Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2019
Thought I'd pick the brain trust on this one. Got an AR set up with a Ballistic Advantage barrel with midlength gas and standard carbine buffer. When I ran a box of Hornady Black through it, the brass was striking off the deflector and generally getting dinged up. Not to the point where it can't be reloaded, but to the point where if it's possible to avoid it, I'd put in the effort.
I'm thinking heavier buffer?
The other somewhat interesting data point is that the same setup short-stroked on Wolf 100 grain. While I'd prefer to be able to run Wolf for cost reasons, not shooting subpar ammo is an acceptable sacrifice.
Posts: 172
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2018
I haven't done it yet. But, I need to. If you clip off a couple of rings off the ejector spring it usually fixed it. I'll see if I can dig up a thread
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...spring+mod
Posts: 137
Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2018
+1 for clipping off a coil or two on the ejector spring. If you don't have the tools to disassemble your bolt, you can put a small patch of soft velcro on the deflector but that is more of a stop-gap.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Labrat198 Wrote:+1 for clipping off a coil or two on the ejector spring. If you don't have the tools to disassemble your bolt, you can put a small patch of soft velcro on the deflector but that is more of a stop-gap.
You don't need any special tools to disassemble a bolt. Cut an old case in half and use that to compress the ejector while sandwiching both parts in a vise. Tap the ejector pin out with whatever you have got that's thin enough. Then carefully and slowly unscrew the vise to take the pressure off the ejector. Cut the ejector spring and reverse.
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
I have removed and intalled ejectors with a fired case hooked under the extractor used as a lever to depress the ejector. This can all be held in one hand with a small punch and a striking implement hitting the punch with the other hand. It's really rather easy.
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
Joined: Apr 2019
Mine does this same thing. It has Wilson combat barrel. It dents the mouth of the case and throws the case at about 5:30. From what I understand, mine is under gassed.
Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2019
Wargrendeleagle Wrote:I haven't done it yet. But, I need to. If you clip off a couple of rings off the ejector spring it usually fixed it. I'll see if I can dig up a thread
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...spring+mod
Thanks. Glad to know this is a relatively well-known issue, with a well-known fix. One question though - if the chart that Popeye212 posted in the linked thread is to be believed, and given that both ammo types have shown symptoms of short-stroking (Wolf failing to lock back, Hornady sending ejected rounds backward) would switching to a lighter BCG be a more effective way to address both issues?
Regardless, a new spring is going in my Brownells cart to try the ejector spring mod...
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
There are threereasons the wolf is undergassed.
1. Its wolf. Odds are its not a warm load.
2. Wolf uses a .262 undersized projectile. Less resistance from the bullet being forced down the bore yields less gas pressure
3. If I recall the ballistic adv barrels are known to have an undersized gas port.
The ejector spring has nothing to do with the gas system
Posts: 560
Threads: 18
Joined: Jan 2018
+1 What, rabiddog dog said