Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Solution to the lack of hi-cap 6.5G Vepr mags
#1
Apparently, the Tapco 7.62x39 can be used to feed the 6.5G Vepr (with the use of a 7.62x39 bullet guide):

https://youtu.be/il8mw4YiISs

Now that's with a 20-rd Tapco mag. However, the 30 rounders might work, too. I loaded one I had laying around with 30 rounds of Wolf 6.5G with nary a hitch: no binding and the top round nests in alignment against the inside of the feed lips.

Who'd a thunk?Cool
Reply
#2
Non AR compatible.
Reply
#3
There is a lot of interest on the AK Files forum in regards to the 6.5 Grendel VEPR. The 6.5 Grendel VEPR is caught in the catch 22 where not enough rifles have been sold because of the lack of high capacity mags and no third party is convinced it's financially viable to produce a high capacity mag with so few 6.5 Grendel VEPR rifles sold.
Reply
#4
sneaky one Wrote:Non AR compatible.

Thank God!!!

Would like to see CZ chamber the Bren 805-6 in 6.5G. Now THAT I would buy!
Reply
#5
VASCAR2 Wrote:There is a lot of interest on the AK Files forum in regards to the 6.5 Grendel VEPR. The 6.5 Grendel VEPR is caught in the catch 22 where not enough rifles have been sold because of the lack of high capacity mags and no third party is convinced it's financially viable to produce a high capacity mag with so few 6.5 Grendel VEPR rifles sold.


Agreed, although IMHO, if they're going to all the trouble and expense to chamber a new caliber, they ought to support it with the hi-cap mags that everybody wants, especially since, thanks to US sanctions, Molot has owned the US market for Russian AKs for several years. Kind of a chicken and egg thing. Doesn't make sense, except for the fact that Russian industry (e.g. Molot) is perpetually on the brink of bankruptcy. Although they make great rifles by the millions, they haven't yet totally grasped capitalism and marketing: give the customer what they demand. Tula is finally bringing back the extremely popular, kick-ass 8M3 round after years of dropping the ball for no apparent reason. Fortunately, Wolf is mass producing good, inexpensive ammo that makes 6.5 Grendel more popular across the board.

As you say, there is a tremendous amount of interest in the 6.5 G in the AK community. If these cheap and plentiful 7.62x39 Tapco mags work as well for 6.5G as we see in the video, it could be enough to push popularity of 6.5G AKs farther along until we get dedicated 6.5 G hi-cap mags.

Looks like 7.62x39 drum mags would work, too, although I haven't seen anyone try them.
Reply
#6
sneaky one Wrote:Non AR compatible.

I think that is why the thread is titled in reference to 6.5G VEPR mags. VEPR in terms of the Molot Arms Factory AK variant.
Reply
#7
VASCAR2 Wrote:There is a lot of interest on the AK Files forum in regards to the 6.5 Grendel VEPR. The 6.5 Grendel VEPR is caught in the catch 22 where not enough rifles have been sold because of the lack of high capacity mags and no third party is convinced it's financially viable to produce a high capacity mag with so few 6.5 Grendel VEPR rifles sold.
I just looked over at that site yesterday for some reason.

There is a lot of incorrect information about 6.5 Grendel there, which seems to be the norm. Barrel length, ballistics identical to 6.8, bolts, chambers, the works, and all of it wrong.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#8
LRRPF52 Wrote:I just looked over at that site yesterday for some reason.

There is a lot of incorrect information about 6.5 Grendel there, which seems to be the norm. Barrel length, ballistics identical to 6.8, bolts, chambers, the works, and all of it wrong.

Other than a few of the subforums, I wouldn't recommend trying to lay down some serious technical discussions at that place.
Reply
#9
LRRPF52 Wrote:I just looked over at that site yesterday for some reason.

There is a lot of incorrect information about 6.5 Grendel there, which seems to be the norm. Barrel length, ballistics identical to 6.8, bolts, chambers, the works, and all of it wrong.

maxxmojo Wrote:Other than a few of the subforums, I wouldn't recommend trying to lay down some serious technical discussions at that place.


What? Snipings from the peanut gallery again?

Yeah, nobody over at the AK Files gives a shit about ARs...mainly because it's an AK forum. Of course, there's not much need for "serious technical discussions" when you already have a weapon that actually functions under the most adverse conditions on the planet...and we know that 6.5 Grendel is a direct descendant of the Russian 7.62x39 round, the most prolific cartridge in the world, fired by the most prolific firearm in the world, the AK, but I digress...

