Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
I have purchased the Black Hole Grendel barrel as shown below. I am not sure what the 264 LBC means. I still need a BCG and I see that some are Type 2, not sure what that means either. Can someone recommend the proper BCG for my barrel?......Thanks
Caliber: 6.5 Grendel Type 1 (264 LBC)
Barrel Length: 20" H-Bar (Standard Profile)
Gas System: Rifle-Length
Barrel Material: 416 Stainless Steel
Rifling: 1:8 Polygonal 3 groove
M4 feed ramps
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Looks like you need a Type 1 aka 7.62x39 bolt. Wouldn't be a bad idea to contact Black Hole and confirm.
Posts: 18
Threads: 1
Joined: Oct 2014
01-21-2017, 06:18 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2017, 06:20 AM by BR17722.)
[I am not sure what the 264 LBC means.]
LBC is Les Baer Cartridge. Baer stopped using the compound throat and used a "normal" throat for his chamber with his 1/2 minute or 1/2 inch guarantee. The cartridge is the same as the 6.5 Grendel and I think Black Hills Ammunition has the 264 LBC headstamp. I'm sure other members could be more specific. j_b gave you good advice on the bolt.
Tom
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
The 264 LBC is a Les Baer Custom variation of the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel. Essentially, Les Baer tightened the throat to .296" from the Grendel .300", and went to a straight taper throat instead of the Grendel's signature compound throat.
BHW has been cutting their chambers with the "Type I" headspace for a few years now. This requires only a different bolt with a face depth of .125", instead of the standard .136" of the Grendel/Beowulf bolt. The Bolt Carrier is unchanged, as are any other upper receiver components.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post76551
While BHW doesn't offer bolts directly, you can get them from a wide variety of sources, including one of their trade partners, Tactical Ammunition.
http://www.tacticalammunition.com/264-LB...egoryId=-1
Good luck with your build.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
Thanks everyone for the answers, it is clearer now, I need a type 1. It sounds like type 1 is interchangeable between the 7.62x39 and the Grendel LBC? I already have a AR that is 7.62x39 with a RedX BCG. Does that mean in a pinch it would be usable in my LBC Grendel?
As far as ammo goes, does all 6.5 Grendel ammo work in both variants of the Grendel despite the different chambers?
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Your current 7.62x39 bolt should work in a pinch. I'd check it with go / no go gauges to be sure though. All spec 6.5 Grendel ammo should be fine in either a SAMMI Grendel or .264 LBC spec chambered rifle.
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
One more question. I think I will purchase another set of Head Space gages for this build, do the two types of chambers use the same gage? It doesn't look like Forster has the 6.5 Grendel but Pacific Gage has all three described as "6.5 Grendel", will these gages also work for the LBC?
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Headspace gages don't give a crap about what kind of throat is cut into the chamber, whether it be SAAMI spec, Grendel II, Grendel I, 264 LBC AR, or 6.5/264 whatever. Headspace gages only check the dimensions between bolt face and the shoulder angle of the cartridge case. The barrel itself could have a .17 caliber bore or .50 caliber bore, and the headspace gages won't know the difference.
Any vendors that sell a barrel/barrel extension/bolt combination need to be sure that their combination will accept a SAAMI 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Headspace gages simply confirm that the chamber will accept a SAAMI cartridge case, without taking into account the bullet and resulting COAL that is loaded in that case.
Posts: 70
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
The 7.62x39 bolt carrier group that Surplus Arms and Ammo sells to go with Black hole type 1 barrels works well, and the price is right. If you want the best you can buy, look up Cryptic Coatings, 7.62x39 Cryptic black BCG. Ive used both, and the Cryptic is awe inspiring.