Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
So I'm building a target gun. I've never been a target shooter or hunter but would like to hone some skills at long distance shooting.
I have a 22" Brux Barrel with a Les Bauer Bolt and an upper and lower cerakoted and ready to go.
Now I need to get down to the nitty gritty of parts selection.
STOCKS:
My natural reaction is to go to the Magpul PRS for some target shooting with its adjustments and monopod option.
I would say the uses would be a range gun from a bench and then later as I get better do some prone shooting. Is this the best option out there?
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
PRS is what I decided on as well. They are not THAT heavy either in the event you change your mind about your intended use.
Posts: 345
Threads: 22
Joined: Mar 2012
I mainly shoot from a bench and use the PRS and well satisfied with it.
I also went with the PRS, the problem I am running into with it is that I need a riser to lift my scope otherwise I am not getting any benefit from adjusting the cheek. I have the Nikon one piece 223 mount but I can still only lift the cheek about 1/4". How does everyone else mount their scopes when using a PRS stock?
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
For target shooting definitely the PRS. The other comparable stocks on the market are more expensive and don't seem to offer an advantage other than maybe weight savings.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
Hmmm.....I'm seeing a trend here.
Wiersy111, how tall is the mount?
So you had to raise the optic because it was too low and now you can't get the cheek weld high enough? Am I reading that right.
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
The PRS stock is a good target-long range stock but is heavier than other standard, telescopic stocks. If you are shooting long range the extra weight can be advantageous to steady shooting. If you are going to carry your rifle long distances I would look for a lighter option. When climbing up mountains every ounce can add up. It all depends on the use of your rifle and what your main goal is.
Posts: 240
Threads: 31
Joined: Jan 2013
wiersy111 Wrote:I also went with the PRS, the problem I am running into with it is that I need a riser to lift my scope otherwise I am not getting any benefit from adjusting the cheek. I have the Nikon one piece 223 mount but I can still only lift the cheek about 1/4". How does everyone else mount their scopes when using a PRS stock?
Is your scope hitting the cheek riser, thus preventing you from adjusting the cheek weld? If that is the case then your scope is mounted way too far back.
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
wiersy111 Wrote:I also went with the PRS, the problem I am running into with it is that I need a riser to lift my scope otherwise I am not getting any benefit from adjusting the cheek. I have the Nikon one piece 223 mount but I can still only lift the cheek about 1/4". How does everyone else mount their scopes when using a PRS stock?
If you can only raise the cheek weld 1/4" something is wrong with your PRS.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 253
Threads: 15
Joined: Feb 2013
I believe he is saying that his scope is mounted low enough to where he currently doesn't have to use the cheek riser.
Posts: 257
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2013
I'm a fan of the PRS, as well. Nice to have LOP and Cheek Weld adjustments. As others have mentioned, the weight can be beneficial on the bench, and also serves me well by helping balance my rifle's bull barrel.
As far as needing a riser for your scope in order to see any benefits from the PRS's cheek adjustment goes, I don't see the problem. By my way of thinking, if your eye aligns with the optics in a lower position, that is an advantage. I've always believed it to be best when the scope is as close to the bore as possible. If you don't need the cheek adjustment to get aligned, all the better.
My scopes are always mounted with the lowest possible rings, with as few components needed to get there - preferably using one piece mounts.
"A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."
Charles F. Kettering
lilharcher Wrote:I believe he is saying that his scope is mounted low enough to where he currently doesn't have to use the cheek riser.
Bingo!
I like a high cheek on my rifles and the Nikon mount only raised the scope far enough to only allow me to lift the PRS cheek 1/4". This is not my first rodeo, the scope is mounted correct and the PRS is fine. I stopped at a local gun dealer on the way to the range today and they had a 1" AR flat top riser so I bought that and threw it under the scope now I have the range of adjustment that I need, I think, if not I will have to find a 1/2" or 3/4" riser. I was just asking what others use to lift their scopes.
babaganoush Wrote:I'm a fan of the PRS, as well. Nice to have LOP and Cheek Weld adjustments. As others have mentioned, the weight can be beneficial on the bench, and also serves me well by helping balance my rifle's bull barrel.
