Posts: 4
Threads: 2
Joined: Apr 2020
I'm building a 6.5 upper for hunting, looking for something 16" and fluted that will shoot 1 MOA for around $300. I have a proof research barrel on my 5.56 upper and I love it but I'm really trying to stick to some sort of budget on this upper. I've seen mixed things about Alexander Arms and Ballistic Advantage. Precision Firearms has some nice barrels but they're all a bit spendy, especially once you add fluting, and they have a long lead time. The Monster barrels promoted here on the forum are really affordable but I can't find many hands on reviews of them. So what's the best tube for the $ if weight is a consideration?
Alexander?
BA?
PF lower end build (Samurai)?
Faxon?
Odin?
Criterion?
Wilson Combat?
Monster barrels promoted on the forum?
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
fluting adds to the barrel price, usually 100 or more most places
criterion stocks an 18" for 320 on thier website
Posts: 4
Threads: 2
Joined: Apr 2020
That's why I would prefer a barrel that comes fluted from the factory rather than a custom barrel. If not fluted, then at least light weight like the Faxon.
Posts: 781
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2018
It is not fluted but I used a 18" Oden which ran a little over $400 two years ago but I got a complete bolt carrier group, tunable gas block and gas tube for the intermediate length gas in the package. It is very accurate and balances great and is MUCH lighter than the 20" BCA fluted barrel upper I have on another rife with the identical lower.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
A barrel from Mark at PF. Tell him you want a light weight barrel profile and not fluted. He will make whatever you want.
I had one of the 20 inch moster barrels, it was a good shooter, basicly a hunting barrel and good enough to ring steel out too 400 yards.
I have a 12 inch moster barrel now and it shoots great and can hit steel out as far as 600 yards just like my 12.5 from Mark at PF.
A fluted barrel will be stiffer then a thinner profiled barrel but it will never be as light weight as a thinner profiled barrel.
If light weight is what you want shorter and thinner profiled is the best route. But it also has groups that open faster when the barrel gets hot.
Hope this helps.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
i have 0 compliants about the wilson barrel i went with
they are out of stock on the 16 but have 18's in stock
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/6-5-Grendel/products/1044/
and i have the 20 recon
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade...RCRG20FT8/
now taht the 22's are in stock i may have to pick one of those up as well
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade...SSRG22FT8/
Posts: 4
Threads: 2
Joined: Apr 2020
That was my first choice after doing more research. I have a Wilson 1911 and the quality is top notch.
Posts: 92
Threads: 18
Joined: Aug 2017
As long as you arent trying to shoot super long or do mag dumps, check out Faxons 16 gunner profile barrel. its one step thicker than pencil, so its pretty darn light, and it can be had for $200. i have the 556 version, and I love it.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
04-22-2020, 01:42 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 01:49 AM by VASCAR2.)
LaRue Tactical ultimate in 6.5 Grendel get very good reviews and might be worth considering. Wilson Combat, Criterion, LaRue and Lilja all get good reviews.
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ult...upper-kit/
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
I have a BA 20" DMR profile that will consistently shoot 5 shot groups at MOA and often under. I also have a Satern/Liberty 18" that I bought on their special deals tab that shoots about that well. It was a great value for $125.00. I know you asked about 16" barrels but the only two barrels of that length I have messed with were BCA M4 profile barrels. Neither would hold less than a 4" group. They were bought on sale and weren't worth the postage to send back.
Posts: 42
Threads: 6
Joined: Feb 2016
I just built a rifle with an 18 Wilson barrel. Supposed to take it to the range on Saturday for him to try it out. Weve got 4 different types of factory ammo to try. Ill let you know what type of results we get.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
For $350 delivered, you can get a custom criterion. Id recommend Craddock Precision. Precision Firearms does a good job too but Mark wont get that barrel to you till the end of the year. My custom criterion is going on 25 weeks now!
Craddock will get it to you within two months and hell communicate with you every step of the way.
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
FLshooter Wrote:For $350 delivered, you can get a custom criterion. Id recommend Craddock Precision. Precision Firearms does a good job too but Mark wont get that barrel to you till the end of the year. My custom criterion is going on 25 weeks now!
Craddock will get it to you within two months and hell communicate with you every step of the way.
Will Craddock turn a blank you give him for a Grendel barrel? Always wanted a Grendel with a Broughton barrel!
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
05-04-2020, 10:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 10:14 PM by Lastrites.)
Rebby's Lija group buy deal going on if you can into it and can add $100 to your budget would be an excellent option as well. My 14.5" shoots way better than I deserve, zero regrets and I understand having a budget restrictions!
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 6.5 Grendel, Recon Tactical, 20", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted back in stock. $304.95
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/65-Grendel/products/1044/
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
am4966 Wrote:Will Craddock turn a blank you give him for a Grendel barrel? Always wanted a Grendel with a Broughton barrel! Yes he will.I originally wanted a Krieger Barrel and Paul does not carry them. He told me if I sent him the blank he would finish it to my specs. But I decided to go to Bartlein. Glad I did because it turned out to be a great shooter.
Posts: 184
Threads: 5
Joined: Dec 2018
In about the $200-$330 price range
Faxon Match Series (No 16" Fluted, but very light 18" and 20" Fluted options.)
I'm been happy with my 1/3 MOA Faxon Match Series- 20" Heavy Fluted, 6.5 Grendel, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension Only 1.98 lbs
They have other Match Series
Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, 6.5 Grendel , 416-R, 5R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension Only 1.81 lbs
Match Series- 18" Gunner, 6.5 Grendel, 416-R, 5R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension Only 1.68 lbs
Match Series- 16" Gunner, 6.5 Grendel, 416R, 5R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension Only 1.53 lbs
|