Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Rifle Weight
#1
Folks ,

I had Krieger make me a 20" stainless , fluted , .223 Wylde VARMATCH barrel and assemble to my upper .
If I do my part it's a shooter . But a little heavy

Now I'd like to do the same but in 6.5 Grendel but I'm thinking of an 18" barrel . I don't intend to shoot past 350 yards . Is the 18" adequate ? How about the weight,has anyone got this setup ?

The Grendel will be about the same as the Wylde
Geiselle DMR
Krieger free float hand guard
Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50/40
A2 stock

Thank you in advance for your help . I'm a new old guy
Soup
Reply
#2
350yds is SBR territory for Grendel. An 18" will exceed that all day long. Is this for hunting or target shooting?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#3
My intent is coyotes , fox , groundhogs , and making 5/10 shot holes in paper . I want it to be an accurate rifle .
Soup
Reply
#4
If 350 is your limit, I'd go 16". I shoot my 16" out to 500 with confidence.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#5
I understand that the 16" has the potential for accuracy out to the further reaches of say, 500+ yards. What about use for hunting whitetail at those distances with a 16"? Are the 123gr bullets going to hit hard enough and penetrate enough at those ranges?
Reply
#6
My 16" will send a 123gr SST at 2500 MV, which puts me at 1700fps at 520 yards (density altitude 1322 ft). Hornady advertises these to open reliably down to 1600fps (someone correct me if I misstated the min fps). It's at 1000 ft lbf at 370.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#7
I use a 18" barrel. Its plenty for hogs and coyotes @350. A 14" barrel also works at that range.
Reply
#8
I'm going SBR for my next deer blaster in 6.5 Grendel. 18" is long in The Appalachian mountains.

Length does not equal accuracy nor precision, but a Precision Firearms upper does both!

MY 18" http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...post102190
Reply
#9
Okay, new here. What is SBR?
Reply
#10
AZ. Old Guy Wrote:Okay, new here. What is SBR?
Short barrel rifle. and a $200 tax stamp and well worth it for a short gendel in my opinion!
Reply
#11
I live in the Empire of NY so 16" is the shortest I can go. The 400-500 will be the exception rather than the rule, unless I can get into some areas that I've been looking at. I like the way my 18" bolt rifle handles in the woods, but looking for something different like the Grendel.
Reply
#12
I am curious why one would prefer an A2 stock if one were concerned about weight? I really disliked them anyway because I have the arm length of an average premature baby so I might be biased, but the weight distribution and balance would be weird with a shorter barrel and that stock no?
Reply
#13
KentuckyBuddha Wrote:I am curious why one would prefer an A2 stock if one were concerned about weight? I really disliked them anyway because I have the arm length of an average premature baby so I might be biased, but the weight distribution and balance would be weird with a shorter barrel and that stock no?

New York doesn't allow adjustable stocks, do they?
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#14
KentuckyBuddha Wrote:I am curious why one would prefer an A2 stock if one were concerned about weight? I really disliked them anyway because I have the arm length of an average premature baby so I might be biased, but the weight distribution and balance would be weird with a shorter barrel and that stock no?
Can't say for sure without actually handling a rifle so equipped, but this one doesn't look bad:

[Image: 857961_619797161397045_1796496971_o.jpg]

Personally, I think I'd prefer a stock like one of these:
[Image: TR1741-2.jpg][Image: p_100006552_1.jpg]

BTW, there are fixed stocks with very short length of pull available. For instance:
[Image: p_739000009_1.jpg]
Reply
#15
I was making hits at 942 yrds last Sunday at the range with my 18" BHW, granted it was a rock out cropping but I was reliably hitting it... I think you should do a pinned 14.5 if thats all your going to be shooting.
Reply
#16
In NY, if it's a semi-automatic with a detachable magazine, an adjustable stock is one of the evil features that makes it so dangerous it is classified as an assault weapon. Other features include pistol grip, thumb hole stock, flash hider, and threaded barrel. Only ONE of those evil attributes is needed to make it an assault weapon. The ever resourceful patriots have come up with many ways to get around the UN-Safe Act. That is why SafeAct II has been written and is waiting for the opportune time to be introduced.
Reply
#17
Oh, sorry gents. That definitely was not salting the wound. Lots of people like lots of things for lots of reasons that for some reason are not immediately apparent to me so I thought I would ask and possibly learn something. LOL
Reply
#18
Not much to go wrong with an A2 stock and it doesn't move around like some of the adjustable stocks can under recoil
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)