Judging from the posts I have seen, there does not seem to be one favored projectile for TX piggies.
Any opinionated proponents of a particular projectile?
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
I loaded a variety of ammo for a Texas hog hunt, unfortunately my plans for the hunt never materialized. I loaded some 120 grain Sierra pro-hunters, 120 grain Nosler BT & 125 grain Nosler partitions. In lighter bullets I loaded 100 grain Barnes TTSX and 100 grain Nosler partitions. I think the new 123 SST or 120 grain Remington core lock would also work.
The 125 gr Noslers sound intriguing and the 130 gr Swift Sciroccos caught my eye. Any experience with those?
Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
we typically shoot 30-35 hogs a year on our place in west Texas, so my recommendation is based only on our personal usage of bullets here. The Barnes TSX has become the predominant bullet type in our rifles. If you want a bullet that's consistent in expansion, leaves a double bore diameter exit hole, and will pass through nearly anything you shoot with it, use a 120gr. TSX. We've yet to recover any on hogs ranging in size from 80-330lbs.
John 11:25-26
people take them out with a 223, anything you load will take down a pig
Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
we use factory loaded Alexander Arms 120gr. Barnes. As a side note, we shoot our pigs through the center of the shoulder...never recovered a Barnes bullet, rarely do pigs run.
So if you want the possibility of a pass through kill on the pig behind the pig you're shooting, use a Barnes bullet. I haven't tried pass throughs with the Grendel yet, but we've had 2 and 3 hog kills with 1 shot from 130gr. TSX 270Win's, 100gr. TSX 257WthbyMag, and 165gr. TSX 300WinMag.
John 11:25-26