Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Midway usa order surprise
#1
A week or so ago midway had lots of 6.5 second bullets on sale. A couple of years ago I picked up a box of 129 tipped boat tail bullets with a cannelure and I liked them. They were obviously hornady sst. This time I ordered 2 boxes of what I thought would be the same bullets, although you never know because no brand is listed in the description and the color of the tip is gray to disguise the brand. To my surprise, two boxes of green tipped bullets arrived yesterday. They are almost identical to hornady but I know hornady doesn’t make green tipped bullets, and the boat tail is a little different. I looked on the internet pretty hard and the only green tipped boat tail bullet with a cannelure I could find is the new Remington Core Lokt. They make a 129 grain version for the creedmore. I’m pretty excited to load these up and do some expansion tests and see how they do. I do not think they are available as components yet, only in factory ammo. I’m assuming these seconds were factory overruns for their own ammo. Does anyone know of any other green tipped 129 grain boat tail bullets with a cannelure?
Reply
#2
i thought green tip meant sierra
Reply
#3
Nosler uses green tips in their 30 caliber Ballistic Tips but I know Sierra is a supplier of several ammunition Company bullets. When I toured the Sierra factory they had pictures of their bullets in several different Companies ammunition. Just because Sierra doesn’t list a bullet in their catalog doesn’t mean they don’t supply bullets made to their customers specification. I didn’t know Sierra provided rifle bullet jackets to Lake City Arsenal until I took the tour.

Remington had two different 6.5 Grendel cartridges prior to them being sold. It sounds like Vista is going to continue to let Remington maintain their own product line. I hope Remington gets their QC back as I thought they have some good product lines.
Reply
#4
I ordered two boxes also. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll report back with what I discover.
Reply
#5
FWIW, I received the 120g Tipped Boat Tail Factory Seconds from Midway today. The tip color is reddish, dark like maroon, almost brown. Maybe Hornady SST like? Also picked up some 123g FMJ during the free shipping. Previously had bought the 129g and liked them. Glad I did, showing unavailable now but may pop ug again.
Reply
#6
Dark maroon with an opaque look to it is the color on Hornady ELD-M tips.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#7
Thanks for the info! That's how I would describe the color, and opaque hits the mark.
Reply
#8
What COL can you load them to without jamming the lands?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#9
My grendel is an AR, so have stayed around 2.260 for the magazine feeding.
Reply
#10
Looked at the Midayway 129 gr. seconds I got. They sure look like Hornady 129 SST’s to me. Going to load them up for a 6.5 Grendel. I think I can go out to 2.3 oal.
Reply
#11
So yours are red tipped? Mine are dark green.
Reply
#12
Rocco_1995 Wrote:So yours are red tipped? Mine are dark green.

They are dark green tipped, but have the cannalure and shape like the 129 SST. I presume the green tip comes because they were setting up the run and used nonstandard tips to designate they are seconds.
Reply
#13
Maybe so. The boattail and cannelure looks a little off from the sst. Go look at this https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/remingt...eview/?amp

If they shoot good and expand well I suppose it doesn’t really matter.
Reply
#14
That's interesting. Maybe they're doing a private label for Remington. I wonder if the Remington Corelok is really a Hornady SST?
Reply
#15
I’ve got some of the Remington Accutips circa 2012. They are Hornady SST’s with a yellow/green plastic tip.
Most all of the “Blems” I’ve gotten from Midway hame been Hornady.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)