Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Just got my new Grendel put together.. Over the counter ammo recommendations?
#1
Hi Folks,

Fairly new here.. Got my upper and lower put together, and am exited to get out to the range to see what this bad boy can do. With that being said, what ammo would you recommend for

1. Paper punching inexpensive fun?
2. Hunting Deer and/or coyotes?

Thanks

Frank
Reply
#2
Frank,

Congrats on the rifle. Hornady 123 gr SST for hunting. PPU makes some FMJ rounds that are a bit cheaper. Wolf steel case are cheaper yet.

I looked at Dong's web site and they did show the Hornady AMAX. The site isn't extremely user friendly, so they may or may not have more options. It doesn't look like Bass Pro has any Grendel ammo.

There's lots of options available online.
Reply
#3
I have had good performance from the Wolf 100 grain. Conveniently it shot to the same point of aim as the 120 gr. PPU. For some reason the Amax 123 was more of a pattern than a group. Not sure what was going on there.
Reply
#4
I'm too new for the recommendations but I can help with the shopping/availability part.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-grendel
Reply
#5
Also look at the offerings from Precision Firearms (link at top of page) and from Alexander Arms most of which is also available from Cabela's. Have seen the Wolf steel case below $10 for 20 rounds fairly often.

If you get to looking around for it there are over 30 loads available to non-reloaders these days and growing.
Reply
#6
Hornady 123 grain A-Max has been very accurate round for me and not far behind is the 120 grain MPT from Wolf and the 120 grain HP BT from Privi Partizan. Graf's and Son have the 110 grain PPU FMJ on sale for $13.59 with reasonable shipping charges.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cate...oryId/175?


I've had good luck with Hornady brass and for me it is cheaper to buy factory Hornady A-Max and save the brass compared to buying virgin brass. If you don't reload there are many here on the forum who will buy once fired 6.5 Grendel brass. If you reload Lapua makes very good brass and is probably worth the extra expense over Hornady brass.

Federal just recently released a 120 grain HPBT factory load which I haven't tested. Precision Firearms sells loaded ammo in 50 round boxes which get very good reviews as well as ammo sold by Alexander Arms. I bought 500 Wolf steel case 6.5 Grendel ammo when it was first released. It's typical steel case Russian ammo and is dirtier to shoot and not as accurate as other 6.5 Grendel but it is cheaper and you don't have to worry about loosing valuable brass cases.
Reply
#7
Good advice, thanks! Surprisingly Dongs Grendel price on the hornady is cheaper than academy!
Reply
#8
Since you said over the counter, I was giving you some local options. I never thought about Academy carrying Grendel ammo, we don't have one here yet.

Let me know if you need to get rid of any of that Hornady brass.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)