Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Billet Upper and Lower recomendations
#1
After making a profile on here...a long time ago...then life happening, I am finally about to get a 6.5G build underway. Just looking to make the big commitment to a matching upper and lower. Right now Northtech Defense is my top choice. Who else should I consider? Mega? Black Rain Ordinance? San Tan?

What are your thoughts?
Reply
#2
Precision Firearms would be my first choice, then Seekins Precision.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#3
I guess there are a number of good manufacturers doing billet but after my experience with Precision Firearms and the quality upper/lower I bought from Mark I would buy from him if a billet setup was in cards again. I think I will buy several of his new forged uppers and a forged lower when I have the funds to do so based on the quality machining he did on my billet upper/lower. Hope this helps in your search. John
Reply
#4
I want a megalithic upper. Been using Mega for a while and am satisfied. I haven't had experience with any others though.
Reply
#5
Worth considering features as well as reputation.

I prefer an ambi model for shooting off-hand.

Mega make an ambi model with the slide locking lever ambi (no need for a BAD Lever which frees up space for an ambi mag release).
Seekins has an ambi slide locking lever also.
Knights SR15 also has this feature.
PF lowers do not have this feature.
Standard MILSPEC lowers do not have an ambi slide locking lever.

Mega, Seekins and PF have a lower-to-upper tensioning screw. Knights SR15 and MILSPEC do not.

Knights SR15 and Seekins both have re-positioned the rear take-down pin spring and detent from the horizontal to vertical. Seekins retains theirs with a tiny Allen screw. Knights retains theirs with the handgrip in the same way the safety spring and detent is secured MILSPEC. No more fiddly buffer spring/detent assembly's.

Knights has an integral QD mount hole on their SR15 lower both sides. The others do not.

Mega, Seekins and PF all have integrated winter trigger guards. Knights SR15 does not.

Seekins uses screw-in pins instead of roll-pins.

Seekins, PF and Mega have bevelled mag wells. Knights does not.

7075 T6 aluminium all round. Mega, Seekins and PF have more meat in critical places. Knights is more MILSPEC in shape.

Like I said, full ambi works for me; Safety, mag release, slide release lever, charging handle. The ambi mag release in the photo is a Knights after-market. It is closer to your off-hand trigger finger than their SR15 integrated. Also closer than a Norgon.
[Image: 1_zps2rwldn1m.jpg]
[Image: 2_zpsyjqv3lsh.jpg]

We all have different preferences so each to their own.
Reply
#6
I have a few Megas and they are nice. I also tried the SanTan and they are ok. If I do get another brand I think Seekins will be the one.

I am left handed and only go for brands that are ambi.
Reply
#7
Apparition Wrote:I want a megalithic upper. Been using Mega for a while and am satisfied. I haven't had experience with any others though.

Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?
Reply
#8
SKYNET KC Wrote:Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?

I had one on a pistol build and loved the way it looked and felt in your hands. My 2 Megas I have now are not a mono and wish one was. One build can not use the mono rail as the dimensions do not fit the can. I am on the fence to get another billet upper and mono rail or just use the rail and upper I have now for my Grendel build.

And to answer the question I do think the way the rails mount can help. Mega, Noveske, Seekins and a few others use it. I am also just a fan of the smooth look of them.
Reply
#9
spectra Wrote:I have a few Megas and they are nice. I also tried the SanTan and they are ok. If I do get another brand I think Seekins will be the one.

I am left handed and only go for brands that are ambi.

I hear you.

Never seen a SanTan or Black Rain so cannot comment.

A stripped Seekins weighs a few grams more than a Mega. The forward angle of the mag-well in their designs no doubt accounts for this. If you hold them side by side you can see the Seekins has more metal to make this unique profile. I'm not a fan of the forward cant but you may like it. They make Arsenal Democracy's 'Reaper 33' lower as well (badged 'AD' for marketing). You can see the Seekins influence in the Reaper design.
Reply
#10
SKYNET KC Wrote:Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?

I just like the looks and simplicity of it. I'd probably use the level also. I see no advantage.
Reply
#11
SKYNET KC Wrote:Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?

The only advantage I can think of with a monorail/receiver is you can push the sight mount forward above the barrel with confidence. No requirement to use cantilever sight mounts and also frees-up rear rail space for both NVD mounts and BUIS. If you use reflex sights (0 magnification with no fixed sight relief) they can sit as forward as you like. I doubt if many Grendel users use reflex sights however.

