Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Help me choose a compensator for my Grendel....
#1
I want one that helps control muzzle jump, but i DO NOT want to be absoultely deaf after i shoot...Mind you, My primary purpose for this caliber is a hunting rifle...And when a whitetail crosses a clearing at 250 yds you usually don't have time to put on ear muffs....
Reply
#2
I recommend JP's tactical compensator
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php
I put one on my 22" Gren a couple months ago and you will stay on target after the shot. Once you get on bullseye with this comp and pull the trigger, the only thing that happens is a circular vibration with no muzzle rise at all. The crosshairs just vibrate around the bullseye and then settle right back onto where you were at before the trig was pulled.
It's not overly loud either like some of my phantom comps on the 5.56's.
Reply
#3
I watched a you tube video about that one...one guy said exactley what you said, but he also said it was absoultely painful to the ears...it was a 5.56 thought...
Reply
#4
every gun with a compensator is going to be "painful" to the ears, it's just at what intensity it is that you're going to have to deal with. It's not as bad as some of the others that are out there and on a scale from 1-10 with compensators, I would put my phantom at a 9 and the JP at about a 6. You're not going to get away from the noise, it's just how much can you handle. My ears are fairly sensitive and I can hunt with this compensator every day without fear that my eardrums will be damaged if that helps. Can't say the same for the phantom.
Reply
#5
I have one of the Large Tactical JP's for a .223, one of the AA Millennium breaks for my Grendel and an APS Painkiller for a 338LM. the JP has the least amount of muzzle blast that comes back at you after the round is fired and does a very good job controlling muzzle jump. The "intensity" as Chellie describes is not as bad either. The AA break is very effective. It is on a 24" LW heavy barrel so I don't get much muzzle jump. There are no ports in the top of that break to help control muzzle jump as there is not any room for them.

One thing I must say that I do like about the AA and the Painkiller breaks is that they will keep the benches on either side of you clear if shooting at a range due to the deflection angle built into the breaks. You may want to take a look at the APA Fatbastard breaks. Heard good things about them but they will have the same issue as above with muzzle blast.
Reply
#6
I have the WCI on my Grendel and do not notice any recoil, wear earmuffs so the blast does not bother me. I have an OBR with brake that gives a nosebleed, the WCI is not nearly as loud. Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.
Reply
#7
I've tried numerous brakes and comps. Some are louder than others, but everything I've tried is too loud for hunting in the absence of hearing protection. And most will b!tchslap you in the face with blast at the bench where as hearing protection is irrelevant, and a flinch can develop despite the Grendel's mild recoil.

Do yourself a favor and stick to flash hiders or thread protectors if the rifle's primary purpose is hunting.
Drifter
Reply
#8
i've got two of these on grendels and really do like them. WCI brake, though effective, is very loud.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewP...category=6
Reply
#9
COTNTOP Wrote:I have the WCI on my Grendel and do not notice any recoil, wear earmuffs so the blast does not bother me. I have an OBR with brake that gives a nosebleed, the WCI is not nearly as loud. Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.

I think that's the VAIS brake you're thinking of
http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
Reply
#10
COTNTOP Wrote:Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.

BRT offers a Covert Comp:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/index.html

And Troy offers the Claymore Brake:

http://troyind.com/%20/muzzle-devices/br...ti-caliber

But neither is currently produced to fit typical 9/16-24 Grendel muzzle threads.
Drifter
Reply
#11
My 24" Overwatch came with the old style AA comp:

[Image: oldAA.jpg]

I can see the point-of-impact through the scope with this comp.

I am diggin' the new style AA comp,,,but no experience with it:

[Image: newAA.jpg]

I'm running a SJC COMP on my AR-10 (.308) that has calmed that beast:

[Image: SJCcomp.jpg]

I'm sure they can cut one with the correct threads for your Grendel application
Reply
#12
1. Buy QD suppressor brake
2. Buy suppressor
3. Profit
Reply
#13
A suppressor would fulfill both criteria well. You'd kill the noise and reduce jump all in one whack. The only drawback would be length, since you are already sporting a 24" tube.

Since you are from WV (I think I got that right- you do live in WV as well as working in Bridgeport?)....

It is legal to hunt with a suppressor here.

Something like this can would cover you both while hunting and at the range...
[Image: DSCN0611.jpg]
Reply
#14
For hunting, I totally understand the desire to have the benefit of a brake, without the defeaning effects of any gilled or large side ported brake.

A lot of people are really liking the BattleComp for this, but I have yet to play with one.

Suppressors aren't legal to hunt with in most States, and add significant muzzle weight for a carry/stalk gun.

The comp with the ports in the front is called the Levang Linear Compensator, and I'm not sure it really helps with muzzle climb that much.

There is also the Spike's Tactical Dynacomp, and a laundry list of new muzzle devices being made every 6 months, adding to the selection.
Reply
#15
ChellieWiles Wrote:I think that's the VAIS brake you're thinking of
http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

Interesting! Anyone running the VAIS on a Grendel?
Reply
#16
I've got three PWS comps I really like them. I have a Rainier mini comp and it's brutal to shoot any where there is objects to reflect the noise back to you. The PWS comps also do a very good job reducing flash. That's what I have on my Grendel.
Reply
#17
Dogue Wrote:Interesting! Anyone running the VAIS on a Grendel?

I ordered one but left the JP Comp on my barrel without ever using the VAIS so I don't know how well it functions first hand. My cousin/gunsmith of mine uses one on two of his AR-15s and said it's one of the coolest and least loud of any comp he's ever used.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)