Posts: 690
Threads: 70
Joined: Apr 2015
Custom,
My brother lives in north central Walton County. I don't know if anyone near him carries anything Grendel.
I'm still stuck up here in the Empire of NY. There is a small, hole-in-the-wall LGS about 20 miles from me that stocks ammo (SST's @ $25/20 and Wolf Gold MPT @ around $15/20) and has an AA 20'' Entry upper w/ millennium comp that looks like it has been there a long time. Waiting to get cash to see if he'll talk on the price. He wants 799.
Posts: 136
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2015
I am blessed here in north GA. My favorite LGS always seems to have Hornady 6.5G AMAX and SST on the shelf - a couple of boxes each. I have seen 6.5G Hornady at Academy in GA also. I buy most of my ammo online from AIM, PSA, and SGAMMO myself.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Because it satisfies a very narrow niche in calibres, platforms and uses. Plus it is relatively new.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Who here is still buying ammo off the shelves at LGS's? I certainly haven't in a long, long time. Only exception to that is the recent trip I made for some cases of 12 GA for my Scout Troop solely for our Shooting Camp Out we did in September, and I got it for a competitive price to the ammoseek listings, so I didn't need to order it.
For everything else, including 5.56 and 9mm, I just order online by the case. I'd be losing hundreds of dollars if I bought over the counter. Same for components. Mail order from one of the reputable vendors.
The local Wal Marts rarely have anyone who will even show up to the gun counter to pull ammo from the locked cases the last two times I stopped by when I was looking at 12 GA. Thankfully, it's on the shelves in the open.
We were just shooting 7.62 NATO from the SCAR-17 next to 6.5 Grendel yesterday in one of my courses, and the muzzle blast of the 7.62 NATO is very intimidating for new shooters, even if you have plenty of recoil compensation devices to soften the impact to someone's shoulder. With the Grendel, the muzzle blast is much more pleasant. This is something that often gets overlooked until you shoot it next to other cartridges.
With at least 34 factory loads, including major ammunition manufacturers like Hornady, PPU, and importers like Wolf, it's only going to grow more, especially as new shooters find a pleasant handling AR15 with the ability to take big game, as well as hitting steel targets with results comparable to .308 Win.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 690
Threads: 70
Joined: Apr 2015
Unfortunately, some of us, for the time being, are trapped behind enemy lines and live in places where we cannot order ammo on line. In NY, I can order it if I can find an FFL that is also registered as a dealer in ammunition willing to accept it, and an online vendor that will send it to them after the appropriate paperwork. The unknown is how much the FFL will charge to be the middle man. Most around my area are getting $30-$35 to do a firearm transfer.
Posts: 316
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2014
Why cant new York and California hurry up and fall into the ocean with all the democrats and have all land on Hillary Clinton at the bottom of the ocean
Posts: 255
Threads: 19
Joined: Sep 2015
an old cold war warrior like myself never thought communist would be in DC much less the white house itself.
nor did i ever expect to see a rainbow USA flag flying over DC either---
folks stocking up on the standard caliber rounds has delayed conversion to any new round .
just having ammo is a big deal today and who knows what were going to see from this lame duck and his communist islamic hordes in the next few months.
"normal" america is gone and replaced with a "hip new politically correct " version. i want the OLD USA back!!!
Posts: 316
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2014
Me also and get rid of the potheads too
Posts: 1,613
Threads: 24
Joined: Sep 2014
Returning to the OP, it seems that most of our responses fall into the "glass half empty" category, mine included.
The good news is that the Grendel enjoys a modest and growing popularity.
We see more good news in the growth rate. While modest, Grendel popularity continues to grow!
Posts: 189
Threads: 11
Joined: Sep 2014
Want to see it grow, everytime you are at a range shooting and people ask what it is, sit them behind your rifle and let em send a few down range at small targets. SPECIALLY if they have kids/wives/friends of smaller stature. The accuracy and mellow recoil will sell the round real quick like.