As far as needing a riser for your scope in order to see any benefits from the PRS's cheek adjustment goes, I don't see the problem. By my way of thinking, if your eye aligns with the optics in a lower position, that is an advantage. I've always believed it to be best when the scope is as close to the bore as possible. If you don't need the cheek adjustment to get aligned, all the better.
My scopes are always mounted with the lowest possible rings, with as few components needed to get there - preferably using one piece mounts.
That is the way all my bolts are, some scopes just a hair above the barrel. On the AR's I feel like I am burying my head way down to get a comfortable cheek weld.
Keep The Change Wrote:So I'm building a target gun. I've never been a target shooter or hunter but would like to hone some skills at long distance shooting.
I have a 22" Brux Barrel with a Les Bauer Bolt and an upper and lower cerakoted and ready to go.
Now I need to get down to the nitty gritty of parts selection.
STOCKS:
My natural reaction is to go to the Magpul PRS for some target shooting with its adjustments and monopod option.
I would say the uses would be a range gun from a bench and then later as I get better do some prone shooting. Is this the best option out there?
This is What I went with:
Magpul PRS Stock.......................................225.00
MDT Engineering Extendable Buttplate...................112.00
Cascacadia Armament QD Detachable Sling Mount(PRS)..... 37.00
Midwest Industries QD Flush Cup Sling Swivels...........32.00
Badger Ordinance 22 MOA Picatinny Riser..................92.00
Posts: 252
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2011
wiersy111 Wrote:Bingo!
I like a high cheek on my rifles and the Nikon mount only raised the scope far enough to only allow me to lift the PRS cheek 1/4". This is not my first rodeo, the scope is mounted correct and the PRS is fine. I stopped at a local gun dealer on the way to the range today and they had a 1" AR flat top riser so I bought that and threw it under the scope now I have the range of adjustment that I need, I think, if not I will have to find a 1/2" or 3/4" riser. I was just asking what others use to lift their scopes.
I have the PRS stock and used a Larue LT 104 mount. Perfect fit for me
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
If the scope's centerline is 1.5" above the rail (common height on AR's), little to no elevation of the PRS cheek riser is needed for bench shooting. It's other positions when the head isn't perfectly placed where the riser comes into play, such as some prone shooting.
Drifter
The PRS definitely has happy placement on a couple of our 7.62 NATO rifles, but I also like the ACS-L. With the scopes and mounts we have used on the ARs, the ACS-L gives a perfect cheek weld and LOP at 0.8 pounds compared to more than twice as much, 1.7 pounds, for the comparable PRS.
Posts: 1,716
Threads: 42
Joined: Aug 2011
babaganoush Wrote:I'm a fan of the PRS, as well. Nice to have LOP and Cheek Weld adjustments. As others have mentioned, the weight can be beneficial on the bench, and also serves me well by helping balance my rifle's bull barrel.
As far as needing a riser for your scope in order to see any benefits from the PRS's cheek adjustment goes, I don't see the problem. By my way of thinking, if your eye aligns with the optics in a lower position, that is an advantage. I've always believed it to be best when the scope is as close to the bore as possible. If you don't need the cheek adjustment to get aligned, all the better.
My scopes are always mounted with the lowest possible rings, with as few components needed to get there - preferably using one piece mounts.
+1. Maybe I'm just lucky. The straight pull of an AR stock and the 1.4-1.5 inch rise of most AR scope mounts fits me just fine. I do appreciate the shorter length of pull of the A1 stock (I'm 5'10" and about 155 pounds). My last build used a Magpul Fixed Rifle Stock. It has a solid feel, can be fitted with a mono-pod and seems to work well from any shooting position.
Final thought: we like what we like. If you like the PRS and it takes a little extra to make it work, go for it!
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I have my answer now
|