Wondering what the thoughts from experienced grendelers are on shooting whitetail at 250-300 yds. Through the shoulders in an effort to anchor him there, or would it be safer to go for the boiler room? Thanks for any help.
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
11-18-2013, 02:07 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM by txgunner00.)
I personally aim high shoulder no matter what caliber I'm shooting. I have not had anything take a double lung hit and move more than a few yards if at all.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
Agreed -- at longer ranges (and, for me, 300 yds is a longer range), I would prefer double lung shots. Just posted a short range (100 yds) 123SST thru both shoulders (
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post76966) that worked well.
Thanks for the reply guys. I have been using a 7mm rum, but the Grendel is so accurate, I can't bring myself not to use it. I am close to property boundary so I would really like to anchor the deer there. I can get on to neighbors property if one is hit, but not without some serious grumbling from the neighbor.
Excellent buck Y85, congratulations.
Yes shooting near a property boundary is always a tough shot. The perfect shot would be broadside, letting him take a step out with his far side front leg then shoot him through the chest breaking his far side shoulder. In theory. Since I dont shoot as well as some, I would probably go for the double lung shot.