Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My First 6.5GR
#1
My first AR and first Grendel. Primary use for the rifle will be Deer Hunting and Plinking. Havent had a chance to take it to the range yet to break in the barrel and test accuracy, but I will post target pics as soon as I get the chance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6367[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6368[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6369[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6370[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6371[/ATTACH]

SPECS:
Anderson Lower
DPMS Slick Side Upper
Shilen 20" Barrel & Bolt
Syrac Ordnance Adjustable Low Profile Gas Block
AP Custom 15" Carbon Free Float Tube
Magpul MOE Rifle Stock
Ergo Grip
Velocity Single Stage Trigger
Tactical Galaxy Charging Handle
Tactical Galaxy Lower Magazine Release Catch
Tactical Galaxy Magazine Extended Release Button
Leupold IMS Mounting System
Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 Scope
Reply
#2
Welcome to the horde!

Where ya hail from?
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#3
Nice set-up. Be interested in how you like shooting with the slick side receiver? Where and how the brass ejects without the receiver bump-out? Look forward to a range report. Welcome to the Horde.
Reply
#4
Thanks for the welcomes. I hail from Northwest Georgia.

I had an Anderson Upper with a brass deflector that I was going to use for this build, but decided to order the slick side since I will mainly be using it for hunting. I will try to remember to note where the brass is being ejected when I take it to the range in case anybody else was thinking of using a slick side.

Hopefully I can take it out this weekend for a little range session if the weather stays nice.
Reply
#5
Welcome aboard. Looks like a great little hunting stick. That AP Customs handguard sure sheds the weight.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#6
Yes, that AP Custom is nice. Feels good and is very light. It saved a lot of forward weight and helped balance the rifle a little better. Total weight of the rifle with optics and unloaded is 9.3lbs.
Reply
#7
Haven't had a chance to take the rifle out yet. Weather has been terrible on the days I could have possibly went. Either raining or very windy. Hopefully I will get a chance to get out on a day the weather is good.
Reply
#8
Love those AP Customs handguards. I have one on my Mega Arms/Lilja build. Changes the whole feel of the rifle. Nice boom stick!
Reply
#9
Thanks shooter 545
Reply
#10
Finally found a little time to get out and shoot today. Weather Conditions were not that great with 15-25MPH winds, but it was sunny and 63 degrees. Did a little barrel breakin and shot a couple groups, then just for fun shot the last 2 rounds I had with me at 400yds.

The Velocity Single Stage trigger I put in the Grendel is very nice. No slack or takeup, just a nice clean break just like a bolt rifle. I would highly recommend them to anyone who likes a Single Stage trigger over a 2 Stage or MilSpec Triggers.

I like the slick side upper without shell deflector also. All the shells landed in a nice small area Exactly 7 feet (measured by tape to center of group) at a slight 45 degree angle from the ejection port.


Ammo used is Factory Hornady Match 123gr A-max loads. Velocity over a 10 shot barrel breakin string averaged 2519.4fps, which is not bad for a 20" barrel. Largest velocity deviation was 27fps.

My setup for the day was not ideal for accuracy since I was mainly just playing and trying to break in the barrel a bit. It worked out pretty well and showed potential for accuracy with better weather and setup conditions.

Here is a pic of the Setup. Front is BogPod Camo Legged Devil and rear is a modified Camera Tripod with a "V" rest on top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6426[/ATTACH]

3 shot at 100 yards after initial breakin and sighting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6423[/ATTACH]

Downrange at 400yd attempt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6424[/ATTACH]

2 Shots at 400yds guessing on the dial adjustment and gusting winds.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6425[/ATTACH]

All in All, I like the rifle and it shows good signs of accuracy. I look forward to getting setup on a bench and seeing what it can really do some day. Should be a good Deer Getter this Fall.
Reply
#11
Looks like a nicely balanced setup. I'm amazed how rigid the carbon fiber hand guard is even with a bipod, sling, lights etc. No flex and the present model (yours) has a better mount than the previous version.
Reply
#12
I really like the mount on the AP Carbon handguard too. No need for a barrel nut and a very solid base.
Reply
#13
Well, I decided to build another Grendel, but this time it will be a bolt gun. Love this little round.

Build probably wont be finished until early 2016 due to wait time for the barrel. I will definately post pics as soon as its complete and in my hands.

Rifle is being built by Doyle at Dixie Guns here in Georgia. Components will be Blueprinted Rem 700 short action, Pacific Tool Bolt with m16 Extractor, 24" Kreiger Barrel #4 Contour with 5R 1:9 twist, Badger Ordnance Recoil Lug, HS Precision Sporter Stock and topped off with a Leupold VX6 3-18x44. Should be a nice hunting setup and range plinker. Cant wait to get it back and hit the range.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)