ammo with Stoney Point sitting height detached bipod, knife and hockstraps, for the goats. Have rangefinder and camera in side pockets but that is about it. Carry abiout the same for deer as I do for the goats but it is minimal gear type hunts. May have a few extra's in the truck but dont get carried away with 'stuff'.
A land cruiser! That is one of two trucks i learned to drive in. I have a real soft spot for them. I would love to see a picture of it.
LT.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
Dont have a better pic just now. It is the swb version and slightly civilised but it gets me where I need to go. Will get one tomorrow when we are in a suitable location in the hills.
I really like the setting. Guns, beautiful out doors, and a four wheel drive. Perfect!
I built a 1977 Dodge Power Wagon step side just for hunting. Rebuilt from the ground up.
LT.
Really like the stock on your rifle, nice chunk of wood. I do restoration work on firearms for a living and love good wood.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
gunrestorer Wrote:Really like the stock on your rifle, nice chunk of wood. I do restoration work on firearms for a living and love good wood.
It is a nice piece of NZ Walnut and is on my 404 Jeffery. I took lots of enjoyable time getting it there from the blank.
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
As the President of the I-hate-wood-furniture-on-weapons society...I find that absolutely hypnotic. That really is gorgeous sir. : )
Von Gruff Wrote:It is a nice piece of NZ Walnut and is on my 404 Jeffery. I took lots of enjoyable time getting it there from the blank.
![[Image: 404Jeffery050.jpg]](http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/404%20Jeffery/404Jeffery050.jpg)
Wow! Check out the color variations on the grain. Absolutely beautiful! Fantastic job.
LT.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
I also did this for my 7x57 thinking it would be my do everything riufle untill I decided on the 6.5. A blank fron the same tree. Skeletonised my own pattern into the steel buttplate and a few other one-off features.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
Back to hunting rigs though and as said earlier I was away for a hunt yesterday and had a good run on the rabbits with about 30 in the 3 hours I was on the lowland hill. Then we headed up into the high country to look for a goat but while none were to be seen it was still a great day out and a favourite place for my wife and I to have a picnic lunch during the afternoon. Anything less than a good 4WD will not get into here with much of it in the 3-5mph because of the track conditions with rock and rutts and the odd little creek with reasonable ground clearance needed.
This is one of the places we drive round and hunt down into the bluff system shown here It is about 1200 yds down to the creek and the bluffs run for about 3000yds to the other end where it opens out into a basin about 2500yds across.
Beautiful rifle at top, and beautiful country underneath. How the heck do you recover the animals?
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
LRRPF52 Wrote:Beautiful rifle at top, and beautiful country underneath. How the heck do you recover the animals?
Time and lots of effort. This is a previous hunt
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/...2801043151
![[Image: IMG_20121201_124038_zpsa57b554e.jpg]](http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u541/pclark280/IMG_20121201_124038_zpsa57b554e.jpg)
Hunting buggie for Florida wet weather.
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Nice rig hm2! Dude, I will be calling you in the spring! I drew up a machine sim. to that-yet no need, for that rig in MN.===not yet,,... I can build these rigs-have the talent, & equip. on hand.
Von -nice scenery- wow,a sniper would love to hunt there=? Ummm...? Any takers on that one? Nice truck also, gun too! Your DNA has a plenty of talent behind it=very impressive work on all you sent me-= and all that you have posted on the forum so far. I'm in awe!! The Landcruiser is a beauty-gone for good in the US. My pal had the old 1975 version-he thought it was an awesome rig back-then. Laff 2 hard upon it=it's ugly, yet a true machine. Lately--we hunt from a truck, or 2-and the wifes mini-van-w/ lots of plastic tarps in the rear-seats are out-hey, it works if need be. Kinda mimics piling the goats in the back of the L. Cruzer.... we do as needed.
Van Gruff,
Very nicely done. The grip cap and sling swivel are a nice touch. I like the lines of the stock and beautiful wood, nice package.
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
Whoa. What an impressive machine! Very nice.
LT.
I made a few stocks myself they came out well but I did not think it was enjoyable, for me it was more like nerve racking. You have done a FINE job on some really great wood. I know the time involved is MANY hours of hand work, again my hats off to you.
|