Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Companies I've been Impressed with Lately
#1
As the market evolves, I've had a chance to work with some newer company and AR15 products that have impressed me so far.

This is unsolicited, completely organic on my part, so I can pass on what I've seen and compare notes with others who have used these.

* 2A Armament: On Black Rifle Friday, I couldn't pass up some deals on 2A receiver sets with handguards, so I got 2 sets. The machining, design, and overall fit/feel of these are exceptional if you're looking for a low profile, lightweight AR15, without sacrificing strength in critical areas. Their magazine wells are probably the most generously funneled as well, and their Titanium parts are a nice touch to cutting weight while increasing strength when looking at barrel nuts and receiver pins. I'll have pics up once I'm done with them, but one is an all FDE Cerakote option they had.

* Bootleg Adjustable BCGs: I've been very pleased with the Bootleg ABC, to the extent that I think I'll make these my default bolt carrier moving forward, and will probably retrofit some of my other rifles with them, starting with any 18" MLGS Grendels like my Lilja 17.6" Wasp barrel rifle. The ability to adjust the gas through the ejection port with a small flat head driver is just hassle-free, unlike regular gas blocks. Cuts down on spending critical time at the range dialing in a rifle, especially when suppressed. This is a great evolution of the AR15 bolt carrier that doesn't focus on shiny coatings or aesthetic distractions, while addressing a very real problem for excess plug dwell and suppressed rifles when taming the cyclic rate.

* LaRue Tactical: The LaRue Tactical MBT-2S came out of nowhere and is now my go-to trigger. They simply can't be beat for the money, and behave like a Geissele SSA or SSA-E. The Ultimate Upper kits are the AR15 DIY kit deal to beat right now since you get all-billet construction with a solid lock-up handguard-to-receiver fit, with all parts to complete a rifle but the stripped lower, including color options for receiver/handguard/furniture, all for $792. The RAT Stock and APEG grip are top notch products as well, if you were thinking about replacing them like I was before I handled them. I ended up getting another FDE RAT stock for my Lilja 17.6" Grendel.


* Maxim PDW braces: I saw ads for these guys before stopping by their booth at SHOT, and got several of their braces after seeing the quality of the product. The short RET, extra power action spring, and tiny buffer worked better than expected in my 12" pistol build. It cycles like a raped ape, very positive with the feeding cycle going into battery, very well behaved dealing with the rearward stroke of the cycle of operations as well. If you want the most compactness in a PDW pistol or SBR build (they have both), without needing to use a proprietary Bolt Carrier or lower receiver, I think these are the ones to beat.

[Image: 20180717_171119_zpso3rzxhqd.jpg]

* SB Tactical: SB Tactical braces have been well-machined as well, with a standard carbine-length RET. I recently got one of the new SBA3 braces that works on a standard carbine RET, in FDE.

[Image: XSBTX.jpg]


* Strike Industries: I like their polymer easy-install ejection port door, their charge handle, magazine release button and catch, and receiver pivot and takedown pins. I ordered all of these in FDE for my latest FDE build. I could see myself making the ejection port door my go-to option. The anodized lightweight pins and buttons are great options for a lightweight build, or one where you want specific colors to match or contrast, while getting well-machined parts from a known source.

[Image: strike-industries-ultra-light-pivot-take...1532834128]

[Image: dsc_0356_4.jpg]

I'll update my experiences and invite others to share their feedback as well. I'm especially interested in those with experience with the Strike Industries pins and ejection port doors.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#2
LRRPF52,
This is very helpful for those of us that don't have the experience that you do.
Thank you for taking the time to review these vendors and their products.
Reply
#3
And you sir just showed me my next upgrade an adjustable BCG. Slick!! Never noticed them and had seen the 2A Armament unit. I like the Bootleg unit also.
Reply
#4
Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks. Love the bleed off and their design does not get carbon fouled.

+1 Strike Industries...

+10 LaRue Tactical. All your fault I'm into a UUGrrr!

Geissele, wait for the Black Friday sales. BSH stuff...

V Seven Weapon Systems. Really really well done engineering. Catch the sales...

Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage/VG6, ToolCraft and PSA. My gotos for $ sensitive builds.

Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co. Outstanding barrels for the price under their own name and the current manufacturer of BFT's group-buy barrels. Cannot go wrong with them.

GG&G accessories. Did I mention their bipods? Really well designed alternatives to Atlas, plus other cool shite...

Spuhr mounts for worthy glass. When I hit the PowerBall...
DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...
Reply
#5
Just got the BootLeg A.B.C.

I have the Gemtech on an AR15 SPR with a reflex suppressor. Works well.

Have you used both side by side?
Reply
#6
Guys,

Have been looking at the Bootleg AGB. Of the four settings what is typical for unsupressed and what is for suppressed? Is there enough range with four settings to accommodate both?

