Posts: 82
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2019
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
I have QL and his pressures are not the same as mine.
After entering all the details from that notebook page I am surprised the gun is still in one piece. His heaviest load at 35gns is 113% compressed and 74K lbs of predicted peak pressure. I wouldn't have thought you could fit that much powder in a case.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
01-20-2022, 04:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM by Harpoon1.)
It seems to me hes confusing CUP and PSI! Not sure exactly what correlation between the two is with the Grendel but, he makes the claim in the video the Grendel has a limit of 60,000 CUP! I always thought the limit was 52K PSI.
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
01-20-2022, 04:32 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 01:25 AM by lazyengineer.)
This whole video is just a collection of ... wow. Please don't leave the rifle loaded and pointed at your own person, while going down range to adjust something.
On a technical side:
"According to SAAMI I should be able to get up to 60000 CUP".
Not sure if that was misstated, but I believe SAAMI for 6.5 Grendel is 52000 psi. To convert 60,000 CUP: https://calculator.academy/cup-to-psi-ca...#f1p1|f2p0
That's apparently about 73,000 psi. That's like... proof load level for a 5.56. I can't see how that won't break a Grendel bolt, if not outright Kaboom,
Also a development approach of "until case failure", is playing with fire, and not in a good way. I would advise least wearing gloves and maybe even a face-shield.
One other item, author is doing this development testing in an isolated location, solo. When I'm testing new, unknown, or potentially well beyond "recommended guidelines", I tend to prefer doing so at a venue where there's at least someone within 100 yards or so, just in case things go awry. If he Kaboom's and suffers serious hand and facial damage/eye damage - he's on his own at that location, it would appear. He's very lucky that didn't happen, as it probably should have. Then there is the prospect of a chest-shot discharge from the gun he kept loaded and pointed at himself several times, while he's downrange playing with his chrony. While guns don't go off by themselves - mostly , but then again, things happen. They just do. One of them is tripping and falling on your own gun when walking back to it, for example. It happens.
Shooting solo in your own location is awesome, as no annoying rules, but man - sometimes the rules about no-running-with-scissors are kind of there for a reason. I will say, the .50 cal Kaboom video from last year was a real eye-opener, and that guy would have been dead for sure from basically a chest-shot, had his camera-buddy not been a First Responder, and also with a phone.
I suspect 3 things saved our video-authors ass:
1) CFE 223 seems to behave and play well at high P (which is to say, it's not spikey, 8208 could have been a more interesting day)
2) I suspect (just a hunch), that Grendel gear (bolts in particular) have gotten stronger. Not sure if metallurgy, relief practices, dimensional tweaks, but it seems like broken Grendel bolts used to be very common, and today, it seems they are very rare. I'm pretty sure I have some loads that are above the SAAMI rated operating P, and they run no-problem. Looking at other peoples posted loads, I'm pretty sure a lot of folks are running way above 52k PSI as well, yet bolt breakages just don't seem to come up a lot. A much older earlier generation rifle and bolt, maybe this wouldn't have gone so well for him.
3) Luck - many times the fates smile upon a man who says "hold my beer and watch this", far more than you might think!
In all seriousness, this author tries to present a scientific and concise development video, with more than a little effort on various aspects of all of that. I don't understand how he could then also make such gross errors in safety and in the reloading aspects. He really needs someone to show him how to do this correctly, because he's very lucky to still have a working gun, 2 working eyes, and 10 digits. That gun should have Kaboomed.
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
01-20-2022, 06:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 06:57 PM by Happy2Shoot.)
WOW!
Hornady MAX CHARGE is 31.5 with a regular bullet.
Speer data for their Gold Dot line is always lower than a regular cup and core jacketed bullet.
He went to 34.5 GRAINS!
HE FUCKING CRACKED HIS CASE HEAD ON A LOW PRESSURE CARTRIDGE! (Video time 3:58)
He is lucky to have his face.
Just a guess max charge for a Gold Dot would be 30.5 to 31.0 grains
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
Who ever has an account should kindly and calmly tell him he is way off, and only use published data from bullet and powder manufacturers.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
He went at least 3 full grains over max under a 120gr Gold Dot. Not .3 grains, but 3 full grains.
Someone needs to contact him and get him some mentorship, because this is bad.
Ive never seen primer indentations shaped like a pyramid or concentric case head cracks around the primer like that.
