MagPul?
#1
I'm new to the Grendel world but haven't found a magazine that I like. Would it be possible to use a MagPul .223 mag and replace the follower with a 6.5 one?
Reply
#2
You can usually run 5-6 rounds in a pmag at 2.25-2.26. Any more and the sides bulge out, preventing it from fitting the mag well.

Richard
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Reply
#3
When I tried using a PMAG, even with a few rounds, I experienced the first ever Failure to Feed malfs with 6.5 Grendel, after years of trouble-free function with CProducts mags.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#4
The follower is only half the picture. The mag lips are also different.
Reply
#5
lawndartmike Wrote:The follower is only half the picture. The mag lips are also different.

Yup, and their length, angle, thickness, internal width of the mag....
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#6
Stick five rounds in one and try it. No loss there. I've used my pmag several times with five rounds, no malfs.

Richard
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Reply
#7
i use a 10 round pmag and load 3 when I'm plinking as its a little easier on the brass if you want to see why you can't load many before they bind load sole into a clear lancer mag so you can see how not well they stack up, for hunting or anything where a misfeed may cost me anything more than a hassle on the bench i use tested steel mags
Punctuation is for the weak....
Reply
#8
I'm thinking someone with known skills could influence Magpul to make a magazine specific to the 7.62x39 & 6.5 Grendel cartridge.

Worth a try ?
Reply
#9
762n40 Wrote:I'm thinking someone with known skills could influence Magpul to make a magazine specific to the 7.62x39 & 6.5 Grendel cartridge.

Worth a try ?
I did email Magul the other day and asked if they had any plans on making a 6.5 Grendel mag. No response yet. Maybe if we all flooded their email with the request???
Reply
#10
762n40 Wrote:I'm thinking someone with known skills could influence Magpul to make a magazine specific to the 7.62x39 & 6.5 Grendel cartridge.

Worth a try ?

Polymer thickness prevents them from making double stack feasible in the AR15 receiver.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#11
Well I did get an email back
Thank you for your inquiry. At this time we do not have plans to offer an AR15/M16 compatible PMAG for larger calibers such as the 6.8x43 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39. The primary reason for this is due to the limited physical space inside of the standard M16 magazine well. In order to accommodate the increased case diameter of these cartridges, and the subsequent widening of the staggered cartridge stack, the walls of the magazine body would have to be dramatically thinned. This is not conducive to a robust polymer magazine design. Additionally, we recommend against using these larger cartridges in the PMAG as they will generally not load or feed correctly. 

Not the news I was hoping for but still I've got to be impressed that they took the time to answer my question, and I've got to respect a company that wont make a product to make a few buck if the product won't meet their standards.
Reply
#12
I have shot approx 100 rds through a 10rd PMAG with ZERO problems
Reply
#13
Why doesn't Lancer make one they use a metal reinforced magazine to my way of thinking it it shouldn't be too difficult to make the change to the feed lips and the deeper channel down the side (don't know the technical name for it ) but Lancer might be a better one to try to get them to make it
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)