Just want to get some more opinions. I am new to a lot of things here. I have my first Grendel in a 24" SS bull barell, which is also my first stainless and first bull barrel. Currently it has 3 rounds fired and has been cleaned once. You can prob see where this is going... Opinions on "barrel break in"? It's been hand lapped which just by logic I would think should bypass and "break in" procedure or am I missing something? I tend to feel that as many people suggest to clean after every shot, then every three, five, etc, would do more harm than good. What actually breaks in by doing this. If its hand lapped and all burrs removed, then what is different in a new barrel that would require more frequent cleaning than normal? Like I stated earlier I am new to this so any suggestions or factual input would greatly be appreciated.
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
06-07-2012, 02:41 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 02:54 AM by Variable.)
Well, I'm positive that some folk will definitely disagree with me, but I don't believe in barrel break-in procedures either. I tried it on some barrels back in the 90's and I never saw any substantive difference from other tubes.
Any tube of mine--- Shot normally, and cleaned normally.
If I were a benchrester and chasing that last .10th, then maybe I'd try it again, but I'd wager the majority of us would never see the difference in well made barrel.
Others will say it'll make your barrel easier to clean. Perhaps, but all you did was pay more cleaning dues up front...
I guess you could say that I do break my barrels in, but just over a longer period of time, and with many more shots between cleanings.LOL
I no longer really break in barrels either. All I do is clean ever 25 rounds for the first 100 rounds.And I try not to heat the barrel up excessivly for the first 100 rounds. My rifles shoot as well as well as anyone elces, even if I dont.
I'm a firm believer in cleaning every shot for the first 10, then every 5 shots to 50. I can't prove that its necessary, but it definitely has not hurt any of my 1000 yard guns. If you are not looking for "one hole" accuracy, it probably doesnt matter. So my thinking is: if it can't hurt anything, and could possibly help, why not do it! Good luck
Problem is, aggressively cleaning a barrel CAN hurt it, and often does. People going to town on their barrel with solvents, patches, and brushes that scrape carbon along the chrystalline surface of the steel have worn out barrels faster than they would have if they had just shot over the copper deposit coating that fills in those crevices.
Barrels that need extra work to prevent fouling should have been squared away by the barrel maker by lapping, not left to the customer.
This is why I like Melonited barrels especially-they're too hard and smooth to foul.
Your opinion of Meloniting is better on a virgin barrel, or one "broken-in"? Thanks.
I am assuming that with a 24" bull barrel, the concern is accuracy over barrel life or round count. I can't disagree that OVER cleaning could reduce barrel life somewhat. But with the method I described above, and quality cleaning products, I have never had a problem.
Thanks everyone for your input
Todd Harnett has some very interesting things to say about this subject on the Magpul Art of the Precision Rifle Video series. He rarely cleans, and uses a carbon remover-NOT copper solvent. The copper is your friend, carbon your enemy.
Please forgive my ignorance, but if copper is your friend, why is it necessary to use a copper remover?
Buy a quality barrel and spend your time shooting it and not cleaning! Over 600 rounds and I've cleaned it twice. I saw no difference in accuracy being squeaky clean or 300 rounds dirty.
yep^^^^ no need with a rifle cut.. now with a button barrel ill brake in.ive also quit going through the 100 round brake in and started using the tubbs bullets
MrSurgicalPrecision
Unregistered
LRRPF52 Wrote:Todd Harnett has some very interesting things to say about this subject on the Magpul Art of the Precision Rifle Video series. He rarely cleans, and uses a carbon remover-NOT copper solvent. The copper is your friend, carbon your enemy. [video=youtube;YiDoddUL4rI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDoddUL4rI[/video]
Ill check that out. Jeff1383 what kind of barrel do u have
Shoot it like you stole it. It will break itself in as you fire it.
ccole3 Wrote:Just want to get some more opinions. I am new to a lot of things here. I have my first Grendel in a 24" SS bull barell, which is also my first stainless and first bull barrel. Currently it has 3 rounds fired and has been cleaned once. You can prob see where this is going... Opinions on "barrel break in"? It's been hand lapped which just by logic I would think should bypass and "break in" procedure or am I missing something? I tend to feel that as many people suggest to clean after every shot, then every three, five, etc, would do more harm than good. What actually breaks in by doing this. If its hand lapped and all burrs removed, then what is different in a new barrel that would require more frequent cleaning than normal? Like I stated earlier I am new to this so any suggestions or factual input would greatly be appreciated. when I built my first AR15 I took it to the range, shot the snot out of it and cleaned it when I was done. To this day, it will still put the entire contents of two, ten round magazines ( I live in California) into a group that can be covered with a quarter. I don't believe in barrel brake in.
Every rifle in my safe will deliver the same accuracy as the day I handed the money accross the counter and I have never done any barrel brake in on any of them
ccole3 Wrote:Ill check that out. Jeff1383 what kind of barrel do u have
I have a 20" satern barrel with the ever so hated .264 lbc chamber
LOL!!
Thanks guys for the info. I personally havnt noticed a difference with my other rifles either rdsii64. This was just my first precision rifle and wantedto hear some other oppinions. Jeff1383, i was looking at that same barrel before i found a complete upper lol
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
jeff1383;3
4420 Wrote:I have a 20" satern barrel with the ever so hated .264 lbc chamber
LOL!!
Nothing wrong with that chamber, so long as it is used the way it was designed!
The proof is in the shooting!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Please further enlighten me....
|