Everytime I have done that the person has stepped back after a few rounds with a big smile and started grilling me for parts source, pricing, etc. Works really good if they hit steel, the 123grn hit nice and hard, so they get the recoil of a 223 but hits like the larger caliber it is.. CLANG
Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
Anderson Pistol lower:
16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS
Posts: 538
Threads: 186
Joined: Aug 2015
Folks,
I have been fortunate to be able to have had the AR15/AR10 in various calibers. .308, .223/5.56, and WAS really big into the 6.5x55. BUT, when I heard the attributes of the Grendel I dumped everything. The BC of the 6.5 was not lost on me, but to have something in the 6.5/AR15 was the winning ticket.
I has 3 rifles at one point in 6.5x55, a Howa, a Savage target rifle built on a 111 receiver. The other was Tikka T3 Sporter. All great rifles, I had to look at my shooting habits. What is my primary mode of shooting? I like to hunt and do some target shooting.
I sold all of my 6.5x55 rifles, parted out my 2 AR15 .223 rifles and concentrated on the 6.5 Grendel. As we speak I have built 2 .264LBC uppers, barrels from the great folks at Black Hole Weaponry. One is an 18 inch the other is a 20 inch 1:8. Very pleased, A2
Posts: 241
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
1075 tech Wrote:Unfortunately, some of us, for the time being, are trapped behind enemy lines and live in places where we cannot order ammo on line. In NY, I can order it if I can find an FFL that is also registered as a dealer in ammunition willing to accept it, and an online vendor that will send it to them after the appropriate paperwork. The unknown is how much the FFL will charge to be the middle man. Most around my area are getting $30-$35 to do a firearm transfer.
That is just so sad and almost unbelievable! I can't believe we all live in the same country, given the vast differences in experiences related to the 2nd Amendment. Today, Lt. Gov of CA (who is running for Gov) is proposing background checks for AMMO - and hopes that CA can become the "model" for the rest of the country. I have to confess, I am still buying components when I can (yes, hoarding) because there might come a time (as in if Hillary gets elected) when I can't. I certainly have more than I can shoot up in a reasonable time frame, but not enough stockpiled for a lifetime...yet. I hope America wakes up, collectively, before November 2016.
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Posts: 690
Threads: 70
Joined: Apr 2015
Savage Shooter Wrote:That is just so sad and almost unbelievable! I can't believe we all live in the same country, given the vast differences in experiences related to the 2nd Amendment. Today, Lt. Gov of CA (who is running for Gov) is proposing background checks for AMMO - and hopes that CA can become the "model" for the rest of the country. I have to confess, I am still buying components when I can (yes, hoarding) because there might come a time (as in if Hillary gets elected) when I can't. I certainly have more than I can shoot up in a reasonable time frame, but not enough stockpiled for a lifetime...yet. I hope America wakes up, collectively, before November 2016.
The background check for ammo was part of Cuomo's SAFE Act. Two years in, they decided to put it on hold as they hadn't figured out how to do it. Originally, they were going to use the federal NICS but the feds said no. They can't keep up with demand now. Sadly, Cuomo won re-election with less than 10 of the states 62 counties. To be governor, you only need to win the popular vote in NYC.
Some companies are saying FUAC and sending ammo direct to customers. Others will only ship to FFL.
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Joined: Oct 2015
I csn answer my personal experiences with why 6.5 isn't popular.
I currently own several 5.56 ars. I have a a farm where 25-300 yard shots at deer or other things would be common. I even have open 800-1000 yard shots possible. I have shot several deer with 223 and under 100 yqrds or maybe 200 would have no qualms, but longer ranges are iffy. I began looking into an alternate round to replace my 5.56 and settled upon 6.8 because it claims to be superior in sbrs and ammo availability. Ling range performance deteriorates though.
After settling on 300 blackout I decided on 6.5 grendel. It appears to also be the most versatile, will work well in a 12.5 or 14.5 whike still having much better range than 6.8, 5.56, and 300 blackout.
The challenges are questionable bolts which scare away a lot of people. Imho the biggest challenge are quality mags. They seem to be iffy compared to the brain dead reliability of pmags or lancers. Personally, if the 6.5 pcc were designed to fit in pmags instead of trying to get the max potential out of the case I would far prefer that.
As someone pointed out to me, we have another year until another election and possible Democrat president which if another horrible tragedy occurs could cause a assault weapons ban. Bye bye mags, bye bye alternative rounds.
