01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
MIDWAY HAS AR STONER MGS ON SALE FOR 10.99 ea.
|
25 Round Mags.
|
|
01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
MIDWAY HAS AR STONER MGS ON SALE FOR 10.99 ea.
01-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Interesting these are on sale. I have 3 Grendels & plenty of mags. However, I recently converted a buddy to the 6.5G & he is looking for mags. What is the reputation of the AR Stoner mags? Are they reliable & durable? My old CProducts mags have always been 100%. Any feedback or guidance I can get to share with him is most appreciated.
R4B
01-19-2014, 03:20 AM
I love my c products Mag's but my asc Mag's aren't worth a crap
01-19-2014, 04:00 AM
Well, acknowledging that ASC = AR-Stoner, I can say that I've bought both, in the last 14 months, and have never had any issues, whatsoever, with either. I'd read that sometime back, both CProducts and ASC were having issues, but I think that that is now water under the bridge, so to speak.
I've used both 10 and 17 round varieties.
01-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I have some C-Product 25 rounders and AR Stoner's. They are the same, just different floor plates. Anyhow who can afford to use the 25 round mags and if bench shooting, there too long. I like the 10 rounders the best and the 15 round straight bodies will be coming out in April. They are changing the tooling in February to run them. According to my source. He's been right consistently on his information.
01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I bought 4 of the 25 rounders and 1 of the 5 rounders for hunting. I figure if the spring is too weak to push them up then I might try to figure some way to modify them.
01-21-2014, 12:11 AM
i bought 4 25 rd AR Stoner mags when i purchased my barrel (under 3 weeks ago) and not a single one will work properly with 25 rds in it. I just started loading to ~15rds and they work great. A review on Midway said the thick gunky paint was to blame and after sanding some off his functioned fine so i plan on trying that.
01-21-2014, 12:14 AM
mccuistion Wrote:i bought 4 25 rd AR Stoner mags when i purchased my barrel (under 3 weeks ago) and not a single one will work properly with 25 rds in it. I just started loading to ~15rds and they work great. A review on Midway said the thick gunky paint was to blame and after sanding some off his functioned fine so i plan on trying that. What type of issues did you run into? Feeding fully loaded, feeding the last 4 or 5?
01-21-2014, 12:32 AM
R4B, this is my first purchase of AR stoner mags. My intent is to cut them to the 15-17 capacity range-using a custom floorplate,-- that I make here-once in a while.
We found the way to get the end mill involved. Soon to be a polymer unit As a floorplate . Bill A. stated when the AA mags. were purchased- One needs to burnish the mag. before using it. Good advice!! A few have stated that the follower is too short- lengthwise, on the Stoner mag. followers. I will report back as to what I find. They are to be here in a few days. There is a small cure if it rocks fore & aft. too much.
01-21-2014, 12:42 AM
I guess I am oblivious. How do you burnish a mag?
01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
tackdriver Wrote:I guess I am oblivious. How do you burnish a mag? I clean with CLP, polish inside with Flitz (reduces scratches on the brass), then clean with CLP, and then try to rub all of the CLP off.
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
We always took our issued Alum mags apart, replaced the followers with magpul, springs with wolff and scotchbrited the crap out of the inside until the anodizing was thin, then graphited them. Never had a malfunction due to mags (This was pre Pmag)
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
customcutter Wrote:What type of issues did you run into? Feeding fully loaded, feeding the last 4 or 5? The issue i ran into was if any of the 4 mags were loaded past ~17 rounds they wouldn't feed at all. They might work once then the follower would get stuck and the remaining 16 rounds had no spring tension pushing them up. Even pushing around and pulling out a few rounds wouldn't do the trick... granted i haven't burnished any of them yet. I haven't had time to fiddle with them yet so i haven't lost hope... as of now they function flawlessly as 15 rd mags and i will get to working on them here soon.
01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
If i decide to purchase new followers does anyone have a brand they suggest? or certain type? If burnishing them down doesn't do the trick i plan on getting followers/springs.
01-22-2014, 12:56 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 01:11 AM by sneaky one.)
They arrived today- the 3 mags. They function fine. I will use Dupont Teflon Non stick Dry film lubricant on the insides of them-then wipe semi dry. It is in a 4 oz. bottle. Me like!
I bought these to get to the 17 rnd mode,. it is a perfect size for Benchwork-hunting too.
01-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Been thinking/pondering the Grendel mag design/construction ammo mag capacity count and was wondering if a billet mag might be in order to get a true 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 round count...something along the line of this:
![]() What do y'all think? Not sure if I'm willing to pay 125 bucks for a "true advertised capacity" mag or not, but things like this just get me to thinking...
01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm still hoping that now colt and a few other first line manufacturers are turning to Grendel, we might get Polymer mags made by a reputable manufacturer, Magpul, Tangodown, Troy, Lancer etc.. I'm not a big Metal mag guy anymore, even though I used them all the way up until my last deployment because I remember the times I had bent feed lips and mag that got bent in the pouch etc. Also remember when privates turned their old ones in the Armorers were throwing them in a big box to be handed out again... Magpul mags just dont fail in my experience, I'm a big guy so when I had to jump down to prone with a bunch of mags Kangaroo style, they bend if metal so I had to adjust my kit. I tried the magpul mags in an intensive year long train up prior to the last deployment and I never had a problem with them bending or breaking personally. I did see one in country that had been shot and it still ran, he just popped the bottom off and cleaned the plastic burrs off the hole and the damn thing ran like a top. It ran before his deburring until it was empty. Besides I hate the fact that I spent a lot of time and energy to reduce the weight of my rifle for hunting now that I'm disabled and put a almost 1 pound 5 round mag in it... Seems counter-productive ....
01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Thus far everyone says polymer is a no go for the Grendel the round is to fat to make a polymer mag which fits into a ar magwell sturdy
Punctuation is for the weak....
01-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Mags arrived today. 3 of 4 25 rounders drop out of the lower fine. 4th will need a little finessing. 5 round CP drops fine also. That's with a Spike's lower. I'll let you know how they funtion on feeding when I get a chance to go to the range.
01-24-2014, 05:28 AM
A hybrid magazine would work fine for a Grendel, with a metal body for the lips and inside the magwell, and a polymer body outside the magwell.
The original prototype Armalite AR15 25rd mags were pretty interesting. Production mags became a 20rd waffle, then the Colt 20rd mags that were used in Vietnam. The first 30rd mags were a constant-curve offered through Brownell's, and purchased by guys in the Studies and Observation Group. The dual curve 30rd M16 mag came after that, and was standard for decades, with at least 3 different follower upgrades, numerous contractors, dry film lubes, etc. ![]() The Grendel uses a different mag body, different feed lip geometry, presentation angle, different follower, and several iterations of tweaks back and forth until it was reliable. I think something like this would be ideal for a polymer steel hybrid magazine for the Grendel:
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|