Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Mouflon Ram Hunt
#1
Last weekend I was fortunate to take this wild, free range Mouflon Ram. The range was 325 yards. Rifle is my latest build, an Aero Precision M4E1 with Faxon 18" barrel. The bullet was Alexander Arms, Barnes TSX 120 grain. We rode in on ATVs and started glassing around 6am, a spotted a group. This was the only Ram in the group of 15 sheep. This Ram spotted us and broke from the group and tried to top the mountain. I fired hitting him in the shoulder. He dropped instanstly, DRT

[Image: 40680934503_a633892c89_z.jpg]

[Image: 47647449611_7498bec26c_k.jpg]

[Image: 47594572092_5f9dc86b8c_k.jpg]

[Image: 32704960267_c0447285f1_k.jpg]
Reply
#2
Nice Ram, nice rifle, great shot.
Reply
#3
Niiiiice!
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#4
Mad Charlie Wrote:Nice Ram, nice rifle, great shot.

Thank you. I was proud to get him.
Reply
#5
rabiddawg Wrote:Niiiiice!

Thank you. This is my rifle on the Tripod setup.

[Image: 46731752445_c7ac9a5ca7_h.jpg]
Reply
#6
Excellent!!
Yard work is not an excuse!
Reply
#7
Very well done! Awesome!
Reply
#8
just_john Wrote:Very well done! Awesome!

Thank you.
Reply
#9
Great hunt! What kind of stock is that there?
Reply
#10
Redomen Wrote:Great hunt! What kind of stock is that there?

Thank you. It's a Thordsen FRS Gen 3 featureless stock.
Reply
#11
Very nice ram. Did you recover the Barnes TSX 120 grain? Obviously it worked, but how was the expansion?
Reply
#12
Michael-95037 Wrote:Very nice ram. Did you recover the Barnes TSX 120 grain? Obviously it worked, but how was the expansion?
I apologize, I did not look for the bullet. Next time I will try and recover it and get a picture.
Reply
#13
If you get a next time on a ram like that, you're much luckier than me. Hope to see the bullet from the next ram. Good Luck.
Reply
#14
Where was the hunt. Big island
Reply
#15
Squid, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but do you mind sharing your load info? I'm measuring the 120 grain GMX at 1.410", which (at 2.26" COAL) isn't going to leave much room for powder. If I can't find something reasonable to start with, I may return these bullets and move to the 100 grain TTSX. BTW, I was planning to work up my load with H335. Any comments on H335 would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
Reply
#16
Very nice ram, good shooting! Was it a fairly high angle shot?
Reply
#17
Michael-95037 Wrote:Squid, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but do you mind sharing your load info? I'm measuring the 120 grain GMX at 1.410", which (at 2.26" COAL) isn't going to leave much room for powder. If I can't find something reasonable to start with, I may return these bullets and move to the 100 grain TTSX. BTW, I was planning to work up my load with H335. Any comments on H335 would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Not a problem. This hunt was with Alexander Arms Factory ammunition so I'm not sure what the load data is. This bullet was an AA 120 grain TSX, that I shot a .5" group at 200 yards with.
https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Ammuni...T_box.html

However, I'm currently working hand loads for the Barnes 100 grain TTSX. I'm using A-2460, starting my charge at 27.5 and going up to 30.0. I'm not attemptign the 30.3 (compression load). I will post results after the test next Wednesday.

[Image: 32909304887_c688e83816_b.jpg]
Reply
#18
pacificpt Wrote:Very nice ram, good shooting! Was it a fairly high angle shot?

Thank you. The shot was at a decent angle as the Ram was at full sprint in an attemp to cross the summit. If I had to guess, 45+ degree angle.
Reply
#19
tracker12 Wrote:Where was the hunt. Big island
Yes. Big Island, Hawaii.
Reply
#20
Welcome to the big island, let me know if you ever come back. I have seen many very large herds 40+ near the road but never tried to hunt.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)