Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Which powder for 123-129gr bullets
#1
Ive got 9-10lbs of 8208 that I use for my 223/308 and thats what Ive used in the past on my grendels. I have a 16" ruger ranch coming and will be running 123gr most likely and thought about loading some 129SP for hunting....

Should I be ok with my 8208 or is there a better powder? My local shop has cfe223 and leverlution... would either of those be btter than the 8208?

thanks!
Reply
#2
i use 8208 or arcomp in my 123 loads
Reply
#3
You’ll get tighter SDs, minimal temp sensitivity, and accuracy with 8208XBR typically, but faster speeds with CFE223 and LEVERevolution.

You have to be careful with 8208XBR under 120gr class and up as it will hit max pressure around 27.8-28.5gr, depending on your chamber and other variables.

129gr doesn’t allow those charges, so you’ll need to back off of that and not exceed ~26.4gr, depending on which 129gr, COL, chamber, etc.

CFE223 and LEVERevolution are very forgiving since their burn rate is optimal for 120-130gr in Grendel, but you’ll see considerable temp sensitivity.

There is a lot of data for them all here on the forum, as well as in the Grendel Handbooks:

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbnbwebsites.s3.amazonaw...f=1&nofb=1]

I did some load development just doing pressure safety ladders with CFE223 and LEVERevolution in the Howa Mini Action bolt gun when I had it, which are posted here on the forum.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#4
I use TAC, and benchmark (when available) more than any others

CFE223 was fast and accurate with wild mood swings based on Temp
Reply
#5
I like TAC Use 8208 and AR Comp some. Not a fan of CFE223 personally.
Reply
#6
Guess Ill just run my 8208 and 123's then
Reply
#7
I’ve had good results with Nosler 129 gr ABLR and 26.5 grains of H4895.
Reply
#8
Any chrono data on 129 ablrs with h4895 or ar comp?
Reply
#9
I didn’t chrony the h4895 ABLRs, but I watched them drop 5 deer DRT from 225 to 275 yards last fall including two mature big bodied bucks. I wouldn’t be scared in its effectiveness for anything inside 400 yards.
Reply
#10
Eye_guy Wrote:I didn’t chrony the h4895 ABLRs, but I watched them drop 5 deer DRT from 225 to 275 yards last fall including two mature big bodied bucks. I wouldn’t be scared in its effectiveness for anything inside 400 yards.

AR or bolt gun ? What barrel length ?
Reply
#11
I’ve shot the H4895 with ABLRs out of two AR platform Grendel’s, both 20” barrels. One a Faxon and the other a ballistic advantage barrels. Both sub MOA.
Reply
#12
My best groups so far were with A2520 28.5 grains and benchmark 26.5 grains with the 123 and 120 grain bullets and 27.5 grains of A2520 with the 130 grain bullets...
Both AR and bolt action 18"and 22" barrels...
Reply
#13
I have had great groups , about 0.5 MOA, with 26.3gr Benchmark pusshing either 123gr SMK or 123gr Scenar.
Reply
#14
I use TAC with 129gr interlocks. great accuracy and devastating on the hogs last February!
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Reply
#15
Stugotz Wrote:I use TAC with 129gr interlocks. great accuracy and devastating on the hogs last February!

Would you mind giving more details about your load for this combination ?
I think I'm going to pick up some of the Interlock bullets for reloading with TAC.
Reply
#16
DIANEB Wrote:My best groups so far were with A2520 28.5 grains and benchmark 26.5 grains with the 123 and 120 grain bullets and 27.5 grains of A2520 with the 130 grain bullets...
Both AR and bolt action 18"and 22" barrels...

Would you expect good performance with these loads out of a 12" barrel also ?
I'm trying to start reloading and looking for a good starting place.
Reply
#17
Serenitynow Wrote:Would you mind giving more details about your load for this combination ?
I think I'm going to pick up some of the Interlock bullets for reloading with TAC.

I settled on a charge of 27.3grs even of TAC which gave me a a MV of 2,394fps. I shoot this out of a 22" Criterion barrel. (If you plan on using this load, work up to it cautiously).
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Reply
#18
Thanks Stugotz
Reply
#19
Serenitynow Wrote:Would you expect good performance with these loads out of a 12" barrel also ?
I'm trying to start reloading and looking for a good starting place.

Not sure...
Reply
#20
DIANEB Wrote:Not sure...

Ok. Thanks for all of your info tho.
I am going to get a pound of A2520 due to your recommendations for several different bullet weights. It sounds like a good overall performing powder for Grendel.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)