03-12-2011, 04:29 PM
|
Deer Hunting 2010
|
|
03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
What barrel length was your 6.5 Grendel on the rifle you used to take this buck. At that range still pretty good shooting and impressive bullet performance for an A-Max that far out.
03-13-2011, 02:41 AM
All of these fell to the 100 TTSX this year:
My 7 yr old got his first 2 deer, both whitetail does, at 65 and 90 yds with my Grendel. ![]() ![]() With the Grendel, I took my first pronghorn ![]() along with 2 whitetails and a coyote. Here is one from last year taken with the 120 gr Nolser BT
03-14-2011, 03:16 AM
VASCAR2 Wrote:What barrel length was your 6.5 Grendel on the rifle you used to take this buck. At that range still pretty good shooting and impressive bullet performance for an A-Max that far out. I used my 14.5" bbl carbine, it is a Colt Lower with A2 Stock, AA enhanced bolt, G10 FF tube, custom tuned trigger, WCI brake pinned on, it has a 3.5-10x44mm Scope with stadia lines. It is a Pentax. ![]() ![]()
03-15-2011, 01:41 AM
Nice deer and very impressive results for a 14.5 inch carbine IMHO! I have a 16" and I really like it. Can't wait to take it hog hunting.
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
It's a damned shame we can't use rifle for deer in Illinois.
I mean what is the difference, shotguns can reach 250yds easily now. Those Hornady SST are accurate like large caliber rifle at 200yds, I have shot them and get 2" groups at 200yds. My Benelli M1S90 Tactical with the rifled bbl on it shoots like a damned Beowulf, only the ammo is twice as expensive as a Beowulf.
03-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Some are modifying a WSSM case to make it legal for Illinois. Dtech is making uppers. I think the 458 socom is legal too.
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
StoneTower Wrote:Some are modifying a WSSM case to make it legal for Illinois. Dtech is making uppers. I think the 458 socom is legal too. Olympic Arms already makes WSSM uppers. What needs to be modified? I understood you could use pistol calibers in Indiana, is that not also the case in Illinois? What weird laws!!! Washington has its weird ones too. You can legally buy and own suppressors, even attach them to weapons, you just can't FIRE the weapon with a suppressor attached. Makes sense, Huh?
03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
StoneTower Wrote:Some are modifying a WSSM case to make it legal for Illinois. Dtech is making uppers. I think the 458 socom is legal too. That is Indiana, Illinois does not allow rifle for deer, unless muzzle loaders. http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Docu...Digest.pdf See page 10 It is not only illegal to use rifle for deer, but it is also illegal to even possess a rifle in the field during deer season for any reason. Illinoistan, where the progressives feel at home.
03-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Classic case where 1 or 2 counties dictate what laws are for the rest of the state. A concealed weapon bill just passed out of committee to the house floor this week. I bet the bill has a chance of passing in the house, who knows about in the state senate but I wouldn't be surprised if our Governor wouldn't veto the bill. A lot of Illinois gun laws are because of Chicago/Cook County and the far Northeast of the state. In reference to allowing people to hunt deer with rifles in Illinois I guess there is a concern some idiot from Chicago might shoot some farmers cows from a greater range than they can with a muzzle loader or shotgun.
03-16-2011, 08:15 AM
warped Wrote:That is Indiana, Illinois does not allow rifle for deer, unless muzzle loaders. I knew it was a state that started with an "I" I guess it is Indiana but there is a minimum bullet caliber and a maximum case length when a rifle is used. The WSSM case is just a few thousands too long and DTECH is shortening the case (trimming) and necking it up to .358 to make it Indiana legal. http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htmI would love to have one in .25 or the new .30 wildcat. Some say the 6.5 bullets are too long or I would choose 6.5. Cheers, David
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Harvested this buck using the AA factory 129 gr SST. Went straight down with 1 shot.
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I would choose the Beowulf if I had those limitations.
You know you won't have to shoot it twice. In most of Indiana you would not need more than 300yds ever. sure it would drop some but past 225yds you might have a problem with anything else. I think Indiana might start revising that law if they see cartridges that exceed what they consider safe ranges.
03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Goju Wrote:Harvested this buck using the AA factory 129 gr SST. Went straight down with 1 shot. Nice deer, did you go up north or local?
03-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I hunt just south of Superior, in the Solon Springs area. Lots of big country, so we can get away from the crowds...but it can be brutally cold. I think the first year we hunted there it was -30F with the wind chill.
03-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Nice critters all around gentleman.
03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
warped Wrote:I used my 14.5" bbl carbine, it is a Colt Lower with A2 Stock, AA enhanced bolt, G10 FF tube, custom tuned trigger, WCI brake pinned on, it has a 3.5-10x44mm Scope with stadia lines. It is a Pentax. Nice setup and nice deer. Wish they grew them like that down here.
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
warped Wrote:Nice deer, did you go up north or local? It was up past Withee WI, about a mile south of Chewaumagon.
09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Handgun caliber restriction for IL: a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.
The bottleneck .30 cal cartridges are .300 Whisper and .300 Bellm (could be others that I'm not aware of). The rule allowing any straight-walled cartridges is new (last year or two). So, you can beat yourself up with a revolver in 45-70 or any of the .50 cal pistols out there. Apparently these bullets won't go as far or do as much damage as rifle cartridges fired from rifles....or magnum shotgun slugs for that matter. I feel much safer in the IL woods w/ only 12 ga slugs and .50 cal pistol slugs flying around...thank goodness I won't be killed by a .270 or .30-06. Only an oz. of 12 ga lead. |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


![[Image: DCP_5464b.jpg]](http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/NASA_45/Hunting/DCP_5464b.jpg)
![[Image: DCP_5466c.jpg]](http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/NASA_45/Hunting/DCP_5466c.jpg)
![[Image: 0925101620a.jpg]](http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/NASA_45/Hunting/0925101620a.jpg)
![[Image: IMG_0234.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/IMG_0234.jpg)
![[Image: 8Point11-10-2010-1.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/8Point11-10-2010-1.jpg)
I guess it is Indiana but there is a minimum bullet caliber and a maximum case length when a rifle is used. The WSSM case is just a few thousands too long and DTECH is shortening the case (trimming) and necking it up to .358 to make it Indiana legal.