Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
I started my parts gatherings earlier this year with the plan of assembling a lightweight short barrel Grendel. As is standard procedure in my case, many distractions have come and gone. Now we proceed with the build.
After a fairly lengthy wait I received my barrel
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Barrels...arrel.html
I also picked up their heavy use bolt to go with it.
Sourcing parts is always fun and you seem to get many suggestions and gather many questions.
So ...I have some questions on the BCG. Since I have the bolt I need a carrier that would work well, My assumption is that most any carrier would work, the preference being a nickeled Boron Inox coated type? Are there any suppliers that will sell just the carrier? Are there specific parts /brands that offer specific advantages for the Grendel?
Suggestions are welcomed
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Any mil spec carrier will be just fine. If you want a fine piece of kit check out precision firearms.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
FPNI
Bare bolt carriers are available either stripped or with key from a number of sources, including MidwayUSA (DPMS, JP Enterprise), Brownell's (Colt, DPMS, etc), Tactical Ammunition (DPMS), and several others. If you purchase a stripped carrier, you'll need to purchase a key separately, and stake it yourself.
I'd forego the "special treatments", as chromed carriers tend to collect powder residue (in my experience), and NiB coatings can range from "meh" to "peels of within 50 rounds".
Good luck with your build and, as always, remember that pictures feed the Horde's need to appreciate fine weaponry.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 136
Threads: 8
Joined: Mar 2016
+1 on PF pleased with the casting so far.
Posts: 182
Threads: 3
Joined: Nov 2015
I'm gonna go with this one and see how it works out! Can't beet the price with free shipping over 99!
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...tid=590321
Posts: 311
Threads: 8
Joined: Aug 2016
I like BCM bolt carrier groups
Not the most important component in an AR but I am sure there are those out there who could screw it up.
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
82HALO Wrote:I'm gonna go with this one and see how it works out! Can't beet the price with free shipping over 99!
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...tid=590321
That's an entire bolt carrier group, including the bolt yes? Just pointing that out as you don't really need the bolt for a 6.5 build

.
Btw! That's a beautiful barrel!! Are you cutting it down to make it an actual short barrel?...or did you just mean 'short' in relative terms compared to an 18", 20" etc length build?
Posts: 311
Threads: 8
Joined: Aug 2016
CrisAnderson27 Wrote:That's an entire bolt carrier group, including the bolt yes? Just pointing that out as you don't really need the bolt for a 6.5 build
.
Btw! That's a beautiful barrel!! Are you cutting it down to make it an actual short barrel?...or did you just mean 'short' in relative terms compared to an 18", 20" etc length build?
well in my opinion it is always nice to have a spare bolt in the parts kit. that is where mine is. just remember if you change a bolt to check headspace with a go/no go gauge
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
Rickc Wrote:well in my opinion it is always nice to have a spare bolt in the parts kit. that is where mine is. just remember if you change a bolt to check headspace with a go/no go gauge
For sure!...if you have a 5.56 rifle as well. Either way it probably can't hurt. Just pointed it out in case he didn't see. ARP (the only company I've dealt with outside of Midway, Alexander, and Primary Arms) sells the M16 carrier by itself. But for an extra $20...this deal is worth it for the bolt.
Posts: 182
Threads: 3
Joined: Nov 2015
Yep, know that. I do have a couple of 5.56's, so I'm good for a backup bolt!
Looking at the 18" group buy, or a jp 22" with the bolt! Maybe I'll do both!
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
Nice!! Glad it will work out for you

.
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
MAN ...my parts are sure slow coming in. I guess all the AR related stuff is that way?
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
Your stuff still hasn't arrived?!
I ordered the parts to build a whole new gun on the 6th...some of them on the 10th!
This was yesterday. The barrel comes in today. The slowest part is the flash hider, which will be here Saturday!
Was it the carrier from Brownell that is taking so long?
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
![[Image: dateposted-public]](https://www.flickr.com/photos/105988702@N04/30708723506/in/dateposted-public/)
Finally made a bit of progress BCG and flash suppressor should be in this week
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
[IMG]http//www.flickr.com/photos/105988702@N04/30708723506/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8269[/ATTACH]
Made a bit of progress BCG and Flash suppressor should be in this week. The major delay has been $$
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
Made a bit of progress BCG and Flash suppressor should be in this week. The major delay has been $$
[attachment=5614]
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Blanco Wrote:Made a bit of progress BCG and Flash suppressor should be in this week. The major delay has been $$
gren.jpg
Make sure to isolate the barrel when you install your flash hider by taking the handguard off and clamping the barrel.
Also, I would recommend mounting the scope mount so that it doesn't bridge the upper and handguard, as you will often get zero shift that way.
Looking forward to how it turns out.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 34
Threads: 5
Joined: Mar 2016
Finally got all the pieces together and made it to the range yesterday. After making a few adjustments to the scope and about 6 rounds I finally had it shooting a decent group. I think I will have a bit more fiddling with things to make it to my liking.
One of the gunclub members came by and we were talking about the Grendel. He picked mine up and commented on the light weight.
Something I found a bit ...Interesting, was the bolt speed seemed a tad bit slow? it was slow enough that i noticed the " clack" after every shot. I was also somewhat less than impressed with the Alexander 5 Rd. Magazine. Are there any better alternatives?
Posts: 31
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2016
Do you have an adjustable gas block or a regular gas block? With the gas turned down my bolt carrier feels the same way, if you have a regular gas block then it's probably a small gas port in the barrel that makes it feel that way.