Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
LaRue 6.5 Grendel Rifles
That's a great read.

Update the game knock-down survey if you haven't already.

Congrats!
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
LRRPF52 any updates on this gun I'm getting ready to retire my sabre defense in 6.5 grendel. They don't make them anymore and I would like not to where it out so I'm thinking of getting one of these and was wondering how it's going after you've had it awhile.
Reply
I've only shot it a few times.

I've been buried with work lately, hence the lack of posting as much.

Mark wanted me to see where the zero was at since they shipped the rifle and optics package separately.

No BS, my first group with the Burris 1.5-6x was exactly where his test group was.

I had originally mounted my LaRue LT-112/Vortex Viper HST 3-15x44 combo to do accuracy testing, but then put the LaRue/Burris combo on per Mark's request.

This is when I had the Viper HST on it, which I have yet to shoot in this configuration. He sent some Hornady Black and custom match ammo to me for testing that I still need to shoot for accuracy.

[Image: 20170721_184924_zpswlxrczwo.jpg]
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
i received my larue uu kit recently. i assembled it and threw it on a lower that i had available. i put on a ior 2x-12x scope. i loaded up everything (almost) and headed to the range. weather was a nice calm sunny 32. i set up and fired one shot at 50 to get on target. i adjusted the scope then went to clean it. oooopppps !!! i forgot my cleaning rod. oh poo. i did shoot three groups of three. i could not resist. first two were horn. sst. 1.5" and 1.25". then one group of horn. blk. 7/8". then the weather turned to sh*t. wind and snow coupled with rapidly falling temperatures. i went home. i am hoping that the more i shoot it the more accurate it will get. is that possible?? my last premium barrel was from x-caliber. after about 60 rounds it started grouping really well. my son with the same barrel shot a 5/8" group at 200 yards. it was almost unreal to see a group of that size with wolf.
Reply
Let me preface this with the caveat that these are the best groups I've ever shot. I do not consider myself a trained marksman, and know that there are many things I still need to learn to consider this the best my rifle will do. I will say though, I am confident in my ability to use what skill I have to good effect. I know the rifle is capable of more, and with time and training I may very well get better.

Here is some ironic grouping that I achieved recently with mine.

[Image: 38614144495_0a51925b5a_n.jpg]120 AE by bosephus, on Flickr

This was with a rushed zero check the weekend before I went hunting. The top hole is one shot as a sighter, I knew I needed to bring my initial zero down. The next two below it are 2-3. The three to the right are 4-6 and more rapid confirmation than trying to be perfect. I know I tend to pull slightly right when excited so I set my zero slightly left to compensate. I don't do it on the bench, but I will take any advantage I can give myself on an intended hunting zero because so far, I don't have the skill to prevent the adrenaline goofs.

It is also the most recent target I took a picture of for posterity. Since I haven't been able to do better with my reloads or BLACK, I haven't felt the need to take pictures. I keep my targets for analysis later. I might dig some out to learn from at a later date. I find I usually shoot better groups if I am focused on the now rather than trying to beat what I did on my last outing.

I have found my rifle really likes the Federal 120 factory loads. Now, if only Fed would sell it at a reasonable price point rather than the premium Grendel shelf price of $1.25/round. Especially with the innexpensive 120SMK.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
disregard. Brain not working.
Reply
My Larue bolt and pin measure 2.8005 and 3.27 respectively. If your pin is 3.37, I'd question it.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
disregard
Reply
I sent you a PM bfk4lyfe.
Reply
i had a chance to get out again today with my ultimate upper from larue. it was a very sunny day with a very blue sky. the temp got up to about 40. it felt great. i shot five groups with it. three with hornady sst, and two with hornady black. the smallest group was 9/16" and the largest was just under 3/4". all were shot at 100 yards. we still have about three feet of snow on the ground here. i am very pleased with the upper. but i am still waiting for my lower to come and my suurg kit. hmmmmmm
i have a 20" mcgowen barrel that is waiting for a handguard to arrive. i will get out and test that asap. this grendel thing sure gets addicting.

