Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
01-21-2015, 03:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 05:38 AM by m796rider.)
This little guy is built around curiosity.
I love SBRs. I have three of them in 5.56. I had one awhile back in 6.8SPC. But I've never really had one in 6.5 Grendel.
So after having read about how effective the Grendel round can be in shorter barrels, I decided I had to find out for myself. This 11.5" SBR is the result.
Particulars include a BHW 11.5" 1:8 twist .264LBC Type II (BHW's nomenclature) stainless barrel threaded 5/8x24, Alexander Arms Grendel bolt, and Griffin Armament 7.62 Flash Comp. The stock is one of the shorter LWCRi units (they make a micro stock kit that is even shorter) and the handguard is a BCM 10" KMR KeyMod.
Even with the beefy barrel profile the carbine weighs a bit over 6.5lbs empty. And since I only shoot Hornady factory 123gr loads, I'm guessing the chamber won't be an issue.
I'm looking forward to ringing some steel at 200 yards and beyond with this one...
ETA: I painted it tonight -- 3 colors of Aervoe camo and some netting... Took all of 20 minutes.
Here's what it looked like originally.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2015, 11:54 PM by VASCAR2.)
That would be great to take on a feral pig hunt. Thanks for posting, great looking SBR!
Posts: 500
Threads: 11
Joined: Aug 2014
Yeah really nice looking shorty! How does the gas system perform, does it cycle well?
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Me likely! Yes please let us know how it does. I'm very interested, thinking of cuting one down to 12.5" with a mid gas. It looks great you should be pleased.
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
Sweet bang stick!
How long until you get a suppressor for it?
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
01-22-2015, 08:07 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 08:33 PM by m796rider.)
Yeah, it's zeroed...
1/2"-ish spread at 50 yards using a 4MOA red dot. I'll take it.
No problems to report, all rounds fired correctly, no hangups on extraction or ejection, brass in a nice pile at my 4 o'clock.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,716
Threads: 42
Joined: Aug 2011
Great looking gun! I take it from your forum name you also ride a Monster? (As in Ducati M796?)
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM by m796rider.)
Variable Wrote:Sweet bang stick!
How long until you get a suppressor for it? 
Probably never... I have a Surefire suppressor for my 17" Grendel and it works great with the midlength gas system on that barrel. I've never been all that fond of getting gassed in the face or cleaning up after using a can on an AR, especially a short one. This SBR will remain a BANGstick...
biodsl Wrote:Great looking gun! I take it from your forum name you also ride a Monster? (As in Ducati M796?)
I had a Corse-bodied M796 for a couple of years -- great bike, but I'm taking a break from riding until my kids get a little older. Definitely following all the new Italian bikes coming out, though...
As for the carbine, I'm seriously considering one of the new Leupold D-EVO 6x optics to put behind the T-1. I'm thinking about what a cool little package that scope would make this gun.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
That's a sweet set-up dude. I'm thinking about cutting one of my 16" barrels down and making it an SBR with a similar set-up.
With ThunderBeast's new 5" and 7" Ultra cans (7.6oz and 9.6oz), it would make an awesome set-up.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
Nice stick! Glad to see some other SBR Grendels. I run a 12-inch suppressed myself. Good shooter and handy to hunt with.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Hey m796rider where did you get your bolt at? Thanks
Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
lead chucker Wrote:Hey m796rider where did you get your bolt at? Thanks
I scored an AA bolt off Ned Christiansen about a year ago. He had been testing Grendel configs for a magazine article and was done with all his 6.5G parts. The other AA bolt I have I got directly from Alexander Arms a couple of years back.
Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
I updated the OP with a pic of the SBR painted. Works for me...
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Thanks for the info! Paint look great, congrats on a great build.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
What was the lead time on your barrel? Thanks
Posts: 399
Threads: 39
Joined: Jul 2011
lead chucker Wrote:What was the lead time on your barrel? Thanks
About 2 weeks direct from BHW. Turnaround was quicker because I did not ask them to coat or paint my barrel.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Wow that's not bad at all! Thanks for the info, great looking SBR.
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
m796rider Wrote:I updated the OP with a pic of the SBR painted. Works for me...
![[Image: 65sbr_painted.jpg]](http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/65sbr_painted.jpg)
Man, I love that paint job! That looks really great! What paints did you use?
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
|