Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Lapua brass flash hole
#1
I got lucky enough to snag 100 before the Big Crunch and price increase. Has anyone opened up the flash hole to standard size ? Any cons ? Thanks and Merry Christmas
Reply
#2
DT:

The European size flash hole is a touch smaller than US.

Redding makes a decapping pin that works.

If you are using a Lee sizing die, its pin must be the biggest of any small pins and it will get stuck in Lapua brass.

Years ago guys were using Lee dies and they opened up the flash hole using a drill. I cant remember the size but everyone said it worked and never had a problem with the brass after opening up the flash hole a little.

LR-55
Reply
#3
The hornady new dimension full size resizing die has the smaller pin installed. I removed it and put it in the hornady universal decapper. The one that comes with the universal decapper is too large. By moving the pins, no resizing of the hole was needed.
Reply
#4
Dt,

You won't notice any improvement in performance.

It will be less effort to get the right pin than drilling out 100 cases.
Reply
#5
I just spun A decap pin in the floor drill,used 600 wet/dry and sanded it down. this one is in my Lee deprime die I use for everything,works well!
Reply
#6
I've used this flash hole uniforming tool for over 20 years. With the collar set at the right depth, it removes any burrs in the hole plus it can enlarge the hole at the same time. It's not that much more work whether a flash hole is .060" or .080".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18523[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]18524[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Reply
#7
Old Bob,
What is the number of the that center drill?
Reply
#8
Velocity Wrote:Old Bob,
What is the number of the that center drill?

I think this is an old RCBS tool. I measured it & the tip is .080" & the shaft is .186". It's different than the one they have now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18526[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Reply
#9
I have that tool !!!!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)