Anyway, hopefully this thread will continue on subject: 6.5G magazines for AKs -- and not digress into another predictable AK vs. AR shit show.

In other news, I'm hearing that Csspecs is considering making hi-cap mags for 6.5G AKs, which would be most welcome. They already make great mags for .308 AKs. So get on Csspecs' website and urge them to move forward with the 6.5G mags!

http://stores.csspecs.com/coming-soon/
Reply
#10
I tried hitting up Magpul and this is the response;


Thank you for contacting us.

At this time we do not have any plans to produce a mag for the AK's in any other caliber other than the 7.62X39, besides our AK74 mag which will hold the 5.45X39.

Thanks,
Mike



Customer Comment/Question:
Any plans on 30 round magazines for the ak style magazines for 6.5 Grendel? Vepr 6.5 Grendel owners and AR based Hydra owns are very interested in it. 
Reply
#11
Grendel Wrote:I tried hitting up Magpul and this is the response;


Thank you for contacting us.

At this time we do not have any plans to produce a mag for the AK's in any other caliber other than the 7.62X39, besides our AK74 mag which will hold the 5.45X39.

Thanks,
Mike



Customer Comment/Question:
Any plans on 30 round magazines for the ak style magazines for 6.5 Grendel? Vepr 6.5 Grendel owners and AR based Hydra owns are very interested in it. 


Yeah, the 6.5 AK market is probably too small for Magpul at the moment. Doesn't look like they even make mags for 6.5G ARs...Csspecs would be ideal, though, as they're more specialized towards AKs in unusual calibers and make excellent steel mags.
Reply
#12
PSA AK mag lower with tapco mags and a 6.5g upper? anyone have that combo laying around to test?
Reply
#13
I been thinking alot about the Vepr 6.5G. I really hope someone picks up the aftermarket mags for it. Holy crap the 10rd mags are exspensive as hell. Probably better off staying with the 20rd Tapco mags.
Reply
#14
My father absolutely loves his Vepr Grendel. It's the 20" model and it's surprisingly accurate.. 1-1.5 moa with handloads.

Only conundrum he runs into is getting a scope to mount solid and stay put.
Reply
#15
Kilco Wrote:My father absolutely loves his Vepr Grendel. It's the 20" model and it's surprisingly accurate.. 1-1.5 moa with handloads.

Only conundrum he runs into is getting a scope to mount solid and stay put.

20" model is the one I was looking at! Smile Little work to it I bet he could bring that group down. After watching Tim from the MAC shoot a 308 Vepr vs a POF 308 I was sold. Gave that POF run for its money!
How does he Have the scope mounted? Using a side mount and rail on top?
Reply
#16
Ditcher Wrote:20" model is the one I was looking at! Smile Little work to it I bet he could bring that group down. After watching Tim from the MAC shoot a 308 Vepr vs a POF 308 I was sold. Gave that POF run for its money!
How does he Have the scope mounted? Using a side mount and rail on top?

Yes, using a MI mount. Seemed secure, but after about 50 rounds it wanders/flexes everytime... haven't tried any other solutions yet..

Thing is a really good shooter, and has been dead reliable for him.
Reply
#17
Eastern Europe gun design, need an Eastern Europe Scope. I ran a couple of these on my PSL and loved them. [URL="https://kalinkaoptics.com/"]https://kalinkaoptics.com/

[/URL]
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#18
You could always have this done to your VEPR.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/...tive-arms/


I was told Definitive Arms charges $450 to do this.
Reply
#19
Kilco Wrote:Yes, using a MI mount. Seemed secure, but after about 50 rounds it wanders/flexes everytime... haven't tried any other solutions yet..

Thing is a really good shooter, and has been dead reliable for him.


RS Regulate makes the very best side rail AK mounts. A little pricy, but worth the money. Light, strong, hold zero:

https://rsregulate.com
Reply
#20
Christopher67 Wrote:You could always have this done to your VEPR.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/...tive-arms/


I was told Definitive Arms charges $450 to do this.


Yeah, with an AK permanently modified to take AR mags, I think you're getting the worst of both worlds. I'm not sure if DA is even doing that mod anymore and Canis has had a spotty CS record, to say the least. Also requires grinding down the front trunnion to get the AR mags to fit (doesn't seem advisable), which may be why DA is not doing that mod anymore.

Csspecs, which makes solid alternative-caliber AK mags, should have their "hi-cap" 6.5 Grendel mag coming out soon: http://stores.csspecs.com/coming-soon/

Otherwise, the Tapco 7.62x39 mags seem to work in a pinch.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)