Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Guys,
I check my case length every time resize the cases and trim accordingly.
What happens if you shoot a cartridge that has a case that is too long?
Chuck
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
If too long it might not chamber, Worse than that is the rim area of the case neck cannot expand as it is in the throat and can greatly increase pressure which is never a good thing
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
kmon Wrote:If too long it might not chamber, Worse than that is the rim area of the case neck cannot expand as it is in the throat and can greatly increase pressure which is never a good thing
This.
I will say, with sharp shoulder rounds like Grendel and Creedmoor; it's less of an issue. Of all the many cases I've run through my trimmer in these two 6.5 flavors; almost none actually trim anything; and almost always are below the "trim to" length.
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
When I get new brass I will trim to get it all uniform, generally to the shortest case. With the Grendel 5 reloads later they are all still in spec below max case length
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
If the case is too long there may not be enough room to release the bullet and it will increase pressures in the chamber . Also if your cases aren’t uniform you can end up crushing shoulders when you seat the bullet.
I like my case his uniform ,so I trim my cases every time I reload. I have a Wilson case trimmer and I can get them within 2000ths of an inch and with a 250 rpm power screwdiver,I can do it pretty quickly.100 cases in 15 min.
Posts: 781
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2018
Also with a difference in length comes difference in neck tension which in turn affects accuracy. The powder companies don't give you a max case length for nothing so keep cases under this max length. Becoming complacent, getting lazy or cutting corners in hand loading can and will get you hurt or mess up a good weapon.
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
01-12-2020, 01:45 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 01:49 AM by Mad Charlie.)
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e...32925.aspx
Just scroll down to 6.5, and snag one up. Once you know your chamber length, you will know when you HAVE to trim. I like to keep mine all the same length too, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...
They say "Not for semi-auto" but I just "soft chamber" without problems.
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2018
kmon Wrote:When I get new brass I will trim to get it all uniform, generally to the shortest case. With the Grendel 5 reloads later they are all still in spec below max case length
I think it depends more on the gun/chamber, as mine is ready on the 3rd loading.