Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2016
New to this forum. Looking to build a 6.5 grendel. Will be shooting no more than 600 yards. Mostly targets but would like to hunt will it too. Any recommendations of where to buy barrels and bolts. Also 16" 18" or 20" barrel. I dont reload so ammo advise.
All the help and advise will be appreciated.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Welcome sir.
As for barrels and bolts the top shelf company's are PF, AA, and JP.
Hornady factory ammo and ammo loaded by PF, are the best loads you will find for target and hunting in a factory round.
As far as barrel length that is more of a personal thing I'm thinking, I have a 18 inch barreled rifle and I'm good to 600, if I had to do it over I would still go 18 inch.
Hope this Iinfo helps sir.
Oh buy sammi spec chamber with a matched headspace .136 bolt, build , tune and enjoy.
Posts: 255
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2016
I'm interested as well. I stumbled on here from another site and am looking to start a 6.5G in AR as well to test my long range abilities and do some hunting as well. I hope it's ok to ride the coat tails of the OP thread instead of starting a new one.
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
It's a glorious time to be part of the Horde, as the Grendel ans components are growing daily. AA and PF are top shelf, as well as shilen, saturn, and recently Odin works. There are some group buys with Faxon barrels as well at a great price that peeps are having great luck with.
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
Barrels:
Precision Firearms, Lilja, JP, Proof, AA, Les Bear, Faxon I recommend them in that order.
If you're interested in a 12.5" or 11.5" barrel I know where you can get a great Barrel, BCG, and more and have it delivered within a week. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ox-Special
Ammunition:
Hornady, Precision Firearms, AA, Federal, Wolf. Wolf steelcase is being sold for insanely cheap this weekend.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 255
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2016
That's great feedback. I'm personally thinking budget friendly as possible barrel bolt and buffer to put one together. I'd like to stay with an 18" barrel. Is there a rifle gas 18" or are they mid length. I'm trying to achieve a DMR or as close as I can get or shoot. Any help with buffer weight would help too. I've seen some with JP silent capture anyone else use it. I will run this occasionally with a can too so is an adjustable gas block necessary. Thanks
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
I use the JP SCS in my 18" Lilja 318 Grendel. I think it's the most costly recoil system on the market, but I like it.
18" MLGS suppressed is not very ideal, unless you use a short .30 cal can and buffer heavily, with adjustable gas.
18" RLGS makes more sense for suppressed use.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
txlawdog207 Wrote:New to this forum. Looking to build a 6.5 grendel. Will be shooting no more than 600 yards. Mostly targets but would like to hunt will it too. Any recommendations of where to buy barrels and bolts. Also 16" 18" or 20" barrel. I dont reload so ammo advise.
All the help and advise will be appreciated.
Welcome aboard. One of the AA complete uppers will be your best bet, or the AA 16" fluted light barrel with AA bolt, with mostly Wolf Steel Case for practice, and Hornady AMAX or SST for hunting and farther target shooting.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 255
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2016
I'll keep looking for the 18" RLGS and bolt for now. I guess a standard 5oz rifle buffer will get me started. The JP SC is prolly gonna end up on the later list. If you plink the steel case ammo is there a need for an enhanced firing pin?
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Red Dawn Wrote:I'll keep looking for the 18" RLGS and bolt for now. I guess a standard 5oz rifle buffer will get me started. The JP SC is prolly gonna end up on the later list. If you plink the steel case ammo is there a need for an enhanced firing pin?
No need for enhanced firing pins. 6.5 Grendel bolts and ammo have all been engineered together. Bill Alexander spent 7 years going back and forth with an intermediary for the Russians to make sure the steel case was exactly right.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2016
Thanks for all the good information. I just came across a 6.5 grendel wolf upper 16". Anyone have any experience with it. Looks good for a budget upper.
Posts: 3
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2016
Also looks like I am going with the Odin 18" barrel
Posts: 353
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2016
The folks at Odinworks.com will also have a good product and they now have sammi spec chambers per the website.
Queen of Battle
Follow Me
Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
Posts: 769
Threads: 141
Joined: Apr 2011
We use the Intermediate Gas System on 18 in barrels. We found it to be the best in terms of cycling.
"Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
|