Howa Mini lightest stock
#21
Msalm Wrote:Very true, I'm not too tore about on that plastic bottom metal...it works.

Lol, the bottom of a Howa mini action is like this:

Disgusting. Gross. Sloppy. Lazy. Walmart. Waste of space. Eye sore. I’ll handling. Disaster. Nightmare. Total wreck. Insulting. Sub-Par. Done wrong the first time. A joke. And more.

And by the number of posts about it on this forum definitely confirm the above...this goes for the stock also.

Why humans feel the need to make sub-par junk for other humans is beyond my comprehension. Do it right the first time. If you’re going to do something...do it right! Wtf were they thinking?

Hopefully I’m being clear on this. Wink

Better yet, hopefully someone with some pull at Howa gets the message. Why ruin a great action, barrel and trigger by surrounding it with diarrhea?

This is the opposite of putting lipstick on a pig. They’ve take a gem and stuffed it into a pig. Yes, I lump the stock with the bottom metal, same same garbage, perfect for each other. Just landfill material.

Why?...The eighth wonder of the world if you ask me.

Should I go on?
Reply
#22
Howa will not fix any of these problems as long as the guns are selling. These problems have been told to Howa since this gun came out and they have done nothing, I think that they do not listen to their customers. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply
#23
I’ve emailed Howa twice about an Alpine type stock and BDL or ADL bottom metal. I was told they have no plans for the stock or bottom metal.


It’s a shame.
Reply
#24
Oh they can watch the aftermarket take care of and capitalize on their shortcomings all they like. Missed opportunity on their part. They could tier models from this below savage axis level well on up to kimber Montana level stainless and they’d sell well...their choice. I spend lots of money in this, they could have gotten a lot more of it than they did. Instead, just like most of us, we are spending it everywhere else lol.
Reply
#25
I've been emailing MPI about a kimber styled stock for this in their lightest fill. They told me they can make one for it (inletted 75%) but you need to file your own notch for the bolt handle and drill the holes for the action screws

the weight for the blank stock (no sling swivels or recoil pad) will probably be 14-15oz. which means it would be about 1lb lighter than the factory stock. it would bring the 22" sporter barrelled version down to about 5lb for the bare rifle - thats pretty good in my opinion!

I'll most likely order one and see how it goes. I would make a nice lightweight 400m deer rifle
Reply
#26
I’d go down that route if there was bottom metal to begin with...McMillan would be my choice though. Stainless steel and aluminum would be best though. End of day I think converting a sako xs would be the right way to get a real nice proper rifle in 6.5g. Fingers crossed someday all bolt actions running .223 length actions automatically chamber the Grendel. Please god...make this happen.
Reply
#27
stumpjumper3d Wrote:Howa will not fix any of these problems as long as the guns are selling. These problems have been told to Howa since this gun came out and they have done nothing, I think that they do not listen to their customers. Just my 2 cents worth.

This is exactly right. Ruger came out with the 10/22 in 1964 and sold low priced plain jane rifles for 40+ years while the aftermarket cashed in with stocks, barrels, triggers etc.
Reply
#28
If Weatherby would only build a Vanguard Mini with metal hardware. I saw where Howa only builds Barreled actions. The distributor supplies the stock and hardware. That would explain a lot.
Reply
#29
Weatherby...you listening? Let’s go aftermarket, other manufacturers, Weatherby etc. Howa has done a good job with metal work, from the trigger and recoil lug north lol. Let the aftermarket do the rest I guess. If legacy is who’s stocking these things then shame on them...it’s crap.
Reply
#30
Stinky Coyote Wrote:You can get 3 oz out of action by having smith slab it, flute bolt, hollow bolt handle(1.5 oz from action and 1.5 from bolt). I’ve done this as well on one of my projects. Post when your done. I have Instagram with my Grendels at 6.5 Grendel_pew_pew if you want to see 3 of mine. I’ll build a mountain version off my 20” #1 contour just as I mentioned. I’ll skip the carbon butt stock and just have a custom aluminum one made by my smith with oversized knurled castle nut to take it on/off to stuff in the pack. 30” overall length and likely 6.25 lbs all up when done.

What was the weight of the action alone after you had it worked on?
Reply
#31
MPH Wrote:What was the weight of the action alone after you had it worked on?

20 oz
Reply
#32
Nuthead, I had a lightweight stock made for my 20 inch lightweight Grendel. After rings, aluminum bottom metal and scope I am sitting at 5 lbs 9 oz. it’s a handy little rifle for sure.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)