02-26-2018, 03:56 AM
I simply want the BEST overall for an AR15. To be used for prone and bench shooting. Suggestions?
|
Bipod Recommendations
|
|
02-26-2018, 03:56 AM
I simply want the BEST overall for an AR15. To be used for prone and bench shooting. Suggestions?
02-26-2018, 03:58 AM
Sorry. Should have posted in the optics/accessory section.
02-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Atlas is the top of the line right now, but there are more coming this year. SHOT show had some nice offerings, now they need to come to market.
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
02-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Don't think you can go wrong with a Harris
02-26-2018, 04:00 PM
I'll never buy another Caldwell.
If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.
02-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Sticks Wrote:Atlas is the top of the line right now, but there are more coming this year. SHOT show had some nice offerings, now they need to come to market.This... Bigs28 Wrote:Don't think you can go wrong with a HarrisAnd this... TomSawyerNW Wrote:I'll never buy another Caldwell.And especially this! I have all three, and I like the Harris notch leg for quick setup. The Atlas is very configurable and useful, but can slow you down if you are in a bit of a hurry. Otherwise, the Atlas is quite solid, particularity with the rail mount.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
02-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Waiting for the atlas BT65-LW17
Gg&g. Just noticed your in Tucson, your home town co.
https://www.gggaz.com/xds-2-quick-detach...bipod.html
Harris is the popular benchmark for bipods. If there is a weakness it would be how it connects to the gun via a small button. AR's typically have MIL STD 1913 rails on the handguard so you'll need an interface button to connect a Harris. You can either use a quick detach which has this button, or have the button permanently attached.
The LaRue LT130, GGG 1406 and the Badger TRAMP are examples of quick detach rail mounts with the Harris button (I've used the LT130...It works, but makes the interface bulkier and heavier than it could be). Or you can permanently fit a Harris connector button to the underside of your handguard, if it is possible to do this (like the Samson Leymod Harris adapter; http://www.samson-mfg.com/product/KM-BIPOD-KIT.html Or, you can remove the Harris button and replace it with something more solid. Badger has recently introduced something called their, Low Profile Harris Mount: http://www.badgerordnance.com/low-profil...tinny.html. The downside is you can't take it on and off in a hurry like the quick detach mounts or even using the standard button and Harris' replacement wheel for screwing it on/off. The upside of the LPHM is the Harris is closer to your handguard and it's a solid fitting that does not rely on a single small button for interface. To be honest I have yet to use the LPHM so cannot comment on it other than say it is a recent innovation and on spec it solves an issue that concerns some. I have a couple of Harris, with the notched legs. Beware of counterfeits. All popular brands have been copied by the Chinese; Harris, Atlas and even the GGG 'freak's' talking about.
02-27-2018, 12:10 AM
Azgeek Wrote:I simply want the BEST overall for an AR15. To be used for prone and bench shooting. Suggestions? IMO ![]() Harris, 9-13", swivel version, with leg notches.
02-27-2018, 01:34 AM
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 01:48 AM by NugginFutz.)
Klem Wrote:Harris is the popular benchmark for bipods. If there is a weakness it would be how it connects to the gun via a small button. AR's typically have MIL STD 1913 rails on the handguard so you'll need an interface button to connect a Harris. You can either use a quick detach which has this button, or have the button permanently attached. For replacements of the Harris swivel mounts, these are a couple I found. I bought the Arasaka's, but found one flaw in that they have to be slid on, unlike the B.O. model. Neither have a QD. Left is the Badger Ordinance, right is the Arasaka Defense. [ATTACH=CONFIG]11184[/ATTACH] Removing the original plate is as easy as unscrewing a nut, removing a retention pin and sliding the old plate off. Put the replacement on and replace the pin and nut. Done. [URL="http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14319-Harris-Bipod-Replacement-Swivel-Mounts"] http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...vel-Mounts[/URL] Finally, I replaced the swivel plate locking nuts with locking levers, making loosening and securing the bipod a much simpler task. [ATTACH=CONFIG]11183[/ATTACH] https://www.amazon.com/ACCU-Ratchet-Leve...lock+lever
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
02-27-2018, 02:21 AM
NugginFutz Wrote:Finally, I replaced the swivel plate locking nuts with locking levers, making loosening and securing the bipod a much simpler task. +1 on this. The Harris S Series is nice but it is a PITA without this lever.
02-27-2018, 02:35 AM
+1 on Harris 9-13 notched leg swivel with aftermarket lever. This is best value proven design. Have not tried the atlas if you have the funds it is what people are upgrading too.
02-27-2018, 02:54 AM
Harpoon1 Wrote:IMO This and i also purchased the Odin Works Bipod adapter, Very low profile and works great.
02-27-2018, 03:14 AM
I have a couple of Harris's and an Atlas. The stiffness of the Atlas's legs make it much easier to consistently load. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. If I ever bothered to spend the time and ammo, I'm convinced I'd get smaller groups with the Atlas.
Let's go Brandon!
02-27-2018, 05:58 AM
Thanks everyone for this information! I have two fairly old Harris bipods. Neither have the notched legs which is really my main problem with them. Also, I always have to check them as the gradually come loose. May not have time to upgrade before Friday's testing so I'll probably have to make due with what I have. Maybe I can find an S series if I call around locally. There is always GG&G here in Tucson as mentioned if they can be found at retailers. Got no problem spending the money on an Atlas but I have not personally seen or touched them in person yet. Plus there are too many dam models.
02-27-2018, 06:20 AM
Forgot GG&G sells online. Thanks AZHTFreak! Plus a good friend has a buddy who works there. Their QDX-2 might be the ticket with a nice discount! Find out tomorrow.
02-27-2018, 06:36 AM
One last question. Panning and cant. Required features?
02-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Panning only needed for moving targets, e.g. hunting. Not needed for stationary range targets.
Tilt only needed on uneven ground. If your range has decent benches then again, not needed. Even in hunting you can play around with tilt using the adjustable legs and pushing one side into the dirt. it's a nice to have, not a have-to-have. If you want all the bells and whistles and money is no object then get both.
02-27-2018, 03:18 PM
I have Amazon prime and it says I can have a Harris and atlas bipod by tomorrow.
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|