Posts: 783
Threads: 65
Joined: Apr 2012
Why are you switching out the Trijicon? Need more power?
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
And how much for the TAO1NSN?
After a bit more research I've added the Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST to the list and was wondering what ya'll thoughts were.
I'd like to stay under $1K which added with your previous endorsement I started looking at Vortex. There are a lot of options at that price-point - almost too much. I was also considering an Accupoint in either 3-9 or 2.5-10 but they seem a bit bulky. How do they compare to the Vortex?
Some of the Accupoints are fairly compact, especially the 1-4x24's, and the 3-9x are pretty standard at around 12" in length. If you want to stay under 1k, the Vortex is extremely difficult to beat. Many companies are responding, but I haven't seen anything yet with all the same features, especially zero-stop, awesome turrets, and matching reticles to knobs.
Posts: 783
Threads: 65
Joined: Apr 2012
LR - did you notice the asterisk on the Leica?
* Not available in USA & Canada.
As an avid amatuer photographer - I love Nikon and Leica glass. But you do pay a price.
When politicians hear the term "Embargo", their panties get sweaty from the excitement, knowing they are about to cash in bigtime. For us peasants, well, we're left with nothing.
How would you rate the Vortex against the 2.5-10 Accupoint?
The Accupoints are clearly designed for hunting specifically, and the glass is great on them. The main differentiation with Trijicon is of course the fiber-optic powered reticle, which is a nice feature making quick shots in varying light conditions. Biggest potentially negative factors here are limited versatility for target work, and price point.
The Viper PST is specifically geared towards target work in its layout, but is suitable for hunting as well, especially as more and more military and civilian precision shooters are putting that skill set to task in taking game with tools more common to long-range precision rifles. The 2.5-10x44 PST seems to fit a role that can cover down on both, since it is a relatively lightweight optic, with a wide field of view, and forgiving eye relief/exit pupil space. It also has illumination for low light shots.
Biggest potential limiting factors with the Viper PST 2.5-10 might be knob geometry, but there is no side focus knob on the left side of the tube, so I never have issues with it catching on clothing or gear since I'm right handed. If you're shooting considerable distances from 200-400yds, I think using the turrets will be preferable to the reticle for trajectory. The PST has a hash reticle either in MOA or MILs, which I find more precise than Mil dots or guesstimates for windage holds.
I would say you already had me sold except I have one more question - which would be more flexible: 2.5-10 or 4-16 FFP? The cost difference between the two is minimal.
As fate would have it, just as I was getting ready to click "order" on Brownell's I found deal on an 2-12X32 IOR for less. Worst case scenario I will be dissatisfied with it and order the Vortex but it will at least happen before I go out into the hills for a Dall Sheep. Lord, grant me the strength not to order both for a comparison....
Armored Transport
Unregistered
Look at the Sightron SIII 3.5-10X44 LRIRMOA. I think you will put it in the loop as well..............