09-14-2017, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM by Troutguide.)
First let me reiterate that I am an AR novice so do your own research, I will post the outcome of these "experiments" when I finish the gun. It may not function at all and I will have to go back to stock components or it may be as good as some competition 3 gun builds.
I am trying to reduce reciprocating mass to reduce perceived recoil and smooth the action of the gun. Again reducing spring weight and using lighter comments allows the system to perform but with less muzzle movement. I mostly just want a light gun for hunting. This will also speed the action of the gun and make follow up shots quicker and because of less movement you can stay on target. You can buy light buffers but I have more fun trying to make this work with cheap components and redneck engineering. The silicone tubing was my idea to cushion the blow of the weight inside the buffer and balance it a little better rather than all the weight at one end or just sliding around.
derek45 Wrote:the " big tail" was for the full auto sear
civilian hammers have the notch on the end ground off
JP takes it a step further
i have 3 or 4 of them installed,.....buy with confidence
JP is top notch stuff
Yup. The hammer tail on Mil-spec Fire Control Groups has a hook on it that interfaces with the auto sear as part of the timing mechanism that is tripped by the bolt carrier.
The selector shaft deadens the tail of the disconnector, so when you hold the trigger down, the hammer is no longer arrested by the disconnector. It then only has the auto sear to get caught on, which happens under spring tension.
This gif shows you SEMI mode for a few cycles, then FULL:
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
Trigger pre-travel adjustment set screw in place and blue locktite dried. I banged it around a good bit to make sure it is safe and it is 1/4 turn away from where it really felt good so thats where I left it. Fortunately the grip screw fit without needing a washer and the threads were full length so no additional work needed. Now I have a polymer lower with brass insert that I am not sure how to handle. Thinking a small set screw in the trigger body itself going down to lower would work, but that is for another thread. Barrel should arrive later today, lets hope.
bj139 Wrote:LR,
Great GIF. So the BCG releases the hammer just as the BCG locks into battery?
In the AUTO mode on a select-fire gun, the bottom leading edge of the tail on the bolt carrier trips the AUTO sear to release the hammer right after the bolt has locked into the extension.
It acts as the timing mechanism to allow controlled automatic fire on a locked breech.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
My adult son uses 3 different shaped ultra fine ceramic knife sharpening sticks. They are white and are ultra fine like my Spyderco knife triangle stones. He only hones facing function surfaces to a shiny smooth at the exact angle as manufactured. He is not even taking 0.0001" off so it does not effect safety. The sticks are flat so the surface stays flat and true. I re-blue everything. It totally takes all the grit feeling out of the trigger and make them break super clean. The picture is on my Grendel before I took it apart to install JP 3.5# trigger springs. There is some TW25B Grease on the Aero trigger parts but you can see the super smooth contacting surfaces. It makes a $50 trigger feel and function like a $150 trigger. It still is a single stage 3# trigger.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9777[/ATTACH]
Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.
LRRPF52 Wrote:In the AUTO mode on a select-fire gun, the bottom leading edge of the tail on the bolt carrier trips the AUTO sear to release the hammer right after the bolt has locked into the extension.
It acts as the timing mechanism to allow controlled automatic fire on a locked breech.
And of course this can ONLY happen as the bolt cams and locks in and the carrier basically screws into the auto sear for the final take up to trip the sear and release the hammer. Just another way stoners design was fairly brilliant in adding safety and adding a few milliseconds delay into making sure everything goes smoothly.
I finally got my Larue MBT and a Geissele HSNM DMR in the other chassis side by side. Man that Larue is pretty close. Granted I haven't adjusted anything yet on the DMR. AMD I can swap the spring for the lighter set but. Man that Larue is alot if trigger for the $. The $100 trigger competition is getting pretty dang good.