Mag Issue...
#1
(Pre-cursor... I have 2 mags now on order... an AR Stoner and a C-Products)

I have an E-Lander 10-round mag that is currently the only Grendel Mag I have.

I took my newest build out Sunday for function test and the mag doesn't seem to like the mag well. It is VERY tight (like the mag is too big). It is extremely tough to get the mag to seat with the bolt locked back and near impossible to seat the mag with the bolt forward.

I tested the mag well with other 5.56 mags for fitment and they slid right in as normal.

I'm guessing that this particular mag is just out of spec as it doesn't seem to like any of the mag wells in my other AR(s) either and I'll be sending it back to AA for a replacement. But, just for the sake of asking; has anyone else experienced this with the ELanders?

Also, is it possible to swap out the follower into a standard AR mag?
Reply
#2
From what I have read the elander mags get good reviews, dont remember if I have heard any issues with them at all.

I use the ASC mags and Cproducts defense mags and have not had any malfuctions (knock on wood) lol.

As far as changing the follower to a 5.56 mag that wont work due to the design of the mag itself, others will be along shortly to give more advice, hope the info helps sir.
Reply
#3
The only issue I've encountered with the E-Lander mags are the springs are very stiff when new. I loaded my E-Lander mags and let them set loaded a few weeks. My E-Lander mags now are very smooth and reliable. If I were betting I'd say your lower mag well is on the minimum side of spec and the mag is on the large side of spec or out of spec.

With new E-Lander mags it is very difficult to seat a mag with the bolt forward and the mag loaded to full capacity. Hopefully the replacement mag from AA will fit your lower.

The ribs on 6.5 Grendel mags have different depth and locations than 5.56/223 so the followers are not interchangeable. It as been posted you can load a few 6.5 Grendel rounds in 5.56/223 mag and they will function if you have no 6.5 Grendel mags available. Loading more than 4 or 5 rounds into a 5.56/223 mag causes 6.5 Grendel cartridges to fail to stack correctly because the difference in the ribs. I personally have never tried using 5.56/223 mags as I have always had access to 6.5 Grendel mags.
Reply
#4
Thanks VASCAR, we'll try these other mags I ordered and I'll get a swap out on the E-Lander. I was very surprised given the reputation here and elsewhere of E-Lander.

I tested the E-Lander mag in a couple of my other 15s and sure enough it is tight so I am guessing the welds just expanded just a bit to throw it out of spec. No big deal, I'll just get a replacement and I've got a couple months to play before hunting season and I have other tools to use in the meantime if need be.

Just want a reliable system as we have some good prospects this year!

[Image: 13603236_1199196946780571_4894342438534271875_o.jpg]
[Image: 13568893_1199196953447237_2156163030877779197_o.jpg]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)