Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
129 ABLR and Varget or AA 2520
#1
Folks seem to like CFE 223 Lvr and some other powders anyone having any success with AA2520 or Varget. I plan to shoot out of both a 16 and 20 inch barrel.
I have the vol 1 and II Grendel books but alas they were published before the 129 ABLR was released much like many new bullets are not in the Vol X Hornady book. Will be using Hornady brass and CCI 450 primers
Queen of Battle
Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
Reply
#2
I personally have not have had good results with CFE223 others mileage may vary. I am interested in others results with the Varget and Tac just got some of each.
Reply
#3
My volume II shows a load for the 129 ablr.

Let me go pull it out and I will come back and post the load it shows.

I will be working loads myself with this bullet in a 16 and 20 as well.

And was planning on trying cfe223 and leverevolution and aa2520 as well.
Reply
#4
Load worked up by JASmith

Cfe223
CCI 450 primer
Coal 2.260
Barrel length 18 inch
Reduced load 29.0-2300
Max load 30.4-2410
Bullet 129 grain ablr
Reply
#5
It's on the first page of loads in the volume II handbook
Reply
#6
A5BLASTER Wrote:It's on the first page of loads in the volume II handbook

Silly me looked for it with the other 129 130 grain loads
Queen of Battle
Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
Reply
#7
I asked Western Powders about 2520 Load Data here is the response
We have not tested the 129gr Nosler ABLR at this time. Here is load data that you can use.
A start charge of 26.2gr to a max charge of 29.1gr of A2520.

Me again in this case the max charge is .5 grains lower than max for the 123 Sierra of 29.6 grains and a 2491 velocity
Guessing I will get a decent load in the 2450 to 2475 range from a 20 inch barrel and close to 2400 from my 16 incher.
Having a safe place to start let the fun begin. I will now test 223 CFE LVR and 2520 hope to get a range report by next week.
Queen of Battle
Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
Reply
#8
Was wondering diddlyv if you have had any time to do the load work up for 129 ABLR?

I am about to start a load work up using 129 gr and AA2520 and my 12.7" faxon barrel.
Reply
#9
Research, and start really low on the powder and work up.

Chronograph is a must.

Headspace comparator tool is a must. You have to know where the lands are in your barrel, and the ogive on the load you are trying.

Again. Start really low on the powder.

Any info you glean from this site, or the web in general, uses it as reference only, not fact.

My AA2520 loads are for a Howa bolt action (2.32 COAL vs 2.29 in an AR with the right mags). IIRC the Howa lands are a bit farther out.

They will not work in an AR due to the COAL. The longer seating depth gives me lots of room for powder, and a bolt action chamber handles pressure differently/more than the AR.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#10
I had excellent accuracy with 2520, but in order to find that sweet spot I was over 200fps off the high end for either CFE223 or LVR
Reply
#11
Here is Nosler's info, you'll need to click the 129 tab.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-grendel/
Reply
#12
grendelnubi Wrote:Was wondering diddlyv if you have had any time to do the load work up for 129 ABLR?

I am about to start a load work up using 129 gr and AA2520 and my 12.7" faxon barrel.

Diddly here sadly no, and too busy for the next 3 weeks maybe by the week after turkey day will have some time.
Queen of Battle
Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
Reply
#13
Thanks Diddly.... I'll let you know how my load works out once I have a chance to work on it.

I'm going to work up a ladder for 8208, CFE223, AA2520. I would like to also do AR Comp but haven't seen any load data using ABLR 130gr and AR Comp.
Reply
#14
I've gone up to 27.0 grains of AR-Comp with 129-grain Accubonds without issue. Accuracy potential seemed to be there. Should you try it, you're on your own---just as I am.
Reply
#15
This is my load:

Rifle:
12.7" Group buy barrel
7 shot group

Load:
3x fired Hornady brass
129gr Nosler ABLR bullet
27.2gr of Varget powder
OAL: 1.675
Avg. speed: 2105 fps
SD: 6.5 fps
ES: 16
Distance: 100 yards
Group size: 1.125 MOA, horizontal string
Reply
#16
My Load with the 12.7 GB barrel:

129gr ABLR
26.9gr of AR Comp
Ogive to base: 1.643
COAL: 2.266
Avg FPS: 2109
A little over 1.5 MOA, I believe I can pull this in a bit.
Distance:100 yards


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#17
Found a sweet spot at 30.6 grains CFE223, 2.230 coal. 2550 fps out of a 24" Radical Firearms upper, JP bolt, ALG trigger(modified) ALG handgaurd. RP 7.5 primer in once fired Hornady brass, trimmed and chamfered. Slightly less than 1.2" center to center. Now to try different seating depths, and a base to ogive tool soon to be inbound. Started at 30 grains even, every .2 grain increase resulted in a 20 fps gain in velocity. 30.8 grains, no increase over 30.6. Every group shot with this barrel always has 2 touching, with 3 outliers. 30.6 had 2 groups of 2 touching, with 1 outlier making it 1.2 inches. Extreme spread 34 fps.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)