Posts: 1,613
Threads: 24
Joined: Sep 2014
I like "overbuilt" = more reliable.
On the other hand, "clunky" is a statement of the observer's artistic and cultural bias. We Americans have a different appreciation of art in utilitarian items than do others. With all due respect to the Russian culture, I like ours better. (One would think I'm a bit biased....)
shootersnotes.com
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Posts: 4,033
Threads: 106
Joined: Apr 2011
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:The most serious flaw in the entire AK program, IMO (mine are almost never humble )... Ha! Even those people who use "IMHO" are seldom truly humble in their opinions.
Quote:...is the lack of an integrated top-cover rail. But I don't think it's worth fussing about at this time because it's more important to get a good base model flowing in and mod it here than to wait for "perfection." I'd rather some American ingenuity be applied to the problem, anyway, because if the Russians do it, it will probably be overbuilt and clunky.
The railed top cover on the AK12 does look beefy, but IMNSHO,  not really clunky.
As for American-made railed top covers, note what Larry Vickers says in regard to the one used by Russki counter-terrorist guys. Also note the flex in that top cover during firing.
[video=youtube;ZxhTNZ1wAsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhTNZ1wAsc[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhTNZ1wAsc
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
Larry has pretty good taste in that vid. "I'd buy that for a dollar!"....
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Well, in my Honest opinion :-), I think the Zenit rails are really good, but way overpriced...If the Texas Weapons Systems dust cover rail can hold an aimpoint mounted as high as it is this video, and maintain a reasonable zero, I think I'll be able to make it work.
It does bring up one last point......anybody else notice how low the buttstock ends up with the slant receiver adapters? One of the things that make even the original wood stock uncomfortable for me is the lack of a proper cheek weld....feels more like a jaw weld when using a scope.
So my last request for Mr. Alexander, Either a higher mount for the stock adaptor, or a stock that has an adjustable cheek piece.
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
GSPHunter Wrote:Well, in my Honest opinion :-), I think the Zenit rails are really good, but way overpriced...If the Texas Weapons Systems dust cover rail can hold an aimpoint mounted as high as it is this video, and maintain a reasonable zero, I think I'll be able to make it work.
It does bring up one last point......anybody else notice how low the buttstock ends up with the slant receiver adapters? One of the things that make even the original wood stock uncomfortable for me is the lack of a proper cheek weld....feels more like a jaw weld when using a scope.
So my last request for Mr. Alexander, Either a higher mount for the stock adaptor, or a stock that has an adjustable cheek piece.
You got that right. The AK sucks with any type of optic. A low mount instead of the high mount with the Aim Point would have been much more practical. The older stocks with more drop were much more comfortable than the revised straighter stocks. They straightened the stock to copy the AR platform for recoil reduction but created a stock that just doesn't work or fit.
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
07-28-2015, 03:46 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015, 04:31 AM by GSPHunter.)
I really like this setup for a Grendel AK, maybe with the TWS railed cover? The Canis adapter is definitely the one I would put on it.
The Magpul CTR with the replaceable risers looks pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0N0Fs0ov1w
Posts: 12
Threads: 1
Joined: Oct 2012
I am glad Bill used the term "butt ugly". He said what I was thinking but I respect Bill Alexander to much to have called it "butt ugly".
Posts: 34
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2015
Mechanically superb, but cosmetically, the neutered 16" AK just looks horrid. Now do not get me wrong the 24" barrel variant looks quite decent with the thumbhole stock and long hand guard sans top cover
Actually been looking around to de-ugly the gun and may go with the Magpul parts initially as they seem to have decent ergonomics. While many may eschew the use of the side rail on the AK it does provide a mechanically robust mount while allowing for simplicity of access to the mechanism. Must admit I have no use for a hold open on an AK and a notch in the dust cover is not a way I wish to go.
This is actually very interesting. Beyond the initial testing and sign off which is nothing more than a cursory verification that the Russians did a fine job, it is strange and interesting to delve into the details of AKs and related aftermarket parts after all these years of dealing with ARs
One detail we did uncover is that for those who wish to feed this rifle match ammunition such as the Scenar loads it is prudent to very slightly increase the radius edges on the bottom of the barrel. They work without question with the steel cased ammunition but will slightly shave the softer gilding metal projectiles.
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Thanks, Bill. While you're checking on things please see if Molot can't provide from the factory a NON-slant receiver. I'm sure they have a factory receiver with a standard AK squared-off rear that accepts standard AK buttstock parts. I would think that importing this version would also be a hit with other AK calibers. I'm not up on the AK market, but I'm seeing a lot of consternation regarding the slant receiver and I agree.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
Front Sight on gas tube, looks better! With the new laws the AK after market parts took off!
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 345
Threads: 22
Joined: Mar 2012
Any updates on these units?
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Buster Wrote:Any updates on these units?
Ditto, any up-dates to report?
Posts: 509
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2014
Ah... Who is Mach 1 Armory? And are they selling AK Grendels like their websits says?
|