FiremanTx Wrote:Very good to know! Thanks for informing me of that, I would have never known or even thought to check. It does have a rifle length spring and I also have the standard rifle length buffer that came with it so I'll throw that in there. I was just wanting to get as little felt recoil and muzzle rise as possible. I thought a heavier buffer might help, may look into a heavy buffer anyway. Will a heavy buffer make much of a difference with the muzzle brake? The good news is that I now have a T2 that I need to build a carbine around!
A standard rifle buffer is 5.2 oz., so there aren't many carbine buffers that can come close to that weight. Another thing about AR15 buffers for high-power rifle cartidges is that the reciprocating internal weights are important to prevent bolt carrier bounce. Some people figure throwing in a 9mm SMG buffer will do the trick because they are so heavy, but the buffer body is heavier on a 9mm buffer since there is no gas system or locking mechanism on a 9mm SMG. The series of carbine heavy buffers for the 5.56 Commando-length barrel guns are there to compensate for the increased gas port diameter necessary to run a 10", 10.5", 11.5", and 14.5" barrels.
Buffer - Weight Oz / Gram - Notes
A2 - 5.2 / 146g - Full Stock
Carbine - 2.9 / 84g - Standard Carbine - Aluminum body
Carbine- M4 3.8 / 107g - Standard M4 - Aluminum Body with 2 Steel and 1 Tungsten Weight
Carbine/M4 (H2) - 4.6 /129g - M4 - Aluminum Body with 1 Steel and 2 Tungsten Weights
Carbine/M4 (H3) - 5.4 /152g - M4 - Aluminum Body with 3 Tungsten Weights
9MM - 5.5 / 155g - Steel body with 3 Steel Weights
9MM (A) - 6.3 / 177g - Steel body with 1 Tungsten and 2 Steel Weights
9MM (B) - 7.1 / 200g - Steel body with 2 Tungsten and 1 Steel Weight
9MM (X) - 7.9 / 222g - Steel body with 3 Tungsten Weights