Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Maximum short range effectiveness on deer?
I'm still waiting on my 16" barrel Sad So.. Gun season opened and I took my .308. Yesterday, I was there about 5 minutes and a 140lb ish doe stepped out. I shoot that 125 grain nosler ballistic tip with the same thinking here in this thread. I hit the deer broadside about 2 inches off the edge of the shoulder lower/mid-height (she had her head and shoulder behind a tree). This was about a 25 yard shot, impact velocity should have been 2950+ fps.

Well, ya.. The entrance hole looked like an explosion, the exit hole the same. Both sides had holes a little bigger than a quarter, but they were also ripped longways about an inch, maybe rib bone fragment tears.. There was about a handful of lung on the ground next to where she stood, and it actually sprayed a bit of lung onto the tree 2-3 yards behind her.

She almost flipped over from the impact, but then hopped off down the hill and ran into a tree about 60 yards away. After dressing her heart wasn't touched, it was just pure lung explosion type stuff.

I totally didn't get a DRT. I'm guessing I should just have some faith and pick a good bullet and put the shot in the right spot and this type thing is worst case scenario.. She left a large blood trail, and we found her in minutes.

I'm just trying to do my part and make an ethical kill, and I sure don't want to lose one. Already had some deer fillets!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)