04-20-2019, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 04:38 AM by Squid.)
A few months back I decided to build an AR specifically for hunting at longer ranges in and outside of California. Many of you may have tracked the 6.5 Grendel I built from a Troy Pump Action Rifle. For this build, I wanted a semi-auto. I decided to go with a Faxon 18" barrel and Aero Precison M4E1 upper. The Optic is a Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 on a Warne Ramp 30 mount. The lower has a Thordsen Stock with CMMC trigger.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14112[/ATTACH]
Originally, I wanted to zero and hunt with Hornady 123 grain SSTs. At 100 yards they made a nice group but at 200 yards they opened to a 3" group. I decided to try the Alexander Arms 120 grain Barnes TSX and I'm glad I did. My rifle shot a .5" group at 200 yards.
04-20-2019, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 03:56 AM by MarkS.)
Oh man that is a nice rifle.
I've had the 18" Faxon barrel and the M4E1 Lower & Enhanced upper in my cart at Primary Arms for over month. Every time I get ready to buy it, one of the parts goes out of stock, so I just wait. Seeing this makes me regret my procrastination.
However, I did stop by Primary Arms this morning though and picked up a new AP Quantum handguard for my 12" Grendel. I really like how my supressor is recessed into the handguard. Gives it a nice clean look.
I also stopped at Bass Pro and picked up some Barnes 120gr TTSX's to try out. After seeing what you did, I'm really looking forward to getting them loaded up and flinging them downrange to see what they'll do.
I've had the 18" Faxon barrel and the M4E1 Lower & Enhanced upper in my cart at Primary Arms for over month. Every time I get ready to buy it, one of the parts goes out of stock, so I just wait. Seeing this makes me regret my procrastination.
However, I did stop by Primary Arms this morning though and picked up a new AP Quantum handguard for my 12" Grendel. I really like how my supressor is recessed into the handguard. Gives it a nice clean look.
I also stopped at Bass Pro and picked up some Barnes 120gr TTSX's to try out. After seeing what you did, I'm really looking forward to getting them loaded up and flinging them downrange to see what they'll do.
Thank you. I'm a big fan of the Barnes 120 TSX, I've taken Deer, Hogs, Sheep and Goats with them. I've never had anything walk away. Last September I took a Ram at 250 yards with that round from my Grendel PAR.
Nicely done, awesome rifle and super pictures.
Quote...
" I'm a big fan of the Barnes 120 TSX, I've taken Deer, Hogs, Sheep and Goats with them. I've never had anything walk away."
Will be looking into those pills as well. Thanks for your thread.
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:Nice build and good shootin'. I like how that "California" stock — unlike most — actually isn't bad looking.
Thank you. The Thordsen FRS Gen 3 is by far my favorite featureless option. I also build a Troy Pump Action Grendel is it's allowed to have the "evil features."
very nice! i'm also well entrenched in the barnes camp for hunting. 120 tipped out of my 7-08 is my go-to on this continent, though i've never hunted grizzly.
armedferret Wrote:very nice! i'm also well entrenched in the barnes camp for hunting. 120 tipped out of my 7-08 is my go-to on this continent, though i've never hunted grizzly.
I'm about to try a specific load and hope it works as good as what I've read. Barnes 100 grain TTSX with A-2460 Powder. Velocity will be right around 3000 fps.