edit---those were my last five groups. i left them untaped so i could measure at home. i did have a few other groups, i do not remember exactly what they were. i am in my mid sixty's, a poor excuse but its all i have right now. i do think that they were somewhere around moa. the rifle does shoot very consistently good groups if i do my part. i was having a good day focusing on my shooting.
Reply
That McGowen won’t disappoint
Reply
Sorry for bit of a necro post, but I had a question about the upper kit. So I didn't order a Larue lower to go with my 6.5G UU kit as I already had several lowers laying around my house. While the Larue upper fits like a glove into the lowers, the outside of the receivers do not match very well. In some places the upper is wider and in others my lowers are wider. The back of my lowers, where the buffer tube attaches is wider than the back of the upper and i can see into the buffer tube, albeit slightly. This is true in several spots. Has anyone else experienced this? They are SAA, bushmaster, PSA, BCM, and Aero lowers and are all marketed as Milspec. I read than any milspec receivers should work fine but the fit of basically every other combo of receivers I have appears better. I may be over reacting, but I have never had an upper and lower go together like this. Am I over reacting? Thanks.

Here is a picture from both sides, looking at where the receivers meet. It is more or less like this for all lowers that I have.
[Image: x0xis9.jpg]

[Image: 2ypketf.jpg]


This last picture I used a stripped lower so the gap could be seen more clearly.
[Image: 2gxqwp0.jpg]
Reply
You can run it, I would just advise against doing any heavy dust and sand submersion testing.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
Their UU kit uppers fit their lowers but do not match up like their factory rifles.
This is a SURG upper on their lower. Not quite as bad as yours but still doesn't match perfectly like their factory rifles.
For $199 I'd order their lower since you have the upper.

[Image: N23Arfr.jpg]
Reply
That upper looks like mine. I thought the upper kit is the stealth upper? I'm considering getting their lower but I have like 5 just chilling at my HOUSE. I'd like to start shooting. It's slightly disappointing that the fit seems so odd.
Reply
That upper looks like mine. I thought that the upper kit came with the stealth? I've considered getting their lower, but I wanted to use one of the ones I've got chilling at home and get shooting. It's slightly disappointing that the fit seems so odd.
Reply
Always good to see another producer join the Grendel platform.

Uniqueness often is part of product differentiation, though often it doesn’t result in a functional improvement.
Reply
revaew Wrote:I may be over reacting, but I have never had an upper and lower go together like this. Am I over reacting? Thanks.

No worries about the necro part, we love talking about our rifles. Cool

My Rifle is perfect in form and function. The problem here is that everyone makes their own billet dimensions, and none of them are going to fit like they were made for the other unless upper and lower come from the same place, with the similar date of manufacture. Functionally, it should hold it's own rather well. If the fit of the outside dimensions is that much of a bother (as it sounds like it will continue to be) then shoot as is until the LaRue lower arrives. We now have discussions about the rifle, UU, and Surge all gumming up the works. This thread deals with the rifle, which has absolutely none of the fitment issues experienced above.

As far as the gap goes, if it passes a function test prior to firing, then fire it and see what works out. The LaRue crew obviously designed their billet pieces to be stonger in places it mattered, and lighter in the same way. If you read some of the first few posts in this thread LRRPF describes rather well how the final form of upper and lower were made for each other with subtle but surprising quirks and benefits. You will be well served by mating this upper with it's intended lower ASAP, and using another of your lowers as a place holder until then. I'd say you're on the right track.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
My biggest concern was the fact of it being okay to shoot with the gaps. I'll just take it a bit easy and shoot it as is until the larue lower comes in. Thanks for the info.
Reply
HuntTXhogs Wrote:That McGowen won’t disappoint

it sure didnt. i finally got out the other day to shoot the 20" mcgowan and a 12" mcgowan. the 20 did produce a 1/2" group at 200 and sub moa at 100. the 12" shot subminute at 100 and 200 with factory sst. i also finally got my larue suurg 2. it was starting to shoot-in a little at the end. i will do a write up asap. my old dog died a little over a week ago, then my father passed away thursday. i was on the second hole when i got the news. i finished the nine holes i was playing in a mens league. i did get to spend time with both my parents in so calif earlier this month.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)