Posts: 466
Threads: 49
Joined: Nov 2020
I have seen a few sources talking about full length sizing die setup. Looks like some are set up with a hard press to where the shell holder makes contact with the sizing die for a cam over effect which they claim takes all the play from the press out of it for consistent sizing results no matter how much bumping back of the shoulder occurs. Some even say the amount of push back doesnt matter as long as they are all consistent. All of my dies- redding, hornady Forster, and rcbs in the different calibers I shoot I get .002-.003 shoulder bump pretty consistently but my shell holder does not contact the sizing die on any of them. I dont have any problems either on paper or cycling, be it in my bolt guns or gas guns. Where do yall stand on the subject ? Thanks
Posts: 1,009
Threads: 80
Joined: May 2020
05-30-2022, 03:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2022, 03:28 PM by Zeneffect.)
.003 bump
It takes less energy to push .003 bump to chamber size than a cammed over .010. Differences in annealing, case wall thickness, and a billion other things influencing energy delivered to move the projectile. The smaller the margin I set for those variations to just free roam and do unpredictable things the better results I will have down range. Consistency is a game of minimal variation, elements that can't be controlled directly have to be influenced indirectly. If I don't know that the brass is going to expand in exactly the same way every time then I need to minimize the expansion time available for growth to occur by resizing as minimally as I can get away with. I don't mind the little extra case capacity either.
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
Dt219 Wrote:I have seen a few sources talking about full length sizing die setup. Looks like some are set up with a hard press to where the shell holder makes contact with the sizing die for a cam over effect which they claim takes all the play from the press out of it for consistent sizing results no matter how much bumping back of the shoulder occurs. Some even say the amount of push back doesnt matter as long as they are all consistent. All of my dies- redding, hornady Forster, and rcbs in the different calibers I shoot I get .002-.003 shoulder bump pretty consistently but my shell holder does not contact the sizing die on any of them. I dont have any problems either on paper or cycling, be it in my bolt guns or gas guns. Where do yall stand on the subject ? Thanks
I run my Forsters the same way. Runout is consistent.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
Dt219 Wrote:I have seen a few sources talking about full length sizing die setup. Looks like some are set up with a hard press to where the shell holder makes contact with the sizing die for a cam over effect which they claim takes all the play from the press out of it for consistent sizing results no matter how much bumping back of the shoulder occurs. Some even say the amount of push back doesnt matter as long as they are all consistent. All of my dies- redding, hornady Forster, and rcbs in the different calibers I shoot I get .002-.003 shoulder bump pretty consistently but my shell holder does not contact the sizing die on any of them. I dont have any problems either on paper or cycling, be it in my bolt guns or gas guns. Where do yall stand on the subject ? Thanks
Got a bunch of 223/5.56, AR platforms and bolt guns. Say 6 bolt and at least a dozen ARs and/or uppers. 4,5,6 different sizing dies, multiple full length straight, full length bushing, LEWilson, Redding, Forster, Whidden, RCBS, Lee and then the Lee Neck Collet die
..then switched back and forth between presses. Redding T7, Co-Ax, Rockchucker, MEC Marksman
some with lock and load bushing, some without, non-stop endless screwing around them. Finally, just dedicated the T7 to loading 223/5.56 exclusively and put 1 seater, 1 mandrel, and 1 crimping die, the other 4 holes are various type of sizing dies. And all are set up for the Redding Competition Shell Holder set. That gives me .008-.010 of adjustment without having to screw with the dies. Just switch shell holders until you get the desired effect and off you go. Worked so well, got the 308 set as well for the half dozen 243s I have. Done. Huge! Some of the best money I ever spent.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
05-30-2022, 06:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 06:38 AM by Harpoon1.)
Dt219 Wrote:I have seen a few sources talking about full length sizing die setup. Looks like some are set up with a hard press to where the shell holder makes contact with the sizing die for a cam over effect which they claim takes all the play from the press out of it for consistent sizing results no matter how much bumping back of the shoulder occurs. Some even say the amount of push back doesnt matter as long as they are all consistent. All of my dies- redding, hornady Forster, and rcbs in the different calibers I shoot I get .002-.003 shoulder bump pretty consistently but my shell holder does not contact the sizing die on any of them. I dont have any problems either on paper or cycling, be it in my bolt guns or gas guns. Where do yall stand on the subject ? Thanks
With 10+ 223/556 bolt, AR and/or multiple uppers. Just as many different dies, and almost as many different presses etc
buying the Redding Competition shell holder set was life altering for me. I have 4 different 223 sizing dies in a T7, all set up for the Redding Comp set that gives from zero to .008-.010 of adjustment without ever having to touch the die. Just switch shell holders until you get the desired effect. Done! Its huge! Got the 308 set too. The Grendel is next. With 5 Grendel AR platforms, 3 Grendel bolt guns, its a no brainer! YMMV.
Some of the best money I ever spent in reloading!
https://www.redding-reloading.com/online...older-sets
To be fair, Im NOT a competition shooter, just an average Hunter where anything less than 1 MOA is more than acceptable!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Hornady comparator (Stoney Point formerly) is your friend here.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
The use of gauges and measuring tools are misunderstood or deemed irrelevant by too many reloaders, imho. Nothing beats knowing exactly the size or fit.
Posts: 384
Threads: 25
Joined: Jan 2017
Harpoon1 Wrote:With 10+ 223/556 bolt, AR and/or multiple uppers. Just as many different dies, and almost as many different presses etc
buying the Redding Competition shell holder set was life altering for me. I have 4 different 223 sizing dies in a T7, all set up for the Redding Comp set that gives from zero to .008-.010 of adjustment without ever having to touch the die. Just switch shell holders until you get the desired effect. Done! Its huge! Got the 308 set too. The Grendel is next. With 5 Grendel AR platforms, 3 Grendel bolt guns, its a no brainer! YMMV.
Some of the best money I ever spent in reloading!
https://www.redding-reloading.com/online...older-sets
To be fair, Im NOT a competition shooter, just an average Hunter where anything less than 1 MOA is more than acceptable!
Thanks for the heads up
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
|