Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Shooting Mats
#21
Updating this thread.

Today I ordered the crosstac mat. Midway finally had it in stock for $142 no shipping.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#22
Years ago, I found a 6x6' heavy canvas tarp at an Army surplus store. I bought 3 and like an idiot, gave two away to shooting buddies. It isn't padded, but is treated and blocks moisture and I can spread it out to hold my gear while shooting. It folks up nicely and just rides on the seat of my truck. I actually use it for a variety of things, but I bought it as a shooting mat.

This would be something similar, treated as well...
https://www.tarpsupply.com/canvas-tarp-21oz-6x6.html
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#23
This is the one I've used for the past 8 years. I have two in case one gets wet or muddy (usually both at the same time), and I use the spare until the other one dry's out.

https://www.voodootactical.net/voodoo-ta...g-mat.html
Reply
#24
Kswhitetails Wrote:I bought the Midway mat when it was on sale for $40 bucks, cost another 13 to ship it. Don't think it was a bad deal, it's padded, water resistant, and camo. Whats not to like? I'ts a fan-fold, so it is more bulky than some. I don't mind, its like carrying a briefcase to work when I get to the range. I prefer shooting prone from it than off a bench, and I find that to work out better in the field as well.

I'm not sure it matters, but the padding is nice. Especially in gravel or on a concrete firing line.

I also picked a couple of these up and have been very happy with them.
Reply
#25
Zeus Wrote:I have 3 of these. Got them on sale though a little cheaper......but still a good entry level shooting mat. I even use one to change the oil in my cars.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/276544...olive-drab

[Image: 276544a1.webp]

That's the same mat I use to shoot NRA High Power matches 2 or 3 times each month. It's going strong into it's 3rd season. That $39.99 sale price is really good. I think I paid the same when it went on sale before. Likes;

1. The bottom has a rubberized coating that protects it from dew and wet grass.
2. The top has a rubberized coating around the chest and elbow area. It does a great job to keep your elbows from sliding.
3. It's wider than what most competitors seem to use, so you have more real estate to make use of.
4. It rolls and unrolls quickly, and has a nice shoulder strap that I sling over the back of my shooting cart.
5. This is a really minor like, but it has a length of open webbing along the top of the mat. That's a handy spot to jam your sighter rounds in prone if you're not laying too far back on the mat.
Reply
#26
I have been using the Midway USA mats for years. I still have and use a coupon of the original regular mats but now have a "pro" model which is larger and has thicker padding.
Reply
#27
I took mine on a recent hunting trip to Comfort Texas hoping to get a chance to use it. After seeing my buddy get attacked by red bugs/chiggers, while sitting in a chair nestled up in some cedars. I decided not to lay on the ground on my matt.

Yes I wimped out Smile
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#28
Why don’t you spray the mat with insect repellent or the bottom with insecticide?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Reply
#29
NugginFutz Wrote:Why don’t you spray the mat with insect repellent or the bottom with insecticide?

My buddy was miserable and I was not going to take a chance. Plus there were plenty of box blinds
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#30
I got a redneck covenant shooting pad on Amazon last year for around $32. It’s got 1/2” foam in it and it works just as well as any.
I used to use a painter’s canvas before I got it.I see guys use tarps.Really,any shooting mat will do.
Reply
#31
I use the mid level roll up mat from midway. It works great and is light weight and easily carried into the field. Works great for my purposes.
Reply
#32
I found something interesting a few days ago, The wife and i were on the way home from my home dialysis class and she saw a yard sale and wanted to check it out, I was just wandering around and i saw this at the back with a $25 price tag on it, I asked the couple if they could tell me about it (i did not open it up) and they thought it was a work out mat, He let it slip that they would go to estate sales and buy boxes of stuff and re-sell it. I offered them $20 and took it home. I knew what it was as a few years back there was some one selling them on another forum and by the time i became interested in buying one they were all sold and since then i have kept an eye out for one it is a UMAT SNIPER MAT BY YAMIT - Manufactured in Israel. It did not look as it had been used and the only marks on it looked like storage marks that cleaned up very easy. As soon as i have finished my classes and my health is better i will be off to the range to try it out, As i had it out to clean and take a few pics i did get down and see how i felt on it and it is comfortable, It is easy to load with that front trough and is easy to adjust the butt stock support and move it left and right and up and down.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                       
   
Reply
#33
Nice score Brian!
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)