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
The challenges you just mentioned have less to do with the Grendel round and more to do with people trying to make do with something that May work or buying from someone trying to "knock off" the Grendel or simply buying the absolute cheapest thing they can find.
I'm not trying to be snobby but I will never buy any part that should be Grendel specific from anyone other than Alexander Arms or Precision Firearms.
Posts: 189
Threads: 11
Joined: Sep 2014
While not optimum by any means you can use Pmags and steel/alum AR mags in a pinch. I did it just Monday evening when I got to the range to dial in my iron sights and realized my grendel mags were back home in the pelican case ready to fly out of town for a hunt... I put 20rnds thru the gun 5 the 1st time and then the remaining 15 after that with zero issues.
Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
Anderson Pistol lower:
16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
rabiddawg Wrote:The challenges you just mentioned have less to do with the Grendel round and more to do with people trying to make do with something that May work or buying from someone trying to "knock off" the Grendel or simply buying the absolute cheapest thing they can find.
I'm not trying to be snobby but I will never buy any part that should be Grendel specific from anyone other than Alexander Arms or Precision Firearms.
He was right on the money with the magazines. For a target range and hunting the magazines available are perfectly acceptable. However, for a SHTF or truck gun where you require multiple magazines of 25 plus rounds, they're adequate at best. I love my Grendels in my AR15. When you push a platform to its maximum potential there is going to be trade offs. The Elanders and C Products I have, all from AA, function at full capacity as far as I can tell, but I haven't ran them hard. The rattle of that round or 2 that isn't stacked right when at full capacity is unacceptable, but at the same time seems to be a necessary evil.
The fact of the matter is that the Grendel is the optimum round for the AR15 platform; however, the AR15 is not the optimal platform for the Grendel round. It needs a wider magazine weld. Lengthening it as well, would help optimize the Grendel round.
And as I've said in previous posts on this subject, I believe a platform optimized for the Grendel would likely result in a sweet 7mm version of the Grendel in the AR15.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
cory Wrote:He was right on the money with the magazines. For a target range and hunting the magazines available are perfectly acceptable. However, for a SHTF or truck gun where you require multiple magazines of 25 plus rounds, they're adequate at best. I love my Grendels in my AR15. When you push a platform to its maximum potential there is going to be trade offs. The Elanders and C Products I have, all from AA, function at full capacity as far as I can tell, but I haven't ran them hard. The rattle of that round or 2 that isn't stacked right when at full capacity is unacceptable, but at the same time seems to be a necessary evil.
+1 on wanting a dead to rights reliable SHTF kit. My ASC and Elanders function 100% from 1st to last round.
I deadened the full mag rattle of my elanders with some camo tape wrapped around the lower portion. Or, should I say, after I wrapped the mags with camo tape, I noticed the rattle was significantly deadened.
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Everyone has a great point on why this round is in it's current spot. I have pushed this round since 2009 to help make it more accepted.
The Jap's were the reason for the lack of acceptance - my old man told me in '08 when my upper arrived. America hates the 6.5 round.!!! WWII.
I have not shot a 6.8 spc. round yet. I read a lot on the calibers, and the ballistic comparisons. 6.5 & 6.8 are same out to say 275-325 yds.
As far as on game results. So is my 7.62x40 WT .... It is the .300 BLK's BIGGER bro. It was not meant to run subsonic.
It really is a 30-30 AR.
We - that own the 6.5 Grrr- know how easy it is to load, shoot, get bullets, powder for. For this cool round.
Loaded ammo is a beatch,,, I'm working on that here . I signed a -gag order---- no details release order. I'm doing my best is all I can say for now.
It will happen. semi soon. Sorry for the tease, smile if you don't reload,,, I'm busy always for this round.
It takes time to gain a following , sometimes. After 3 -4 crashes of this forum, I can see how things could look to the angered, or unsure people out there.
We are a small, yet growing group of 6.5 Grr enthusiasts that won't give up hope.
Look how many more companies that are making- licensed - to produce Grrr products. A snowball starts small, remember? While rolling down a huge snowy hill. It's still up to us all to promote this round- it's our mission to get more factory ammo- PUSH THE ROUND when you can!
Posts: 4,033
Threads: 106
Joined: Apr 2011
What's a 6.5 Grendel?
|