Reason I ask is that a while back I used an Adams Arms adjustable piston. It has only two usable settings; 100%-open and 50%-open. The working setting for unsupressed was 50% open so there was no option to restrict it further. Putting a can on it was always going to be over-gassed. They've upgraded their system since with more settings but I use a Sentry 7 with 14 settings and that works with both Supp and Unsup.
Reply
#7
The 4 positions on the Bootleg certainly don't have the fine-tuning like a FAL, but my brass seems to come out clean on fully suppressed (#4) and without any signs of light ejector channel shadow compared to the fully open setting (#1), and that's with Federal brass.

Christ Bartocci did a review of several adjustable gas carriers, including the Gemtech, Bootleg, and RCA.

I've used RCA adjustable keys and the Bootleg now, and will be using Bootleg for the foreseeable future.

Skip to 24:30 for the adjustable carriers:

[video=youtube_share;HZkK70Miz60]https://youtu.be/HZkK70Miz60[/video]

My main question with them is what will happen with carbon fouling accumulation in the choke area over time, so a 1000rd count check-up should really tell me more than where I'm at now with several hundred rounds.

You can always open it up to the unrestricted setting though, so it effectively has the ability to behave like a standard carrier then anyway.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#8
This sight needs a like button. Great post LRRPF.

Can I add a thought about BCM components? I know they're nothing new to this kind of thread, but everything I've used since I started building ARs that I've gotten from them has been impressive.

And +10 on the LaRue thoughts. If you're building an AR and don't buy an UU, then it's your own fault.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#9
Thanks for the insights!!!!!
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#10
I have to disagree about BCM. I purchased a blemished upper recently and it was no good. Poorly cut M4 feed ramps. No dry film lube on the inside. Plus the several 4" long scuffs worn through the hard coat anodizing and a 1/8" triangle of material the never got machined away just above the forward assist. I probably won't even use it and will just purchase a good upper.

This BCM upper makes my Anderson lower look like a Ferrari.
Reply
#11
You bought a blem upper, and complain about it being a blem. Okay.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#12
I understand about the scratches and scuffs and the poor machine work on the outside of the upper that doesn't effect function. This is all stated in their description.

There is no excuse for the poorly cut feed ramps or complete lack of dry film lube on the interior, these items are not specified. In fact both of the later issues are listed as features in the description.

I read many good posts about the blemished uppers from BCM stating they were great. I'm not trying to complain. I only want to share my experience with others so they may make a more informed decision than I did. I believe everyone has the right to share their experiences good or bad. I'm glad you have had good feelings with BCM. I'm currently working with them to rectify my issues, hopefully my experience turns out well also.
Reply
#13
Some of my main go-to work carbines for courses are BCM uppers/barrels/BCGs/Charge Handles/KMR Handguards.

I lost track of how many BCM component uppers and KMR handguard builds I've done for people.

BCM really made much of the industry realize how so many other companies were failing to even take the TDP into consideration, especially as contractors, LEOs, and civilians were shooting their AR15s in high volume and seeing all types of failures with Bushmasters, DPMS, Rock River Arms, and other imitation parts guns that just didn't pay attention to many of the critical details that make a TDP gun what it is.

I certainly wouldn't base an opinion on BCM based off of a single blemished receiver sample. I've been using BCM parts ever since they came out, and they are in a unique class really in this industry.

ETA: I just saw that in your other thread, you mention both BCA and BCM. If it's a BCA, everything make sense.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#14
It is a BCM. I'm still hoping they will get back to me to correct the issue. I would prefer to use the BCM upper receiver because all my research echos the same quality you explain above.
Reply
#15
My understanding is that the BLEM uppers and parts sold are a reflection of the condition of the parts, not the company who chooses to sell functionable - albeit potentially under the standard normally associated with that company - parts at a steep discount in order to free up space or allow builders to assemble units at lower costs.

Don't get me wrong here Jakeg, I was't trying to bash you personally. However, that said it just seems a bit hollow to disagree with the above sentiments about Bravo based on the purchase of a single part they told you up front would be lesser quality at a lesser price.

Want to sell your blem? :p
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#16
One thing I have found is that using the Strike Industries polymer ejection port cover in combination with the Bootleg Carrier requires fitting.

The plunger housing on the port door is larger than normal, so I shaved it down to allow the port door to stay closed, otherwise it wouldn't.

Didn't have to remove a lot of material on the SI door, and everything works now as it should.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#17
SLR: Excellent adjustable gas blocks and precise rails. A set of receivers is on my horizon.
Geiselle: Their charging handle and the bolt releases that are shaped like little limp cocks work great. I have a rail from them but haven't installed it.
Battle Arms Development: Great safeties.
V7: Titanium pins FTW!
ARgold: The best triggers period! They are responsive to feedback too.
Badger Ordnance: AR scope mounts that come in heights less than 1.5".

I have three Larue triggers, none are in precisions rigs anymore.
Reply
#18
I have a 2a armament upper reciever. It was well worth the price.

I also had a great experience with mark from precision firearms. Called him first week of November and received my kreiger 12.5" barrel second week of December.

I also had a great experience with smoke composites. I love their stock. Very comfortable and great customer service.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)