Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
Could someone point me in the correct direction, Im looking at a barrel here http://riflebarrels.com/shop/65-grendel/...del-ar740/ along with this bolt http://riflebarrels.com/shop/accessories...ndel-bolt/ is .136″ bolt face depth the true/correct SAAMI spec Grendel? Also why is there a type l spec? Can someone enlighten me with the truth/links, getting a little confused & have been reading a ton lol. :confused::p
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
05-26-2015, 09:03 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM by am4966.)
.136 is the true saami spec'd bolt
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
05-26-2015, 09:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2015, 09:49 PM by Christopher67.)
am4966 Wrote:.136 is the true saami spec'd bolt
Thanks for the reply.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
The barrel bolt combo will work. Type 2 uses a .136" bolt face recess while type 1 uses a .125" bolt face recess.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
lead chucker Wrote:The barrel bolt combo will work. Type 2 uses a .136" bolt face recess while type 1 uses a .125" bolt face recess.
Thanks lead chucker.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Your welcome. I'm using a bolt from underground tactical in mine now with a barrel from BHW type 2 chamber .136" bolt recess. No problems, seems to be a solid bolt.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
lead chucker Wrote:Your welcome. I'm using a bolt from underground tactical in mine now with a barrel from BHW type 2 chamber .136" bolt recess. No problems, seems to be a solid bolt.
Did you send the bolt to BHW to head space it to your barrel or did you do that yourself?
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
No, I ordered the barrel from BHW and a bolt from underground tactical. The head space is the same on it as with my other barrel and my dads. Measured with hornady LNL head space gauge from shot brass from each, they all measure the same.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
lead chucker Wrote:No, I ordered the barrel from BHW and a bolt from underground tactical. The head space is the same on it as with my other barrel and my dads. Measured with hornady LNL head space gauge from shot brass from each, they all measure the same.
Aaaah ok thanks, I have a question to ask. I was reading the article below & noticed right below where it says "Its Not All Bad......" below that is a picture & the last sentence of the 1st paragraph below the picure says & I quote "And to shortcut the 6.5 Grendel crowd, NO, glad you like it, but it’s not the same." I sense hate in that sentence or am i wrong? Ok back on topic lol.
http://snipershide.scout.com/story/14966...e-your-308
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
The .125 or type 1 bolt spacing is the same as the 7.62X39 bolt used in many AR 7.62X39 platforms. The .136 or type 2 bolt spacing is the bolt created by Alexander Arms.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
To me its not a debate or argument, they are not the same or the grendel would be named 308 Winchester. It is the 6.5 grendel and is a great cartridge by its self. I own two now and love them both. Two year ago I killed a deer at 370 yards with mine, my dad is a die hard bolt gun old timer. After I killed that deer at that distance he had to build one and now shoots it quiet a bit. That says something to me! I couldn't be happier with mine for what they are, the same as my kids.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
05-27-2015, 02:08 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2015, 02:15 AM by Christopher67.)
lead chucker Wrote:To me its not a debate or argument, they are not the same or the grendel would be named 308 Winchester. It is the 6.5 grendel and is a great cartridge by its self. I own two now and love them both. Two year ago I killed a deer at 370 yards with mine, my dad is a die hard bolt gun old timer. After I killed that deer at that distance he had to build one and now shoots it quiet a bit. That says something to me! I couldn't be happier with mine for what they are, the same as my kids.
Awesome lead chucker, thanks for sharing. Honestly if IM going to finish my .308 build and decide to keep the receivers i have or sell them, I would just go with .308 & not 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 6.5 Grendel due to the fact that its a lighter system & my 10yr old can learn on it.
Thanks everyone for answering my question on Type I & Type II bolt differences.
Whats the rough expected life of say a Lilja barrel in 6.5 Grendel?
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Christopher67 Wrote:Awesome lead chucker, thanks for sharing. Honestly if IM going to finish my .308 build and decide to keep the receivers i have or sell them, I would just go with .308 & not 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 6.5 Grendel due to the fact that its a lighter system & my 10yr old can learn on it.
Thanks everyone for answering my question on Type I & Type II bolt differences.
Whats the rough expected life of say a Lilja barrel in 6.5 Grendel?
If I was to build a AR 10 it would be in a creedmore or a 260, but I love the light grendel with very little recoil. I dont have a lilja barrel but speaking in generally I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out unless you shoot the hell out of it.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
lead chucker Wrote:If I was to build a AR 10 it would be in a creedmore or a 260, but I love the light grendel with very little recoil. I dont have a lilja barrel but speaking in generally I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out unless you shoot the hell out of it.
Why in 6.5 Creedmoor, less recoil?
Posts: 181
Threads: 12
Joined: Sep 2014
Christopher67 Wrote:Why in 6.5 Creedmoor, less recoil?
Potato . . .Patato , The 260 and the 6.5 creedmoor are pretty much the same and If I were to do it all over I would go with the 6.5 creedmoor instead of the Grendel for the fact that you can get a bolt action gun to match pretty easily.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
I see some posts about dented cases, is this the case with all Grendel rifles or is it limited to a certain few type I bolts?
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Dented where on the case?
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
bwaites Wrote:Dented where on the case?
Towards or at the shoulder.
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
C67, attached is a PDF of an infographic I created to illustrate the issues involved in matching the bolt-face depth to the cartridge extraction groove.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:C67, attached is a PDF of an infographic I created to illustrate the issues involved in matching the bolt-face depth to the cartridge extraction groove.
Awesome, thanks for that. Is there a gauge of some sort that i can put my re-load in to check for proper OAL?
|