07-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Looking for accuracy. No too worried about speed. What powder yall suggest?
|
Bulk hornady 123gn fmj...powder??
|
|
07-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Looking for accuracy. No too worried about speed. What powder yall suggest?
07-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Ar-comp
07-05-2020, 08:25 PM
8208xbr, AR Comp, Power Pro Varmint
07-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys. AR comp is impossible to find without paying an arm and a leg in fees. 2 local guys cant get it either right now.
I have shot several pounds of CFE223 with 120-123 grain bullets. When Hornady was selling 123 grain A-Max ammo my load duplicated the factory load. I used 31.0 grains CFE223 with CCI450 in Hornady cases with either 123 grain Nosler CC or 123 grain A-Max. The profile of the 123 grain Nosler Custom Competition is similar to the Hornady 123 grain BTHP which is similar to the 123 grain FMJ.
My 31.0 grain CFE223 load with 123 grain A-Max gave the following results on a 70 degree day with a magnetto speed chronograph. 16 J&T Dist. CLGS 2449 FPS 18 Liberty MLGS. 2471 FPS 20 Shilen RLGS. 2526 FPS 24 AA Shaw RLGS 2619
07-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Thanks vascar. I have a bunch of cfe223. I assume you loaded mag length?
07-08-2020, 05:16 PM
I want my reloads to be reliable in several different AR-15s so I seat the bullets to feed from a fully loaded 24 round magazine.
07-09-2020, 12:54 AM
VASCAR2 Wrote:I have shot several pounds of CFE223 with 120-123 grain bullets. When Hornady was selling 123 grain A-Max ammo my load duplicated the factory load. I used 31.0 grains CFE223 with CCI450 in Hornady cases with either 123 grain Nosler CC or 123 grain A-Max. The profile of the 123 grain Nosler Custom Competition is similar to the Hornady 123 grain BTHP which is similar to the 123 grain FMJ. How was the accuracy?
07-09-2020, 02:17 AM
Overall with the 123 grain A-Max I got very similar accuracy and velocity to factory Hornady 123 grain A-Max ammo. My Shilen 20 barrel shot the 31.0 grain CFE223 with CCI450 in either Hornady or Lapua brass using either A-Max or Nosler CC to MOA or better if I did my part. I shot the Nosler CC load at a steel target at 880 yards and went 5 for 5 including cold bore shot. Granted this was at 7200 ASL in Wyoming but still not bad shooting for me.
Here is a picture of the steel plate with impacts.
07-09-2020, 04:49 AM
This is an example of 31.2 grains of CFE under the 123 grain Amax @2.245 out of my 22" Black Hole Weaponry .264 LBC.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16418[/ATTACH]
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
07-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Ive loaded and shot several pounds of CFE223 powder in the 6.5 Grendel and cant complain about the accuracy. I was amazed how little copper fouling was in my Shilen barrel which has digested mostly CFE223 powder. Most of my shooting is between about 95 degrees to around 32 degrees and at the extremes in temperature the less I shoot. Basically the temperature instability of CFE223 hasnt been a problem for me.
Ive got IMR8208XBR and AR Comp powder but havent done any significant testing. I like the velocity produced by the CFE223 and will still buy more CFE223 when I get low. I like how CFE223 pretty much duplicates Hornady factory ammo performance.
07-12-2020, 11:45 PM
As long as I do my part, my rifle is consistently 1inch or less with 29.3 grains A2520 with CCI 450s and 123 gr SST,s
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|