If they allow for a stronger barrel/receiver bind then that is also a good thing.

Looking 'badass' implies use of the gun as an identity prosthetic. It's a tool, a machine. If what the machine looks like (form) is important to you then each to their own, but hopefully form doesn't come at the expense of function.
Reply
#12
I actually think there can be a mechanical advantage with a monolithic upper receiver.

Any stress that is normally transferred from the handguard to the barrel nut, for example, is non-existent with a monolithic upper. This can come from a heavy gun with a bipod, or from a shooting sling where a lot of pressure is applied to the fore end. There are other upper receivers that get around this by offering an extended mounting extension integral to the upper, without any contact with the barrel nut. The Seekins iMRT is an example of that.

It can also offer increased life on the bolt in guns that are run hot with dynamic sling tension, but most monolithic uppers seem to be used on heavier precision guns that aren't used as short ranges blasters, unless we're talking about the LMT MRP.

Free-floating the AR15 pretty much gets rid of this, so the actual benefits may be so small that they are not quantifiable by the consumer or our experiences. The most practical is as Klem mentions, and that is that no consideration for mounting location and cantilever scope mounts is necessary with a monolithic upper. It also offers a unified mounting plane for clip-on optics in front of your day optic, when looking at Thermals and other Night Observation Devices.

From a subjective standpoint, the monolithic upper feels very strong, solid, and gives a secure feeling to the gun in the user's hands.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#13
LRRPF52 Wrote:I actually think there can be a mechanical advantage with a monolithic upper receiver.

Any stress that is normally transferred from the handguard to the barrel nut, for example, is non-existent with a monolithic upper.

From a subjective standpoint, the monolithic upper feels very strong, solid, and gives a secure feeling to the gun in the user's hands.


I agree 100% with this.

I did really like the feel of the Mega Mono. I have not had a Megalithic and not sure I want to pay the price for one of those. They look real nice but....
Reply
#14
My Grendel is built on Seekins billet upper and lower. I like them a lot as much as I like Mega (my standard AR brand). The curved mag well is not bad. I didn't know if I would like it, but it is nice. The machining and finish are flawless. The upper and lower are also teamed up with Seekins SP3RV3 rail. The combination is well fit and nice.

I am now at another "one more thing, and it'll be done..." point. I am waiting for an UBR to come in. I was going to replace the ACS on it with a PRS, but thought I would give the UBR a try. Hope it works out otherwise another part will end up listed for sale.

Any of the billets listed you probably cannot go wrong with. Just choose which appeals to you most and go with it.
Reply
#15
Check out Sun Devil. Dave is a super guy to work with. Several other builders put there stamp on his upper/lower combos. Lots of options and colors too.
Reply
#16
Klem Wrote:Knights SR15 and Seekins both have re-positioned the rear take-down pin spring and detent from the horizontal to vertical. Seekins retains theirs with a tiny Allen screw. Knights retains theirs with the handgrip in the same way the safety spring and detent is secured MILSPEC. No more fiddly buffer spring/detent assembly's.
On my last several builds I have shortened the springs and held them in place with a set screw. Very cheap mod and no more "fiddly buffer spring/detent assembly's" works on both forged and billet.
Reply
#17
Great info on this thread. Thanks a ton guys. It's gonna be hard for me to sell one of my bolt guns just to buy an upper and lower. Ha.
Reply
#18
Another thing to keep in mind is: those that Machine from 7075 from those that use 6061.

Ambi bolt release is being explored as of now.
"Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
Reply
#19
PrecisionFirearms Wrote:Ambi bolt release is being explored as of now.

I can't help but think an ambi bolt release is becoming standard on all up-market lowers, and perhaps eventually MILSPEC. It is such a simple upgrade with a clear added feature. It's just a longer plunger to reach a single moving part on the other side.

I prefer the simplicity and lower profile of the MEGA, Seekins, Spikes and AXTS bolt release's. There are no disadvantages with their designs. Knights is a strangely sculpted design that is wobbly to the feel. Colt's (SP901) and the PDQ stick out too much for me. The BAD lever and Phase 5 idea is already redundant, although brand loyalty and marketing will keep this breathing long after rigor mortis has set in.
Reply
#20
I went with mega this this time around with the side charging upper for shooting prone and single feeding. As well as the ambi lower for the same reason. They look and feel great. Machined by an aerospace company and it shows.
quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)