Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Joined: Apr 2019
I was just on Brownell's website and noticed they had a Lee two die set for 6.5 Grendel that included a collet neck sizer with some kind of seater, listed as a new item. Cost about $32. Combined with a body sizing die, these collet type Lee neck sizers give me excellent concentricity in other bottle neck rifle cartridges I load. So, bye-bye miserable bushing type neck sizers! These Lee collet neck sizers for 6.5 Grendel were previously only available if you sent them a few fired brass pieces and waited, plus they cost $80 IIRC. I ordered the set. Probably won't use the seater but this was the only way I could get that collet die.
Posts: 61
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2019
I got my set of the off the shelf Grendel dies last week. I have these collet dies in 6 other calibers and have what I feel very good success with them. Now I will say this set is a little rougher than the others, more machining marks and I had to use a probe to push the collet out for cleaning, it was stuck in there pretty hard. However I loaded 30 rounds and the die worked like it should.
Now these new dies do have the new "improved" collet. The collet does not size the case mouth entirely, there is now about .050 at the mouth unsized. This change was supposedly asked for by lead bullet shooters to make bullet seating easier. Go on over to the accurate shooter website, there is quite a bit wailing and gnashing of teeth about this change, myself I'll just wait to see the outcome on my groups before I pass judgement.
Posts: 104
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2019
I would imagine a FCD set to what would normaly be just contacting the neck would probably get rid of that unsized portion real quick.
Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Joined: Apr 2019
Yeah Laman, I've heard 'em whining about the change in the collet at Accurate Shooter. I'm interested to see how it works and am withholding judgment for now. These collet dies are a bit rough but a few minutes with some emery cloth helps. Seems some people curse these dies but reading the instructions and getting an understanding of how they work helps a bunch. That and a dab of grease is all you need. I don't anneal (yet) so using body dies and the collet neck sizer minimizes working the necks.
Posts: 30
Threads: 0
Joined: Jun 2019
AvBailable for pre-order at Brownells, and I could pick one up tomorrow if they had one in stock. Dang it.
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Joined: Sep 2019
got mine today. i was sure it was a a production error. anybody tested it? link to the accurate shooter thread ?