Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Nosler 100 Accubond on deer?
#1
Greetings,

First allow me to come clean, I use a 458 socom (un-suppressed) and 6.8 spc (suppressed) SBRs on deer & yotes. But I built a Grendel which I have been using on varmints across open field.

Does anyone care about the build? The BBL is a 6R 20" Hardened Arms, import 15" FF HG, milspec upper& lower, RA-140-SST, UTG butt stock and Ergo grip (I think) Nikon P223, something - 12 x 40 something.

I loaded 100 gr Ballistic Tip fronting 28.5 Benchmark, CCI BR4s, brass varies. I get 2800- fps. It is flat shooting, dead nuts accurate (I take whistle pigs laying, even facing, possums, etc.) - it pops them like a rogue grape under a semi-lucid, early-AM, bare foot on the way to the coffee pot. She's a keeper! I know there are tons of alternative bullets and at this stage of this thread, I'd like to keep it to 100 Balistic Tip. My setup loves these. I'm happy as a hog in heat with them - just have zero experience on bigger game.

Any existing field report threads (I stink at the site search)?

Any pics?

Do you get pass troughs and if so, reliably?

(Apologies for being a multi-cal traitor to the horde. And while I'm potentially "triggering" members, It's almose Saban season - RTR and Geaux Tigres (except for "the game.")
The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11
Reply
#2
100 grain accubond? Never knew they nosler mad a 100 grain accubond bullet.
Reply
#3
I only see 130 and 140 grain 6.5mm accubond on nosler's site?

Most here have been using the 129 grain ABLR in the grendel, should be able to find a lot of threads on those.
Reply
#4
BCHunter Wrote:I only see 130 and 140 grain 6.5mm accubond on nosler's site?

Most here have been using the 129 grain ABLR in the grendel, should be able to find a lot of threads on those.

I think he maybe confused and meant 100 grain nosler ballistic tip.

Waiting on reply from OP.
Reply
#5
Yes, old load, old man, old memory -- but! might explain why the search turned up zero.

Same question.
The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11
Reply
#6
Thank you A5 et. al.
The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11
Reply
#7
Grumpy Wrote:Thank you A5 et. al.

Yea should be tons of data for the 100 grain nosler ballistic tip around.
Reply
#8
My cousin has used that almost exact load on a pronghorn, and a mule doe. Both critters ended up in the freezer. I'd say carry on. I do know the deer was pass thru at 40 yards or so. I cannot remember if the pronghorn was. I will look at my notes and find out. I do remember that it was over 200 yards
Yard work is not an excuse!
Reply
#9
Djgrendel Wrote:My cousin has used that almost exact load on a pronghorn, and a mule doe. Both critters ended up in the freezer. I'd say carry on. I do know the deer was pass thru at 40 yards or so. I cannot remember if the pronghorn was. I will look at my notes and find out. I do remember that it was over 200 yards

Thank you Djgrendel, that was exactly the kind of simple and quick feedback what I'm looking for.
The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11
Reply
#10
I have been hunting and target shooting with the 100 nosler bt for years. I have taken whitetails from 100 -210 pounds at ranges of 60 to 320 yds. Last month we used them on axis (up to 190 pounds) deer from 65 to 135 yds. Three dropped in their tracks; one ran 50 yds ( hard quartering away; shot was a bit too far behind the shoulder).

Its a ballistic tip. You aren’t going to get many pass thrus.

The Only reason I may switch to a heavier bullet is if I can find a location that allows me to shoot past 600 yards. Accuracy is great out to 600 but I struggle past that. I have made hits on my 12x13 plate at 685 but I can’t do it every time.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#11
My sons m700 shoots them 1/2 moa out to 500, and we’ve killed everything from opossum to ~195 lb deer. 195 lb buck was shot at 60 yds andit passed through. All except the biggest hogs have been DRT.

ETA: Rammer Jammer and RTR
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Reply
#12
One only has to look at the .243 Winchester to discover that the 100 grain bullet is a very effective game harvester for all but the heaviest deer. Even then, it not all that bad.

The 100 ballistic tip velocity out of the Grendel is within the reliable expansion envelope from the muzzle out to ranges most hunters would consider ethical.

Go for it!

PS Here is a more technical discussion describing the bullet design, weight and velocity on reliable game anchoring: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight/
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#13
So I found my notes about my cousins pronghorn. Shot was 300 yards. +/-10 yards. Shot entered on the point of the shoulder and exited the ribs on opposite side about 6" behind the shoulder.
Yard work is not an excuse!
Reply
#14
For the deer in S Florida a 100g bullet could work.Deer here are around 90-125 lbs average.I still wouldn’t go lower than my 125g TNT w/my 300 BO.
Haven’t hunted w/6.5 Grendel yet,But,I’d go heavier than 100g w/deer.
Reply
#15
FLshooter Wrote:For the deer in S Florida a 100g bullet could work.Deer here are around 90-125 lbs average.I still wouldn’t go lower than my 125g TNT w/my 300 BO.
Haven’t hunted w/6.5 Grendel yet,But,I’d go heavier than 100g w/deer.
There’s a whole lot of folks who would argue for 100 grain bullets for the deer sizes mentioned. They would be right in the sense that there is not much gained in lethality in this size animal by going with heavier bullets.

Now, the 125 grain is not bad for 300 lb animals as long as one stays within the range where the bullet has enough velocity to expand correctly and the shooter takes normal care on shot placement.
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#16
Definitely need to maintain the impact velocity required by the particular bullets. I wouldn't use a 300 blackout. I have not used the 6.5 on anything larger than a coyote.
The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)