Posts: 53
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2014
06-22-2020, 06:28 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 06:32 PM by JDub.)
I'm brand new to Grendel reloading (and haven't reloaded since before my children were born) although I've been lurking around here for a decade or so.
I just ordered all my Grendel reload supplies and the only thing I've not been able to procure are small rifle primers (other than the 150 Winchester WSRs I have from the 1900s)...until today.
The only place I could find them online was at Cabela's:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-Prim...s?slotId=0
Just wanted to share.
I'm looking at starting with 123 gr. SSTs, 8208xbr, hornady once-fired brass and CCI 450 primers. Using a Rock Chucker with Hornady New Dimension dies.
I dug up all my reloading stuff from the garage and I've got a bunch of moly-coated 168gr. SMKs and A-Maxes I used for my .308
Posts: 435
Threads: 16
Joined: Feb 2019
Alright JDub!!
What I do about primers is to wait for gun shows or visit my local gun shop and buy there. At the gun shop, I will pick up a couple hundred to 500. At the gun shows, I buy 1000 each boxes for pretty cheap. Doing this you avoid the shipping and hazmat charges and some vendors at the shows shrug off the tax as well.
I know this may be a bit harder for you to do in the Republic of Pelosi but it will save you some bucks. Primers and 9mm bullets & ammo are getting real skimpy around here. Some powders associated with 9mm and 5.56/223 are also.
Posts: 53
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2014
06-22-2020, 10:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 06:28 AM by JDub.)
No kidding man, thanks for the support. I was able to buy some 8208xbr at a local shop but it was $35/lb...still cheaper than buying online and paying hazmat. I bought 2000 of the CCI450s and it was $110 shipped...yikes!
The Winchester WSRs I have laying around from the last century have a price tag of $1.59

Also have unopened metal cans of IMR4895 that have a price tag of $15.95. Is reminiscing about the good ol' days a sign of old age?
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
I know the feeling JDub, I loaded some up a couple years ago with primers that were marked 69 cents on the tag from Gibsons. Got those old ones at an estate sale. Still went bang and produced good groups. Primers were a penny a piece when I started reloading.
Posts: 435
Threads: 16
Joined: Feb 2019
I have been using H4895 that is 12 years old. Compared it to a new lot at 100 yards and thery were both spot on! That doesn't happen very often! I'll pay what I feel I need to keep my stock up of primers, bullets and powder. And the demand is driving everything. I just hope the industry can do a resupply BEFORE we get closer to November or we will see these prices through the end of the year and maybe beyond.
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2019
Thanks! Picked up 2000. Wish they had other useful powders or primers as well, that $20 hazmat for 2 boxes of primers is a little painful.
Posts: 138
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2017
If they show oos try Bass Pro, the brother store.
I got some ordered from there. Way to expensive, I use them in my 5.56 loads also. Though not needed, I don't like chasing different primers.
#shareyourspare
Posts: 60
Threads: 17
Joined: Apr 2019
I just bought 2000 cci450 from sportsmans warehouse...for $2.69/hundred.
Posts: 71
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2019
Right now things are a bit weird for getting supplies. I went yesterday to get more 8208 XBR powder and once again nothing available. Needed cci 350 primers for my Beowulf and nothing. IMR 4895 powder? Nope... Guy said that as soon as they get shipments in supplies are gone. 8lbs or even 1lb containers vanish quickly.
Had hopes of doing more Grendel loading and testing. That will have to wait till I can source more powder.
Posts: 62
Threads: 5
Joined: Dec 2017
The 450s worked better for me using AA2520, 8208xbr was a close second too.
Trashy
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Joined: Jun 2020
JDub Wrote:No kidding man, thanks for the support. I was able to buy some 8208xbr at a local shop but it was $35/lb...still cheaper than buying online and paying hazmat. I bought 2000 of the CCI450s and it was $110 shipped...yikes!
The Winchester WSRs I have laying around from the last century have a price tag of $1.59
Also have unopened metal cans of IMR4895 that have a price tag of $15.95. Is reminiscing about the good ol' days a sign of old age?
Ouch... I just picked up a couple thousand CCI 450 today at Scheels for $34. per 1000. They had a bunch of them.
Posts: 53
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2014
07-05-2020, 06:23 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020, 06:26 AM by JDub.)
CMoor Wrote:Ouch... I just picked up a couple thousand CCI 450 today at Scheels for $34. per 1000. They had a bunch of them.
I think the ones I purchased were about $35 per 1000 as well. After shipping, tax and hazmat fee it came to $110...sheesh. I kinda felt lucky just to find them, though. Everywhere local has no primers at all.
Posts: 53
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2014
Trashy Wrote:The 450s worked better for me using AA2520, 8208xbr was a close second too.
Trashy
Ima gonna try AA2520...I got some left over from the 90s
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2020
I picked up a case of federal small rifle like a month ago from midway I think it was. Maybe midsouth. Under 200 shipped for 5k. Picked up powders recently too. Cfe223 from midway last week. No one locally really carries reloading supplies anymore, so online tends to be my best bet.