This is madness.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Were going to see more and more of this in the perfect storm of:
* Adult-aged children raised by partial parent adult-aged children households
* The last 2 generations of kids with no trust in the previous generations
* Access to internet and sense of special snowflake status/delusions of grandeur as a societal norm, not the mental case study exceptions
* Zero to minimal math skills
* Zero analytical or problem-solving skills taught in pretty much every school, from elementary to high school and universities
* Societal fear spread by presstitutes and the companies that own them
* Runs on ammo, creating shortages
* Motive to get into reloading/hand-loading
I was at Cabellas the other day and the reloading component shelves are a scarce fraction of their former status.
There are a lot of new hand-loaders out there who need guidance, and they need it badly.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
01-20-2022, 08:43 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 09:18 PM by lazyengineer.)
LRRPF52 Wrote:Were going to see more and more of this in the perfect storm of:
* Adult-aged children raised by partial parent adult-aged children households
* The last 2 generations of kids with no trust in the previous generations
* Access to internet and sense of special snowflake status/delusions of grandeur as a societal norm, not the mental case study exceptions
* Zero to minimal math skills
* Zero analytical or problem-solving skills taught in pretty much every school, from elementary to high school and universities
* Societal fear spread by presstitutes and the companies that own them
* Runs on ammo, creating shortages
* Motive to get into reloading/hand-loading
I was at Cabellas the other day and the reloading component shelves are a scarce fraction of their former status.
There are a lot of new hand-loaders out there who need guidance, and they need it badly.
My favorite part - going so hot and cratering the case so bad, it literally ripped through the head, apparently. With every other sign imaginable of grossly excessive pressure. So, well, let's go another half-grain higher and see what happens? I'm not a timid reloader. About as far from that as you can get, and this video was just ... something else.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
01-20-2022, 08:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 09:01 PM by Harpoon1.)
Im pretty sure DNS knows him, and/or has maybe hunted with him. FWIW, I left a comment on Rumble telling him hes way off! Hes been around awhile with plenty of reloading and hog hunting videos on YouTube. Usually shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 variant. Believe he lives and hunts mostly in Texas. Its stunning someone can see those pressure signs and still keep going! And with an AR! Wow!
Some of his YT stuff!
https://youtube.com/c/OutdoorEDventures
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
When confidence belies experience. Keep going, punch through, it will fix itself eventually.
...it sure will.
Posts: 2,062
Threads: 88
Joined: May 2016
I remember that guy stopping by here a few years ago and posting a video that was a bit of a riddle IN RE some sort of ballistic phenomena with his Grendel.. He never came back to answer it.
Let's go Brandon!
Posts: 435
Threads: 16
Joined: Feb 2019
Quote: He never came back to answer it.
If he does another video like that, he never will come back from anywhere. Anymore!
Posts: 98
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2017
Let him prove Darwin was right. You can't fix stupid but you can keep it from further tainting the gene pool.
Posts: 47
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2019
WOW...JUST WOW.
That right there is why I come here to research what safely works from folks that have been doing this
alot longer than I have.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
01-21-2022, 06:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 06:15 PM by Harpoon1.)
This is a worthwhile read for any one new to reloading!
http://www.primalrights.com/library/arti...g-pressure
And from the same folks, a demonstration on testing pressure limits to failure, SAFELY!
https://youtu.be/bo0KVIF9tzY
Posts: 47
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2021
Harpoon1 Wrote:This is a worthwhile read for any one new to reloading!
http://www.primalrights.com/library/arti...g-pressure
And from the same folks, a demonstration on testing pressure limits to failure, SAFELY!
https://youtu.be/bo0KVIF9tzY
Thanks for sharing! Very good read for sure and nice pics as well.
Posts: 1,009
Threads: 80
Joined: May 2020
01-22-2022, 05:50 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 05:57 AM by Zeneffect.)
I have read this entire thread without watching the actual video. I must say I'm excited for some real entertainment to come, I've put on a bicycle helmet so as to not put my palm through my head.
Edit. Watched. Helmet didn't help, I have a concussion. Rufio needs to stick to swashbuckling with butter knives.
Posts: 643
Threads: 79
Joined: Dec 2012
LRRPF52 Wrote:Were going to see more and more of this in the perfect storm of:
* Adult-aged children raised by partial parent adult-aged children households
* The last 2 generations of kids with no trust in the previous generations
* Access to internet and sense of special snowflake status/delusions of grandeur as a societal norm, not the mental case study exceptions
* Zero to minimal math skills
* Zero analytical or problem-solving skills taught in pretty much every school, from elementary to high school and universities
* Societal fear spread by presstitutes and the companies that own them
* Runs on ammo, creating shortages
* Motive to get into reloading/hand-loading
I was at Cabellas the other day and the reloading component shelves are a scarce fraction of their former status.
There are a lot of new hand-loaders out there who need guidance, and they need it badly.
boy that really sums it up for sure!
|