Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
I sincerely hope I did the horde justice in sharing my experience on why the Grendel is my go-to hunting rifle. Check out my article at... http://ar15hunter.com/the-6-5-grendel-ar...predators/
Posts: 430
Threads: 19
Joined: Nov 2012
Well done. Great article.
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
Good read. It is my go to gun also!
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Nicely done, but you forgot that Precision Firearms also manufactures ammunition!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
04-08-2015, 02:38 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015, 02:45 AM by Double Naught Spy.)
My apologies to Precision Firearms for the omission.
They actually have a nice selection. This I did not know.
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
bwaites Wrote:Nicely done, but you forgot that Precision Firearms also manufactures ammunition!
You beat me to it. My thoughts exactly.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Double Naught Spy Wrote:My apologies to Precision Firearms for the omission.
They actually have a nice selection. This I did not know.
They do! And your article is a great service to the caliber! Everytime I come on the forum I learn something, and I appreciate the good work and great members here!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 1,613
Threads: 24
Joined: Sep 2014
04-08-2015, 02:17 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015, 06:02 PM by JASmith.)
That is an excellent discussion of the Grendel and its abilities.
Thanks for getting it a wider audience!
Posts: 671
Threads: 75
Joined: Sep 2014
The Grendel is the Rodney Dangerfield of AR-15 calibers, "gets no respect". We know different. Good read, thanks for sharing, maybe it'll open some eyes.
Posts: 43
Threads: 6
Joined: Aug 2013
Great very accurate article. As more people are introduced to the Grendel, and more people are aware of its attributes, what is there not to like? We have the inexpensive steel case ammo available now, so plinking is affordable. This has got to be the most versatile caliber there is. Recoil is a non issue. Accurate 1,000yrd shots? Yes sir. Thanks for the great article. I will be sharing it.
Posts: 669
Threads: 94
Joined: Jul 2013
Great article. Should be sent to all the major rifle manufacturers.
It might wake them up!
Posts: 189
Threads: 11
Joined: Sep 2014
OP, Thanks for your article and spreading the word!!
65Whelen Wrote:The Grendel is the Rodney Dangerfield of AR-15 calibers, "gets no respect". We know different. Good read, thanks for sharing, maybe it'll open some eyes.
Well put. I have only had my grendel a month or two and each time someone asks about it and I say 6.5grendel I get that look and inevitable question.. "WHY? why not 6.8spc, 458socom, add you favorite fanboy cartridge?"
I found this nice comparison article 6.8spc vs 6.5G
http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.co..._vs_6.html
Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
Anderson Pistol lower:
16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Thanks, y'all for the nice comments. Nice comparison article lamright. I think the numbers would be a bit closer with comparable weight bullets, but the Grendel still be terrific.
We all have favorite cartridges for various applications and there are a lot of good ones out there, but the Grendel is really a caliber in a sweet-spot, ballistically. A lot of folks don't understand that.
Posts: 328
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2012
great article, 00Spy. glad to see your videos out there, too. DRT Butterball. CSMF
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 500
Threads: 11
Joined: Aug 2014
Excellent article, thanks for sharing!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Think of all the people out there who don't visit forums, who have stumbled onto the 6.5 Grendel as well. I run into them at ranges and formal shooting events all the time, and they all really like the performance of the cartridge for both target shooting and hunting.
A lot of Mauser-action based hunting rifles are gathering dust because of the new wave of high performance intermediate cartridges in the AR15, and the 6.5 Grendel is the one to beat out of them all.
Great article. I would note that Precision Firearms has 20 different factory loads for the 6.5 Grendel now. I'll update with a 2015 Factory Ammo List.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
"Stumbled onto" is about right for me, LOL.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
The cartridge sells itself without marketing hype or fans on the internet. The performance speaks for itself, and when experienced first-hand, the end-user walks away knowing that there is way more horsepower to be had than what .223 Rem could ever even approach, especially when you start to compare 6.5 Grendel more to a .308 when looking at retained energy, but recoil and handling more in-line with what we're used to from the AR15. Best of both worlds.
I find the most striking thing from your article and experience to be that you see no perceived difference in terminal performance on hogs when compared to the .308 Winchester, and this was important to you because of the shoulder injury.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
|